This is the second part of my BRU-HEL-HKG trip on AY. You can read about the BRU-HEL flight here:
Because I was very tired and sleepy, I didn't write down so much about this flight. However, I can provide you some quick facts and pictures. So maybe this is still useful to some of you!
Airline: Finnair (AY)
Aircraft: Airbus A340-300
Flight: AY 067
Seat: 26A (economy / window seat)
Date: january 30, 2009.
Departure time: 04.20 pm (actual: 04.29)
Departure gate: 31
Arrival time: 07.59 am (actual 08.05)
Arrival gate: unknown
LF: 85-90% in Y
Photo © K.H.Yim
* seating: 2 - 4 - 2
* Large IFE screens with a great amount of movies to watch! Very modern looking system. I watched The Simpsons, Family Guy and Planet of the Apes (movie)
* It's true what people say about the A340-300: It's a slow climber (didn't time it though, but you can just experience this when taking off)
* Another fact: it's also a very silent aircraft!
* Dinner: chicken with rice and curry sauce. Just an average meal. I was not hungry anymore but still had some free space
* We had (noisy) babies on board
* We left Russian airspace and entered Mongolia above the city of Ulaangom. Altitude 11125m, temperature: -67 degrees Celsius, speed 863 km/h, tailwind 107 km/h.
* Breakfast was served while flying above Chengdu, China: spinach recotta crepe (very good!), some cake, thea. This meal was (imho) rather small.
* Smooth landing in HKG at runway 7L
* Immigration officers checked passports as soon as we got off the flight. (that's new to me)
Although a tad too small, I enjoyed the meals.The IFE is excellent!. This was my first time on Finnair and I can definitely recommend it to others. I had never been to HEL before and this was only my second flight on the A340. So that makes it a bit special as well.
However, I think I still prefer Air New Zealand or British Airways over Finnair when traveling to HKG. But then there's bloody LHR again...