Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airnewzealand

RE: To SYD On QF:The World's Most Experienced Airline

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:28 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 49):
I say - TRIP REPORTING! Cue cue cue cue cue... All on cue. So unless there is a mid air drama like...

- Stewardess nervous breakdown and tears off her kebaya to reveal nothing but tissue paper underneath her bra, or...
- Mid air decompression sucking tissue paper out of the stewardess' bra, or...
- Any other issue regarding tissue paper popping out of bras.....

RyanAir!!!, you truly are funny!!! It would be very ammusing having you as one of my passengers onboard QF...hope to welcome you onboard soon  Smile, aswell as the rest of the airliners.net community!

ronerone

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 48):
Indeed, we are seeing QF gaining interest in the Middle East, having 'snubbed' this region ever since the advent of long range of aircrafts. Any idea what is the profile of passengers traveling on the Middle East-Australian routes? Are they mostly Australians or Middle Easterns?

Yes definitely. Ive been recieving a lot of intelligence regarding QF's Middle East expansion. But can't really share here. Should PM you  Smile

Regarding the pax that travel to Australia, there are about 50 to 60 thousand Australians living in the UAE. Other than that, its mostly transfer passengers traveling from Europe to Australia, via Abu Dhabi or Dubai. There are some instances where you find passengers traveling all the way from North America to Australia via AUH/DXB, when the fares are ridiculously cheaper.

Other than that, there is also a large Lebanese population in Australia, that EY and EK are making a lavish living out of. Then you also have your business travelers who travel back and forth.

So unless there is a mid air drama like...

- Stewardess nervous breakdown and tears off her kebaya to reveal nothing but tissue paper underneath her bra, or...

... there is unlikely anything interesting to report about a mundane flight on SQ.

ROFL! ... OR, some 'behind the scenes' event occurs. Something more deeper, and darker  Wink

CX's network have stayed pretty much the same for much of the last decade.

Yes indeed. They are well researched in every market on this planet, no doubt about that, but it takes SO much more for them to get into one of them. God knows how long they've had their eye on RUH, before they decided to go in.

The same applies for QF. SQ is still on the conservative side, but to a much lesser degree. At least theyve tested the likes of BRU, ORD, LAS, and the current IAH. They're even holding on to their hopes for AUH, as its going daily, AND they also plan to introduce a First Class product on the SIN-AUH-KWI sector!!!

maxisno1

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Fantastic trip report. Your comments on SYD airport were spot on. I also chuckled while reading your comments about the 'granny' flight attendants.  duck   rotfl 

Thanks for sharing!

Max

SQ772
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:14 am

hahaha... You actually sound like you would be very intrigued by the above sights.

Is that why I find solace on LCCs to give me the much needed boost in excitement and trip report material? Oh dear,... oh dear...

Ok, I can never understand what you mean by excitement on an LCC...  Wink

Quoting Ronerone (Reply 51):
Yes definitely. Ive been recieving a lot of intelligence regarding QF's Middle East expansion. But can't really share here. Should PM you

Hahaha... from the way you put it, I would hazard a guess that QF probably has some medium to long term plans in AUH??

Other than that, there is also a large Lebanese population in Australia, that EY and EK are making a lavish living out of. Then you also have your business travelers who travel back and forth.

QF might actually do well on the Australia-Middle East routes then... but I suppose EK and EY and other Gulf carriers currently operating into Australia would be able to offer better connectivity within the Middle East.

They're even holding on to their hopes for AUH, as its going daily, AND they also plan to introduce a First Class product on the SIN-AUH-KWI sector!!!

SIN-AUH-KWI with a F class product? Using the 77W or the refurbished 773?

Quoting Maxisno1 (Reply 52):
Fantastic trip report. Your comments on SYD airport were spot on. I also chuckled while reading your comments about the 'granny' flight attendants.

Glad you enjoyed my report. Yes, SYD isn't exactly an airport that Australians can be proud of. I've learnt my lesson and shall keep my mouth shut about the 'granny' FAs here... Smile

ronerone

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:10 am

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 53):
Hahaha... from the way you put it, I would hazard a guess that QF probably has some medium to long term plans in AUH??

Wow. Nothing goes past you does it  Smile You read behind the lines...and then some  Smile

Just PM'd you.

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 53):
SIN-AUH-KWI with a F class product? Using the 77W or the refurbished 773?

Are there any 772's fitted with regional F? When the service was announced, i think it mentioned a 772. However only recently i learned about their intentions to introduce an F product.

Regards,
Roni

Ryanair!!!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 am

Quoting Ronerone (Reply 54):
Are there any 772's fitted with regional F? When the service was announced, i think it mentioned a 772. However only recently i learned about their intentions to introduce an F product.

9V-SQ* series are the 777-200 with a first class cabin and de-rated engines.

nicholaschee

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:25 am

I disagree with the above Big grin

There's nothing really much to fault with the SQ FSSs whereas there're plenty of things I can fault with the AC FAs - Stay tuned for my upcoming TR.  Smile

TravellerPlus

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:03 am

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 48):
I've heard of passengers complaining that they cannot understand why they have to be disrupted from their sleep so many hours before arrival for their meals, leaving them with nothing else to do after that.

True, but in the case of the LAX-SYD flight it was a 14 to 15 hour long daylight flight, with most people awake for most of the flight. Its the only flight that I have seen this happen and where it made sense for that order of service. However on that length of service, I assume there would have only been enough tissue paper to service the washrooms. None was obviously spared for bra duty, but then the typical physique of a QF girl means it is better used as a minimising body wrap rather than padding..

Thinking of other important impressions cabin crew can make, the reason for the manual demonstration on QF is that the cabin crew unions requested it, if I remember correctly. They were worried that the use of a "video, stahnd there looking bored and point out the exits" systems would diminish their safety role in the eyes of the public. It was a subtle way of affirming that role without the draconian-sounding blurbs that are found elsewhere.

SQ772
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Quoting Ronerone (Reply 54):

Ah yes, I forgot all about the older 3 class 772s. Hopefully those remaining in the fleet would have had their cabins retrofitted with the new F,J,Y found on the newer 77Ws by the time this service is launched.

Quoting Nicholaschee (Reply 56):
I disagree with the above

I disagree too. Those extra paddings are sewn into their bras... not stuffed. Give those Singapore Girls more credit, will'ya!

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 57):
Thinking of other important impressions cabin crew can make, the reason for the manual demonstration on QF is that the cabin crew unions requested it, if I remember correctly. They were worried that the use of a "video, stahnd there looking bored and point out the exits" systems would diminish their safety role in the eyes of the public. It was a subtle way of affirming that role without the draconian-sounding blurbs that are found elsewhere.

That's very interesting. That's what I love about this forum, you gain insights into how different airlines work that you will never find elsewhere.

Scanorama

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:01 am

I flew on QF A330-300 VH-QPA SYD-MEL (domestic leg of NRT-SYD-MEL) and I also saw a mixture of A330-300/B767-300 safety cards. I thought it was a rather obvious mistake at first, could it be intentional though? It looks very strange that an airline could make such mistake.

Thanks for posting the report, very informative an the pictures are great!  Smile

SQ772
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:46 am

Quoting Scanorama (Reply 59):
I flew on QF A330-300 VH-QPA SYD-MEL (domestic leg of NRT-SYD-MEL) and I also saw a mixture of A330-300/B767-300 safety cards. I thought it was a rather obvious mistake at first, could it be intentional though? It looks very strange that an airline could make such mistake.

This is interesting... so it wasn't a once off case on my flight. Why would Qantas intentionally place the safety cards of 2 distinctly aircrafts on their aircrafts?

fca767

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 45):
What did you do for the remaining 12.5 hours at T3?? You should have gone out of the airport to check out some of the tourist attractions... or hop onto the free city tour offered to all transit passengers

Ah...I know what you're thinkin Big grin that maybe I only transited Big grin nope I spent 15 days there...took the bus a few times...rode the underground...Went to Sentosa...Walked through wet marshland (my choice) was good fun...and so I wanted to spend all that time in T3 on the last day  Smile