Iloveboeing
Topic Author

DL ATL-CVG (738 W/winglets & PTVs!)

Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Yesterday, I flew on DL Flight 1702 from ATL to CVG. It was a short flight, but it was a refitted Boeing 737-800 that had winglets and PTVs!!

What a machine! I was impressed! Although the aircraft had not yet received the new DL colors (from what I could see), it was still a beautiful bird!

Boarding was kind of slow, considering people bring on (in my opinion) carry-ons that are WAY too big! But that was remedied by a smiling and friendly flight attendant who welcomed us onboard.

When I got to my seat (15F), I was really excited to see that I had a PTV screen (I was hoping it would be so, since I saw that it was a 738 with winglets!). I really liked the touchscreen interface! I pulled up the moving map (that is what I like most about PTVs!!) so I could watch our flight path.

We had an ontime departure, though taxiing in ATL was kind of slow, but we had some great views while doing so. I saw the "Fly Delta Jets" sign, and the DL maintenance hangars with several aircraft in them (752s, 738s, and M88s).

It was a rainy day, but we still had a pretty smooth takeoff. It was powerful, quiet and graceful. I was a little surprised with a 40-second takeoff (yes, I count, lol), considering we had winglets and the new light, slimline seats; maybe we weren't using full thrust...

I really like how DL (unlike other legacies) still gives some free snacks during their flights with the beverage service. Nice little touches like that make a big difference in the flight! We encountered some turbulance as we flew over the Appalachian Mountains. As a result, the flight attendants were unable to finish the beverage service (they got about halfway done).

One thing that I think that the flight attendants on that flight should be commended for is that they recognized the many military personnel we had onboard. They said something along the lines of, "I've noticed that we've got many military personnel with us today and we just wanted to say, 'Thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedom'" and we all clapped and cheered. I thought that was really nice!

We had a smooth landing in CVG and taxiing the gate didn't take long at all. I got off the flight and I smiled at the flight attendants and said, "Wonderful flight, thank you!!" They smiled back and said, "Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!" I should note that I have NEVER said that on a flight before. I have enjoyed many flights, but this flight was exceptional!

Well done DL!!!!

SXDFC

RE: DL ATL-CVG (738 W/winglets & PTVs!)

Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Great TR! Sounds like a blast to get on a 738 with PTVs! Glad you had fun
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

B747forever

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Nice TR

Dont you have any pics??

Quoting Iloveboeing (Thread starter):
the moving map (that is what I like most about PTVs!!)

The same for me. Love the moving map!!

They said something along the lines of, "I've noticed that we've got many military personnel with us today and we just wanted to say, 'Thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedom'"

Wow, that was a nice touch.

Thank you for sharing

B747forever
Work Hard, Fly Right

ContinentalEWR

Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:44 pm

I just flew JFK-SEA-JFK on one of those. Delta has done an awesome job sprucing up their interiors. The tatty, pin striped wall coverings and dirty seats have given way to a much cleaner fresher and modern feel. The PTV's have great programming too.

Av8rDAL

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:32 pm

I was a little surprised with a 40-second takeoff (yes, I count, lol), considering we had winglets and the new light, slimline seats; maybe we weren't using full thrust...

I've noticed this with AirTran as well. If you have a 10-12,000 foot runway, you may as well make the best use of it to reach the rotation airspeed rather than firewalling the throttles and blasting off in 5000 feet. Saves fuel just like when you take your time to reach cruise speed in your car (in lieu of gunning your engine).
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

MKP1013

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Nice report, thanks for sharing.

It was a rainy day, but we still had a pretty smooth takeoff. It was powerful, quiet and graceful. I was a little surprised with a 40-second takeoff (yes, I count, lol), considering we had winglets and the new light, slimline seats; maybe we weren't using full thrust...

I really like how DL (unlike other legacies) still gives some free snacks during their flights with the beverage service. Nice little touches like that make a big difference in the flight! We encountered some turbulance as we flew over the Appalachian Mountains. As a result, the flight attendants were unable to finish the beverage service (they got about halfway done

I like the 738 take offs too. Very smooth indeed compared to a classic 737 or a diesel 9. No, departing from ATL you wouldn't need 100% thrust under normal conditions. I'm sure your take off thrust was around 85-90%-ish N1.

I agree, you come to appreciate Delta's in flight service after flying American and receiving no free snack.

UN_B732

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:11 am

Or flying US and having to pay for your Coke  Smile At least the service goes by quickly.. lol.
What now?

PGNCS

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 pm

One thing that I think that the flight attendants on that flight should be commended for is that they recognized the many military personnel we had onboard. They said something along the lines of, "I've noticed that we've got many military personnel with us today and we just wanted to say, 'Thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedom'" and we all clapped and cheered. I thought that was really nice!

Glad that you had such a good trip; I also appreciate it when the FA's and/or pilots acknowledge the military people on board, and DL seems to be the best about doing that in my unscientific sample. I try to do it every time I know there are members of the armed forces onboard.

Quoting Av8rDAL (Reply 4):
I was a little surprised with a 40-second takeoff (yes, I count, lol), considering we had winglets and the new light, slimline seats; maybe we weren't using full thrust...

I've noticed this with AirTran as well. If you have a 10-12,000 foot runway, you may as well make the best use of it to reach the rotation airspeed rather than firewalling the throttles and blasting off in 5000 feet. Saves fuel just like when you take your time to reach cruise speed in your car (in lieu of gunning your engine).

It doesn't really save fuel so much as it saves engine wear. We derate the takeoff thrust as much as possible (within runway and climb limit requirements) to reduce engine wear. This results in longer takeoff rolls, but we see such a variety of weights and conditions on a daily basis that perhaps you are more attuned to the time of the takeoff roll on a specific flight than we are.  Smile