konstantinkoll

Reversed Mileage Run: LH DTM-MUC-HEL-FRA-MUC-DUS

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Welcome to my third trip report! Sorry that there are only some pictures this time, as the trip was in 2006 when I wasn't yet such an enthusiastic photographer.

In a normal mileage run, you spend as little money as possible to earn as many frequent flyer miles as possible (so you can afford that one award you're longing for). I have done quite the opposite for a mileage run: I had some miles in my account that were about to expire, and as someone who really enjoys flying, I wanted to get as many flights out of my miles as possible.

I ended up attending the Assembly computer fair in August 2006, and my routing was DTM-MUC-HEL and HEL-FRA-MUC-DUS. I've booked my award flights quite late, and just couldn't get any other routing:  cloudnine 

Outbound itinerary:
Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 56kb

Inbound itinerary:
Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 57kb

My flight started at the bus station outside my house in DTM around 9am. After an hour on the bus, I arrived at the airport at the other end of the city. Checkin there was a breeze (DTM is quite small), and I can still remember the puzzled look of the checkin agent when she looked at the itinerary on the passenger receipt. The first leg, DTM-MUC, was on a Canadair RJ 200, with only a drink service in Y. We've climbed out of DTM towards the West, and through some holes in the clouds I could see my house!  wave  We've arrived in MUC and parked on a remote stand, being bussed to the terminal.

It was my first time in MUC, and also the first time ever I had to make a connection. Therefore, I've allowed myself some comfortable 3 hours. All passengers from DTM were delivered at one end of terminal 2, and (you've gussed) it, I had to walk to the other end for my gate. There, a shiny A330 was docked!  airplane  Unfortunately, my flight to HEL was called out on a bus gate in the lower level, and the equipment was an A320. I have been upgraded to business class, seat 1A, on this flight. Lufthansa actually does not use dedicated J seats, but has got the same 3-3 seating throughout the aircraft. For the rows disgnated as J, they block all middle seats and have got small tray tables there. Very good place for your laptop!

After a rough climb through thick clouds and some turbulence, we've reached our flight level. Soon the first drink service began, followed by lunch: some nice chicken with rice and carrots in some brown sauce, accompanied by a roll with butter, a salad and some dessert. It was very good and more than welcome (no pics, sorry). The rest of the flight was rather uneventful with some more drinks, as I had to prepare some stuff on my laptop. Soon, we were above the baltic sea and approaching HEL:

Near the baltic sea:
Big version: Width: 224 Height: 300 File size: 11kb

The coast of Finland:
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 12kb

This picture was taken around midnight (note the still very bright sky):
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 17kb

The dome of Helsinki:
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 12kb

Ferries in the harbor:
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 20kb

After some great days in Helsinki (you should definately go there), it was time to get back home. I was a bit worried because I had to make 2 rather tight connections this day. The SAS checkin in HEL was very crowded, and the checkin agent said she could only route me DUS-FRA-MUC, and I couldn't get a boarding pass for MUC-DUS in HEL. Fortunately, she was wrong, and her computer printed three boarding passes, and a baggage tag all the way to DUS.  relieved 

The first flight was again on an A320, although this time with a very high load, and myself being placed in Y class. I was very surprised to be addressed by name this time (!), and got a nice pasta lunch (some tortellini in a rich tomatoe sauce, accompanied by the usual roll, salad and dessert):

"Off block" in HEL:
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 18kb

Over northern Germany:
Big version: Width: 224 Height: 300 File size: 9kb

Approaching FRA:
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 20kb

We were parked at a remote stand in FRA, which would eat into my connection. I blazed through FRAs terminals A and B, found my departure gate, and would be bussed to the next plane for FRA-MUC... which was a shiney A340-600! Yes!  highfive 

4 engines 4 uuuh - a short hop?
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 19kb

The massive tail of D-AIHH:
Big version: Width: 224 Height: 300 File size: 9kb

Boarding:
Big version: Width: 224 Height: 300 File size: 15kb

Over southern Germany:
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 17kb

This short hop offered a drink service even in Y, along with a very smooth flight. In MUC, I connected to the last flight of the day, MUC-DUS on a A320 (again). The last flight offered a drink service yet again, and I approached home as we were flying into the sunset:

Probably somewhere near FRA:
Big version: Width: 400 Height: 300 File size: 13kb

I hope you've enjoyed my trip report, and I'll appreciate your comments!
-Konstantin

OneWay

RE: Reversed Mileage Run: LH DTM-MUC-HEL-FRA-MUC-D

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:20 pm

Nice TR ! If you remember, what about the Business Meal ?
Luft A340-600 is 3+3+3 seats ? I don't remember  Smile
thanks for your nice contribution, florian

konstantinkoll

RE: Reversed Mileage Run: LH DTM-MUC-HEL-FRA-MUC-DUS

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 pm

Quoting OneWay (Reply 1):
Luft A340-600 is 3+3+3 seats ? I don't remember  

No, it's actually 2+4+2. I've been on longhaul with them several time since, and I must say that C and H are the best seats in the house.

Quoting OneWay (Reply 1):
thanks for your nice contribution, florian

That's Konstantin, not Florian  Wink

OneWay

RE: Reversed Mileage Run: LH DTM-MUC-HEL-FRA-MUC-DUS

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:34 pm

thanks for your answer, konstantin
I think 2+4+2, is better than 3+4+3 because when you travel, you travel with your family (2 adult + 2 child in general) or couple ! << Smile>>
no, florian is my name ! lol