Topic Author
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:29 am


Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:57 pm

Given that Dartmouth is a 4.5 hour drive from where I live in NJ, my parents aren't exactly too keen on driving back and forth, so for the Thanksgiving break, I took the Dartmouth Coach from Hanover down to Logan airport (probably the nicest bus I've ever been on -- movies, snacks, and headphone ports with music at each seat) and then flew CO down to EWR from BOS.

Nov. 19, 2007
Schedule Departure: 3:30 PM
Actual Departure: 4:53 PM
Scheduled Arrival: 5:20 PM
Actual Arrival: ~6:00 PM

I had two classes that morning, from 8:45 AM until 11:05 AM, and when I quickly stopped by my room after my second class to check on my flight status, it had already been delayed until 6:45 PM due to "air traffic control". I was originally booked on CO1197, departing at 5:45 PM, but given that it was only 11:15 AM and it was delayed an hour, I was expecting that it would only get worse as the day went on. According to my parents, the weather at home in NJ had been extremely windy, so I wasn't terribly surprised that EWR was already backed up. I called CO reservations to see if they could rebook me on an earlier flight that had been delayed until my original time. The agent, Tim, was particularly helpful, and recommended that I be reaccomodated on the 3:30 PM flight, which had been delayed until 5:30 PM -- 15 minutes earlier than my original flight time. The bus would be arriving into Logan at 3:50 PM, so 5:30 was perfect. He unchecked me in from my scheduled flight, and I went online and printed out a new boarding pass for my new flight. I packed up my stuff, got food for lunch, and then I boarded the Dartmouth Coach at 1:00 PM. We arrived into Logan right on time at 3:50 PM, and I got off at Terminal A.

Wow -- what an improvement for CO over where they used to be located over in Terminal C. The terminal is really nice, modern, and spacious -- although given that it was recently opened, I wasn't terribly surprised. I quickly checked the departure monitors to see if the flight was still delayed until 5:30 PM, but it wasn't listed, so I briefly panicked, expecting that it had received an early release time and had already departed. I went over to the CO counter, where there was almost no line, and the agent told me not to worry; it was still sitting at the gate. I headed to security, which only had a ~10 minute wait, at most. The TSA was fine -- not overly friendly, but not rude either, and they were pretty quick and efficient. I walked over to the gate, where my flight was still showing a delay until 5:30 PM, which was fine with me -- it was earlier than my original flight anyway, so I wasn't complaining. I asked the gate agent, Cristina, if she expected that we'd have any further delay, and she said that as of right now, the time had stayed the same for a while, but anything was possible with EWR delays. She was really friendly, as were the other two gate agents for the flight.

By this point, it was about 4:20 PM, and the gate agents made an announcement that we'd begin boarding in approximately a half hour, but not to go too far from the gate, etc., but before she could even put down the mic, the delay time on the screen jumped from 5:30 to 4:43 PM. So then she said, "Wait a second, scratch that, we're going to start boarding right now. We have a new wheels-up time of 4:55, and if everyone isn't on board and seated by 4:43, we're going to take another 45 minute delay." They immediately started boarding the plane -- F, eliteAccess, then by rows in coach -- the standard CO process. I got in line when they called my row, and the gate agent was scanning BPs as fast as she could. However, half the time, she was so impatient in waving them around under the scanner that they didn't scan, and she ended up having to type them in manually anyway. It was kind of ridiculous.

Anyway, I walked down the jetway, but when I got to the plane, there were no F/A's at the door; instead, all three of them were in the aisles trying to get everyone's bags in the overhead bins as fast as they could. Literally, one of the two male F/A's was literally chucking people's luggage in the bins, telling everyone to sit down ASAP. They kept making announcements for everyone to get seated and stowed as quickly as possible, and the F/A's were running around to try and get everyone situated. It was a little chaotic, but it was certainly the fastest boarding I've ever seen on CO. Typical for CO, the cabin was immaculate, and there were pillows and blankets in each row. Now, while I understand that CO is trying to market itself as a full-service carrier, but blankets and pillows on an afternoon BOS-EWR flight? If you're trying to cut costs, that would seem like the first place where you could cut them and nobody would mind... But then again, I'm sure that they have their reasons (brand consistency, maybe?).

We managed to push back from the gate at 4:42 PM, and we immediately taxiied over to the runway and took off less than 10 minutes later -- the captain (a female, actually), was speeding along on the taxiway, WN-style. Shortly after we took off, the lead F/A did the usual "welcome OnePass members, flying time, etc." spiel, and they started doing the beverage service shortly after that. The flying time was only 32 minutes, short even by BOS-EWR standards, so the F/A's were going through the cabin as quickly as they could with the drink cart. I think that the best way to describe CO F/A's is "professional" -- they were all polite and efficient, but none of them were overly gushing or fawning, which honestly, was fine with me.

There isn't much else to comment about on the flight -- it was so short, we landed only a few minutes after they came through to pick up garbage from the service. We landed on 22L, and we were literally at the gate within 90 seconds of landing -- we pulled right up, and they had the jetway attached and cabin door opened within 20 seconds, at most. I headed out to the arrivals roadway, where my dad picked me up and we headed home to northern NJ.

Excellent job by CO, as usual, and thanks to the helpful reservations agent, the delay was no big deal -- I ended up arriving home earlier than my original flight would have arrived -- and I live 40 minutes away from EWR.

I'll write the return when I have some free time later...

[Edited 2007-12-12 11:36:06]
Topic Author
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:29 am


Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:06 pm

Nov. 25, 2007
Scheduled Departure: 11:00 AM
Actual Departure: 10:57 AM
Scheduled Arrival: 12:13 PM
Actual Arrival: 12:05 PM

After thoroughly enjoying a week of doing basically nothing at home, it was time to head back up to Dartmouth to finish out the last two weeks of the term. My mom dropped me off in front of Terminal A at about 9:45 AM, and I headed inside to the CO ticket counter, where the line had about 4 people in it. There was a CO agent directing people in line to the different available kiosks at the counter, which given that there were only about 10 of them, was kind of unnecessary. But hey, at least she kept things moving in line. I walked up to an available kiosk after waiting maybe a minute, at most, and checked in my one bag. After about 20 seconds, a CO agent behind the counter walked over and tagged my bag. He gave me a quick "Good morning," and I joked with him that it must get boring to be in Terminal A. He said, "Yeah, sometimes it's kind of boring to basically check in people that are only going to five different places, but it's not nearly as crazy as Terminal C."

I then went down to security, where the line was only about 5 minutes long. I noticed that the TSA had the puffer machine all set up for use, but they were directing everyone to walk around it and only use the metal detector. Sure seems like a significant waste of money to buy these fancy machines that they don't even use...anyway, I digress. Security was the same as it always is, although the TSA agents were pretty cranky, to be honest. I normally don't really have much of an impression about them one way or another, but they certainly weren't very friendly that morning...but I digress.

My flight was on time, and as I walked up to the gate, the aircraft was arriving from the inbound flight. The gate agent happened to poke her head around the counter to see if the plane was there, and when she saw it pull up, she let out a gasp, ran over to the jetway door, whipped it open (which resulted in quite the crash as it flung around and hit the wall), and bolted down the jetway. Everyone in the gate area looked up when they heard the crash, and the people that hadn't been paying attention were a little puzzled. It was pretty funny, honestly. I watched as the ramp crew serviced the plane for its turn, and I noticed a cleaning crew from "Ultimate Airport Services" (or something like that) board the plane toting big bags of pillows, blankets, and an electric broom, among other cleaning supplies.

We started boarding right on time at about 10:25, and while the agent at the podium was friendly, the agent at the boarding door clearly wanted to be somewhere else at the moment. She didn't say a word to anyone as she scanned their boarding passes, and let out a heavy sigh every now and then. As she took my boarding pass, I said, "Thanks, have a nice day!" which was acknowledged with a rather pathetic-sounding "Thanks." Well, there's the infamous crappy attitude that some of CO's staff at EWR are known for having. Eh, I guess that everyone has a bad day every now and then.

There were two F/A's standing at the door to the plane, both of which were happily greeting pax as we got onboard. The flight was completely full, and there were a TON of college students on board -- I saw many people in the gate area with sweatshirts from Boston-area schools: Northeastern, Harvard, Tufts, etc. The plane pushed back a few minutes early, after the pilot's greeting where he told us to "Sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight with some of CO's finest flight attendants."

We only waited about 5 minutes to take off, which was certainly a bonus, given that EWR often has ridiculous waits for takeoff, and the flight was about 45 minutes long in total flying time. The F/A's came through with a beverage service, and they certainly high-tailed it through the cabin to get to all of the rows. They were of standard CO quality -- professional and courteous, so no complaints there. We hit quite a few bumps on the way down into Logan, and after landing, we were at the gate after about 8-9 minutes of taxiing. I headed down to baggage claim after making a quick stop at Wendy's across from the gate to get lunch, but when I went downstairs, there wasn't any listing of our flight on any of the arrival monitors nor on the baggage carousel itself. I walked over to the baggage service window, and the agent confirmed that our bags would be coming on the CO carousel. After maybe 5 minutes of waiting, all of the bags started to come out, with eliteAccess tags first, followed by everyone else. My bag was probably the 3rd or 4th out of the non-priority bags, so no complaints there, either.

All in all, another standard, reliable CO flight. Except for the cranky gate agent at EWR (which, in the grand scheme of things, is a pretty minimal problem), CO was excellent as usual.
Posts: 7543
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:52 am


Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:32 am

CO has always met and/or exceeeded my expectations every time I've flown with them. Glad you liked your flights. They usually get the job done well.
Posts: 13215
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm


Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:06 pm

Nice TR,

Seems that CO have a really nice crew. Seems that they are friendly.

Really good that you enjoyed your flights with CO.

Thank you for sharing

Work Hard, Fly Right

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos