SuseJ772
Topic Author

Two Private Jets, The Dreamlifter & Air Force One

Wed May 28, 2008 4:12 am

When my boss and I travel, we sometimes take a private plane. What I enjoy about that (amongst the flying part) is we always stop off at Waffle House before proceeding onto the airport. I love the contrast of sectors of life (for those who don't know, Waffle House is kind of "dumpy" - but awesome waffles). Well today topped that. Why? Because there aren't too many days you wake up in a Motel 6, only to board a private jet. And that isn't where the fun ended.

I was vacationing down in Hilton Head when the friends I were with (who were 7 months pregnant) went into labor 2-months early. We spent the next couple of days in Charleston, SC. When the baby was ready to be moved by private Lifeguard flight, my friend's boss sent their company's private jet to pick us up in Charleston, I was ecstatic.

We show up at the airport with our jet and and the lifeguard jet sitting next to each other on the tarmac. I try and look smart by picking out which jet is which, but I end up just making myself look stupid by picking out the wrong one. Luckily for me, I covered well and said, "ohh I have just been following too many flights on FlightAware." This prompted the co-pilot (Wes) to say, "ohh, are you a pilot?" And I responded, "I am trying to be." He responded, "well then, we'll have you up to flight deck." I think, "Awesome."

Right as we are hopping onto the plane, Boeing's DreamLifter was taking off out of Charleston. What a rare site. Only a couple hundred feet away. Most of you know, the plane is designed to transport large parts of the 787 from the factories around the world, to Boeing's factory in Seattle.

We take off and head directly to Fort Wayne. At about 12,000 feet (10 minutes into the flight), Wes comes back and asks if I would like to sit up front. I was thrilled. I sat down and for the next hour or so, sat at the controls. It was AWESOME!

Then the most amazing thing happened. The pilot (Steve) and I are listening to air traffic control (like we should be), and then all of the sudden we hear instructions to another plane reference Air Force One. Steve and I quickly look at each other with a "no-way" face. He said he has been flying for years and never been in the same airspace as Air Force One.

We got in a little bit of trouble because we were speeding up to catch the other jet, and ATC got on and said, "207AH, I know you're trying to catch company in front, but please slow down 30 knots."

We landed directly into FWA around 12:05 - right behind the other plane.

All and all, quite an exciting morning. Maybe that is why I passed out for 3 hours this afternoon.

The Raytheon Premier 1 was quite a remarkable bird. It was built in October of 2008 (they traded in their "old," three-year old Premier 1 for it). It was a fully glass cockpit and I was very much amazed at the ease of use the avionics were and how comfortable the ride was.

Our Flight Tail Number: N207AH (Raytheon Premier 1)
Lifeguard Flight Tail Number: N42HN (LearJet 35)
Cruising Altitude: FL40
Speed: 426kts
Duration: 1h 22m
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

SOBHI51

RE: Two Private Jets, The Dreamlifter & Air Force One

Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 am

Seems you did have a lot of fun.Sitting in the cockpit is always a great adventure.
But

Quoting SuseJ772 (Thread starter):
It was built in October of 2008

We are only May 2008. Confused
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 1):
We are only May 2008.

Ok, I am an idiot. I meant October of 2007. Must get some sleep.

MadameConcorde

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:35 pm

I saw a Dreamlifter from a near distance at Nagoya airport when we were stranded with the A380 before going to Narita on the inaugural flight to Japan so there were two biggies at Nagoya airport that day of 20 May 2008. The A380 (unexpected) and the Dreamlifter, more usual there as they have one of the 787 parts factory somewhere right by the airport.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

davescj

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:42 pm

What a cool trip report! Thanks for posting!

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

TupolevTu154

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am

If only there were more reports of private jet flights! A nice read, and sounds like you had a great time!

Tom Big grin

SmokinL1011

RE: Two Private Jets, The Dreamlifter & Air Force

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Who is your boss? I want to work for him...  Smile

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:29 am

Quoting SmokinL1011 (Reply 6):
Who is your boss? I want to work for him... Smile

This wasn't my boss. I might have made that confusing. When I fly with my boss, I have yet to ride in the cockpit in his plane.

This time it was my friend's boss who sent his plane. He was an ex-New York Yankee who for the past 15 years or so has had an insurance company based in a very, very small town in Indiana. They insure Major League Baseball, the Olympics (when it is on US soil), and countless other "sports & entertainment" functions.