Transpac787
Topic Author

DL 777-200LR BusinessElite, Atlanta To Dubai

Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:36 am

Hey all,

Just got back from an amazing trip to DXB, and my first flights on the 777-200LR's. While 747-400 remains my favorite ever widebody, the 772LR is one hell of an amazing plane. Talk about incomprehensibly huge engines when you see them up close!! While I finally, actually, took a trip to spend some time in the destination, I accomplished a side-goal of setting a new personal record for distance and duration, with the DXB-ATL flight going slightly north of 7900 miles and a 15:15 blocktime. Final itinerary:

DEN-BWI: UA 752
BWI-ATL: DL M80
ATL-DXB: DL 77L
DXB-ATL: DL 77L
ATL-PIT: DL M80
PIT-DTW: NW CR9
DTW-DEN: NW 320

05 September 2009
DL8, ATL-DXB
Block Time: 14 hours, 10 minutes
777-232/LR, N702DN, ship# 7102
Seat: 11D, BusinessElite

Load Factor-
Business: 70%
Coach: 85%

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Agustin Anaya

My plans for a trip over Labor Day weekend began with the idea of just doing a quickturn trip on JFK-DKR, DKR-JFK to get an Africa route on my FlightMemory map Big grin

However, given rapid bookings on the route, my plans eventually changed over to do DXB. Having perviously done two trips to KWI, I wanted to go back to the Middle East, so DXB was the easy choice, especially since it is now served with the brand new 772LR's of DL.

Ship 7103 (N703DN) going to LAX and continuing onward to SYD

When I landed in ATL, arriving from BWI, I noticed three 772LR's sitting together in front of one of the maintenance hangar. I then realized.... all four 772LR routes depart all within a few hours of eachother. DXB, SYD, JNB, and BOM, all depart in the late evening hours. Interesting aircraft utilization, I thought.

Ship 7102 (N702DN) for my flight to DXB

BusinessElite check-in line for the customer service center on concourse E

I got to ATL with quite a few hours to kill, so I ended up justing finding an unused & quiet gate area with power plugs and watching a few DVD episodes of my new favorite show until boarding time.

Departures board, showing DL8 with nonstop service to DXB

Given the relatively light load in J-class and the short nonrev list, I only used an S3 (for those of you familiar with the DL nonrev system. Never hurts to have 26 years seniority too though, haha. God how I'll miss that when it's gone!!

Ship 7106 (N706DN) just prior to departure for JNB. Can't wait to fly there!!

About 1.5 hours prior to departure, the gate agents called my name for seat assignment. I asked for a rather specific seat assignment if it was available... a window seat in the aft J-cabin, behind doors 2LR. After regarding me for a long time, wondering why quite such a specific request, the agent gave me 11D, window in the aft cabin.

Gate podium for DL8 to DXB

As for the "why" I wanted a window in the aft cabin - simple. The ATL-DXB is the only flight that has daylight, the westbound flies in the pitch dark the entire flight. So, I needed pictures out the window on the eastbound. Secondly, I love pictures over the wing and engine, so I wanted to make sure I had a good view of them, thus aft of doors 2LR, haha.

Aft BusinessElite cabin. I was *very* impressed

View from my seat, looking forward and left toward door 2L

Looking forward from the starboard aisle, toward the fwd J-cabin

After boarding and getting settled, it became rather clear that almost everyone around me were the other nonrevs listed for the flight. It seems the aft J-cabin is more unpopular with the Biz Class pax, for some reason, as the fwd J-cabin went totally full - all seats occupied. Lucky for me though, as I prefer the aft cabin anyway.

View of the cockpit - sorry for the poor lighting and blur

I went up to the cockpit for awhile and talked to the crew, all of whom were very nice. Upon hearing I was both a nonrev and a pilot myself (working on Commercial ASEL) we all had a great time talking. They all had tons of great ideas for things to do while in DXB as well, so time well spent up in the flight deck!!

Another view of the cockpit

Shortly after going back to my seat, the gate agents closed the doors and we were off to DXB, for the next 14 hours and 10 minutes.

Door 2L closed

Pushback from ATL - sorry for the blur, ughhhhh

This was my first time on a GE-powered 777, much less on the LR with the absolutely gigantic GE90-110B's. The sound of them starting up was really unique, far more so than the PW or RR motors.. I'm not sure if it's a whine unique to the higher-powered GE90-110B's, or if it's common across all GE90 types. In any case, very cool sound on start-up!!

Slats still down, just after takeoff from ATL

Just after takeoff, I brought out the PTV system. For the most part, I really like the Delta AVOD, save for their moving map feature which I REALLY don't like compared to other airlines. I much prefer the version offered by NW, especially it's "free roam" feature.

Just taking off out of ATL, only 7000 miles plus change to go  bigthumbsup 

Interesting feature on the moving map for the DL flights to DXB and KWI (route now terminated)

After taking my requisite pictures of the moving map, and giving my dinner order, I began going through the movie selections to find something to watch over the dinner service. While not sure, I think the AVOD selection on the 772LR is much more comprehensive and larger than the AVOD databases on the other fleet types. In any case, I about died on the spot when I saw that "TOP GUN" was one of the movie selections available. I started that up right away!!

Finest movie created by all mankind. Obviously some divine influence in its making, as if the F-14 wasn't God-like enough anyway  devil 

Zone 5 afterburner. The guy sitting across from me seemed a bit perplexed as to why I was taking pictures of a movie  Silly

Coolest Navy fighter ever?? Definitely. "Tomcats by choice, Hornets by mandate"

Alright, enough of my TOP GUN cheerleading, haha. For dinner, I ordered the chicken option as I usually do. I forgot to get a picture of it, but with the starter of the warm nuts, I got my favorite - and requisite - CranApple juice.

Soup, salad, bread, and appetizer. All very good, I'm becoming a quick fan of the DL international service.

Chicken entree. The vegetables were incredibly spicy, began to make me sweat a bit. Then again, my tolerance for spicy foods is about a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10.

After dinner, still being exhausted from getting up so early that day, I fell asleep really easily. Now, as a comment regarding the DL new BusinessElite vs the UA new UnitedBusiness, the DL product beats it far and away. Both in terms of food service and in terms of the seats themselves. Flat beds, direct aisle access, and privacy dividers. DL's seats were also a lot wider, allowing me to lay flat even with my somewhat broad shoulders. In the UA seats, I had to lay on my side a bit to be comfortable. So again, DL's J-class is *definitely* better than UA's new J-class.

Terrible sun glare, somewhere over Eastern Europe

Flying over Iraq, soon to fly almost directly over Baghdad

Zoomed in map view

Looking down over the desert of Iraq, just north of Baghdad

Just after clearing Iraqi airspace, the FA's began the arrival meal service. One of the options being a vegetarian pizza, I just couldn't pass that up!!

Arrival meal, served approx 1.5 hours to go until landing

Moving map flight stats page, on descent toward DXB

Rapidly flying into the sunset, on descent into DXB

After the trays were collected from the final meal service, I just watched out the window for near the rest of the flight. I'll back up a bit though, in regard to my opinion of the new products at UA and DL. While the DL ones are considerably nicer, they are a MAJOR pain in the ass to look out the window, having to crane your neck around so you're near looking behind you, given the angle of the seats.

Only about 20-30 minutes of daylight remaining on the horizon

Final sunset over DXB, not yet even on final approach... approx 700pm local time

Customs in DXB was remarkably easy, especially since I was one of the first off the plane. As I was waiting in line for passport control, I was talking to one of the other nonrevs. I was surprised to hear that he was doing a quickturn, just going for the passport stamp then turning around and heading back to ATL right away. I didn't give him any hell for it though, I've done that way too many times myself!!

The next day in DXB, I went around to as many of the iconic attractions and tourist spots as I could, with my rather limited time in the city. Time well spent though, I really enjoyed Dubai.

One of the most expensive hotels in the world - the Burj al Arab. Note the helipad near the spire.

Given how it was Ramadan when I visited, almost no one was around anywhere. Total ghost-town. Kinda nice for taking pictures, actually.

The Atlantis Dubai. On the immediate left of the picture is the train track that runs out to the hotel

The legendary Ski Dubai. I would have gone but... $100 bucks for 3 hours was a bit steep for me  Wink

And, of course, the tallest building in the world: Burj Dubai. Being deathly afraid of heights, I was relived in a way that you can't yet go up in the tower... otherwise I would have had to go to the observation deck and take a few pictures, haha

07 September 2009
DL7, DXB-ATL
Block Time: 15 hours, 15 minutes
777-232/LR, N707DN, ship# 7107
Seat: 11D, BusinessElitie

Load Factor-
Business: 60%
Coach: 75%

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

After a great, but very quick stay in DXB, it was time to head back to the states. I was really looking forward to the flight home, given how it would set personal records for me, both longest distance and duration.

Very nice and spacious observation area adjacent to the food court

At check-in, I was surprised to immediately be given a seat assignment. I knew the load was light, but I didn't expect the agents to clear me into business class nearly 3.5 hours before departure time. That's sure a stress-reliever!!

Gate 113 for DL7 to ATL

The incredibly fancy DXB terminal building

Duty Free mall area

Duty Free mall taken from the floor above

After killing quite a bit of time in the airport on the free wifi (God love airports with free wifi) I made my way to the gate just prior to the start of the boarding process. Interestingly, the UA flight to IAD was departing from the gate right next to us, 1 hour and 40 minutes scheduled after the DL7 departure time.

Best picture I could get of our plane back to ATL, ship 7107 (N707DN)

In a bizarre moment of luck, as I made no specific seat request at check-in, I was given seat 11D again. Given how the entire flight would be in the pitch dark of night, I didn't care if I had a window or not. But, it was nice to be in 11D again, I liked the location of it as well as the view of the GE90-110B right outside.

UA 777-200/ER, N797UA, bound for IAD in approx 1 hour and 40 minutes. It's quite rare to see UA 777's with N7xxUA registrations doing flights north of 12 hours.

Looking toward the rear of the cabin, most pax still getting settled in.

Direct view forward from 11D

View from 11D looking aft toward the coach cabin

The other nonrevs very impressed with the BusinessElite seats, taking group photos Big grin

After pushback, taxi out to the runway was very fast, the pilots intentionally making a PA to inform the FA's of this, telling them to take their seats within 2 or 3 minutes. I love short taxis!! Once airborne, the purser came around taking meal orders. I ordered the chicken, as usual, disappointed to hear that they didn't have any left. Oh well, such is the life of the nonrev. So, I just got the beef option instead. Turned out to be really good as well though, I'm really not all that picky.

Soup, salad, bread, and appetizer

Beef entree. Delicious red wine, as well.

Being totally exhausted from a full day out exploring the ungodly hot & humid city, after dessert I reclined my seat and fell asleep for about 8 hours straight. That was the first solid sleep I had got in about 3 days - much needed!!

Moving map, us passing between Iceland and Greenland

Falling asleep again after my picture of the map, I probably would have slept all the way until final approach but the FA's were kind enough to wake up to see if I wanted breakfast before arrival. When given the option between an omelette and pancakes, I quickly went with the pancakes - haven't had those in forever, much less on a plane!

Breakfast service, about 1.5 hours prior to arrival back in ATL

On descent into ATL, from a very northerly track over the Atlantic

Moving map, just prior to final approach. We'd go on to surpass 7900 miles, getting very close to the full 8000. I'm not sure if we ever hit 8000 or not, but I know we got close. That's into the wind also... I was very impressed with the 772LR!!

We were extremely lucky to be the first early morning arrival into customs in ATL, beating out the flights from EZE, SCL, GRU, and others. As such, customs went VERY fast for me, as I only had carry-on baggage. I can see, though, how ATL is probably a nightmare in customs during peak arrivals hour from Europe and such.

Ship 7107 unloaded and being cleaned, after the *long* flight from DXB

Final impressions... DL has a fantastic plane in their brand new 777-200LR's. Great interiors, excellent AVOD selections, and just an overall kickass plane. Like my signature line says... 4 engines 4 long haul is obsolete. 777-200LR: 2 engines 4 longer haul  thumbsup 

Thanks in advance for all responses!!

MHTripple7

RE: DL 777-200LR BusinessElite, Atlanta To Dubai

Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:55 am

Wow! I believe this is the first TR covering the 77L Business Elite. Overall, the product looks very nice but I think EK is still superior to DL in J. Thanks for sharing and yes the 77L is awesome!

Globetraveller

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 am

Hi there Transpac787,

An excellent trip report! Some interesting pictures and great detail as well. I was recently on a similar flight with a 77L and I agree with you: that is one amazing aircraft!

Thank you for all your efforts. Great report!

Globetraveller

atrude777

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:48 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Thread starter):
DEN-BWI: UA 752

Funny how I always get bombed for WN loads request and you have yet to take one..ok one or few but still  Wink

. In any case, I about died on the spot when I saw that "TOP GUN" was one of the movie selections available. I started that up right away!!

Oh dear sweet jesus, the poor folks on the plane who probably heard you watching the movie, or maybe caught your lips moving in motion, quoting the move from start to finish...

The guy sitting across from me seemed a bit perplexed as to why I was taking pictures of a movie

You need help boy, serious, help Big grin

Alright, enough of my TOP GUN cheerleading, haha.

As deaf as I may be, I'll never stop hearing that from you!!!

Good report! Sorry I couldn't go, as last minute as you pulled that trip on me!

Looks like a good time was had, you always make it complicated to fly around the country to get to your destination to try your intl segments, good grief.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

stratosphere

Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:07 am

Never hurts to have 26 years seniority too though, haha. God how I'll miss that when it's gone!!

Yeah I bet it's cool to have more seniority than you have years on the earth..lol Is it still 23 when dependant benefits end? Anyway you sure get around..lol

xaapb

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:02 am

Amazing TR!! DL BusinessElitie product looks superb!!
thanks for sharing
Jorge Meneses

DFW13L

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 am

Think of it...ATL to DXB. 10 years ago I would have never imagined this flight! Maybe 5 years ago even.

Did you get a big Dubai passport stamp?

Was the 16 hour flight in darkness the whole time depressing or strange?

The pics are great. Glad to see you got out and explored and took good pics. Well wait a second, most of the pics are good. The Top Gun pics? I'm inclined to agree with Alex and the guy across the aisle here! (Plz don't point out that I put movie pics in some of my TRs!--pot/kettle)

Sounds like a really fun trip. Glad you got to do it and thanks for sharing it here!

Matt
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

fanoftristars

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:22 am

Great Report! I hope to try the seats on the way to SYD some day... Just not sure I want to cash in that many miles...lol
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Coalways

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:27 am

Nice trip Report but i would be REALLY be PEEVED if i purchased a full fare for DL BE product the meals service looks well tiny the meal portions are VERY small compared to CO BussinessFirst product. CO has bigger meal portions on EWR-ATL then DL has on ATL-DXB.

CO salad portions are bigger then DL main coarse just look at this trip report.... Euro Trip On CO And LH(Pics)! (by EwRkId Aug 10 2009 in Trip Reports)

DL is really loseing there touch the new seat look OK but those screens are WAY to small.

fanoftristars

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:38 am

Quoting COalways (Reply 8):
CO salad portions are bigger then DL main coarse just look at this trip report....
Euro Trip On CO And LH(Pics)! (by EwRkId Aug 10 2009 in Trip Reports)

DL is really loseing there touch the new seat look OK but those screens are WAY to small.

Just so you know, DL is using newer more trendy plates, that are much larger than the meal presented. I'm guessing the portions are about the same, but CO's plates are much smaller. Trust me. I've flown about 10 different trips in Business Elite and there is PLENTY of food, by the time you have your appetizer, salad/soup, main course, cheese and fruit plate, and ice cream sundae, you're stuffed. CO isn't any better in this regard, and I think you'd find many people would testify that DL's food is of superior quality.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

directorguy

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:18 am

Thanks for sharing....great TR-and the new BizElite seats are fantastic!

Glad you enjoyed Dubai-yes it's a ghost town during the day, but it's oddly serene and provided you carry a bottle of water with you, you won't get deheydrated.
If you think September's bad-you should have been here in Jun/Jul/Aug. It's actually somewhat breezy these days.

The legendary Ski Dubai. I would have gone but... $100 bucks for 3 hours was a bit steep for me

Ah, but also fun! But at the same time, kinda boring doing it solo...this would work best as a group thing.

Glad you enjoyed it-and btw, I see the DL 777 almost every night. Kinda cool that unknown to both of us, two a.nutters were appreciating the beauty of the 777 are the same time.
Thanks for sharing Big grin
Regards,
DG

Prinair

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:46 am

The plates might be "trendy" but the overall presentation is rather poor. I have served better meals on domestic F-Class during my flying days.
PRINAIR : Puerto Rico International Airlines

The777Man

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:16 am

Nice report! WIsh I had got to try Business Elite on my recent flight to SYD, see trip report....

I did have nice flight in Y and I agree that the DL 777-200/LR is an awesome aircraft!!

I'll probably go to DXB in a few weeks but will try to nonstop DXB-LAX on EK on the way back.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

tk747

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 am

Great report! The seat and cabin looks fantastic. Presentation of the main course looks really appealing but aside from that the meal doesn't look that appetising especially on the DXB-ATL leg of the trip.

777-200LR is fantastic to fly on but I also prefer the B747 Big grin

TK747

triple7man

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

With the way the seats are angled in Business Elite I was wondering how can u look out the windows? It seems very difficult, if not impossible. I'm not sure why they have seating plans like that because there are some (like me) who still like a window to look out of.
Thx for ur TR.
Have you kissed a 777 today?

N707PA

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Boy, this pic is gonna drive Flyertalkers nuts.....

flpuck6

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Hello Transpac787,

Nice report, as usual ... lots of pictures.

I would be interested if you could elaborate more on the service in Business Elite ?

How were the f/a's ? You were able to sleep a lot, so they clearly didn't make so much noise as some crews like to do ?

What about between meal services, are they present, do they pick up service items, water runs ?

What about food between services, is there a "bar" set up in the galley ?

Although I have never experienced it the Delta meal service seems to be appropriate for a business class product ... I like how everything is plated in the galley, especially the main course ... unlike one of Delta's main SkyTeam partners  Embarrassment

makes me realise for the main service did you take dessert ?? I always have to have dessert ! hahaha.

The only drawback I see of the seats on the 77L is that everyone is facing each other ... nevermind the sight of feet everywhere LOL.

Last question : how were the ground staff in DXB ?

Looking forward to more of your trips !
Bonjour Chef!

Transpac787
Topic Author

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Quoting Globetraveller (Reply 2):
I was recently on a similar flight with a 77L and I agree with you: that is one amazing aircraft!

Definitely!! Where'd you take yours??

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 3):
Funny how I always get bombed for WN loads request and you have yet to take one..ok one or few but still

Let me remind you, Mr Trude, that WN was delayed like 1.5 hours  Wink

Further, I tried like hell to get that earlier 735, I love the stubby guppy!!

Oh dear sweet jesus, the poor folks on the plane who probably heard you watching the movie, or maybe caught your lips moving in motion, quoting the move from start to finish...

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full  Wink

You need help boy, serious, help

WHY SO SERIOUS???  devil 

Looks like a good time was had, you always make it complicated to fly around the country to get to your destination to try your intl segments, good grief.

Oh the things we do for Frequent Flier milage, haha.

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 4):
lol Is it still 23 when dependant benefits end?

Sadly, yes. Counting down the days...

Quoting DFW13L (Reply 6):
Did you get a big Dubai passport stamp?

Yea, three of em actually. 2 on entry, 1 on exit. I prefer the stamps from KWI but still cool to have another from the Middle East!!

Was the 16 hour flight in darkness the whole time depressing or strange?

Not really. I did it once before on SFO-SYD, 14.5 hours in the pitch dark over the Pacific.

I know some people don't like flying in the dark like that but I don't much mind it. Being a disciple to Boeing I have the faith of God in the 744 and 777, I'd take them on just about anything. ETOPS-330?? Bring it on  Wink

(Plz don't point out that I put movie pics in some of my TRs!--pot/kettle)

Haha!! Yea I always feel weird taking pics of the screen since I usually get weird looks from the neighbor pax but I get over it pretty quick and do it anyway lol

They weren't *that* small, especially for how close they were to you. It's not like one has difficulty seeing it that close.

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 10):
but it's oddly serene

It really was, I definitely enjoyed feeling like I was the only person around.

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 10):
Ah, but also fun! But at the same time, kinda boring doing it solo...this would work best as a group thing.

Quite true. I'd love to go back and try it, despite only living a few hours from EGE and ASE, haha.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 12):
I'll probably go to DXB in a few weeks but will try to nonstop DXB-LAX on EK on the way back.

Wow!! Definitely TR on that!! To be honest, DXB-ATL is not really that far for a plane as impressive as the 772LR. DXB-LAX, however, is definitely a route more suited to the LR!!

Quoting Tk747 (Reply 13):
but I also prefer the B747 

Good man  Wink

None faster, none finer, the 747-400

Quoting Triple7man (Reply 14):
I was wondering how can u look out the windows? It seems very difficult, if not impossible.

It was indeed very difficult, as one one more major complaint about the new configuration. Where I sat, 11D, there are no windows in front of that seat, so I had to turn around in my seat to see (and take pictures) out the window.

Quoting N707PA (Reply 15):

Oh?? How's that??

Quoting Flpuck6 (Reply 16):
How were the f/a's ?

Most were very good. Being a long international flight, the crew was mostly quite senior but the majority of them still provided excellent service, especially the purser.

You were able to sleep a lot, so they clearly didn't make so much noise as some crews like to do ?

Here's the thing about that.

The couple of a.nut's that I've flown with will tell you that I have an uncanny ability to sleep on planes... typically falling asleep before takeoff on domestic flights, haha. So on international, I usually don't have any problem sleeping for 8 or 9 hours straight without interruption.

So even if there was a bunch of galley noise or commotion in the aisles, I sleep through it anyway. So unfortunately I can't much comment about the FA's in that regard, haha.

water runs ?

All the time. Every time I woke up, I'd have two new water bottles at my seat.

What about food between services, is there a "bar" set up in the galley ?

Yes, quite a good one. Fresh fruit, cheese, crackers, yogurt, water bottles, chips, etc.

Last question : how were the ground staff in DXB ?

Most excellent. Very professional and spoke remarkably good english.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Dude, you fly too much  Silly Speaking of...up for a SYD trip at the end of the month? LAX-SYD (DL 77L) SYD-SIN (QF A388) SIN-NRT-somewhere in the US (NW 333/744)

I can see, though, how ATL is probably a nightmare in customs during peak arrivals hour from Europe and such.

Yes it is  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Fiveholer

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Oh?? How's that??

Because in their minds, nonrevs don't have any business in upper classes. They are paranoid that their upgrade seats are being given to nonrevs.
Bring back Bethune!

SXDFC

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:07 pm

Hey Matt:

Long time no talk! This is my favorite TR from you, did your wallet have an echo after leaving DXB?  

After pushback, taxi out to the runway was very fast,

Is there a specific reason for this? Always a fan of planes taxiing fast!  

Pushback from ATL - sorry for the blur, ughhhhh

Did you hurt your neck looking out the window?

Overall great TR! Matt! Keep em comin!

EDIT: Is that a widget salt shaker I see in one of your pics? I wish I had one of those!

[Edited 2009-09-10 11:16:08]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ba319-131

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Great report and write up on Delta's ULH service.

in regard to my opinion of the new products at UA and DL. While the DL ones are considerably nicer, they are a MAJOR pain in the ass to look out the window, having to crane your neck around so you're near looking behind you, given the angle of the seats.

- The main reason I'm not keen on this kind of cabin layout.

I've gotta say DL look pretty darn good here, food inc presentation looks good too, usually one of the major problems with US carriers, not here!

I've a DL Biz El flight in Nov, only JFK-LHR but I'm now looking forward to it.

Thanks

Mark
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

N104UA

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Great TR as always and it is good to see that you stayed in a city for a day or two verses you usual 36 hours of non-stop flying.

I saw that "TOP GUN" was one of the movie selections available.

Great Movie, I love it when you can watch classic movies on the AVOD.

Flying over Iraq, soon to fly almost directly over Baghdad

Did you guys fly over Iran?? It kind looks like you are going to or did you go over Kuwait

Given how it was Ramadan when I visited, almost no one was around anywhere. Total ghost-town. Kinda nice for taking pictures, actually.

Good to keep in mind when I eventually head out there

The other nonrevs very impressed with the BusinessElite seats, taking group photos Big grin

I always find it funny that Non-Rev's are the only people who take pix on airplanes, even though they are on them all the time

I can see, though, how ATL is probably a nightmare in customs during peak arrivals hour from Europe and such.

I can not speak for ATL but for other places I know how much of a relief that can be when you are the first arrival in during the blocks

Quoting Fiveholer (Reply 19):

Oh?? How's that??

Because in their minds, nonrevs don't have any business in upper classes. They are paranoid that their upgrade seats are being given to nonrevs.

That makes no sense why they get mad non-revs get the seats AFTER all of the upgrades are done, and from my experience non-revs are always better behaved in upper classes then a lot of paying customers
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

9V-SPJ

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Nice report! The LR is a beautiful aircraft. I flew it on ATL-BOM-ATL, it was great! The economy seats are really comfy, even after 18 hrs. I and my friend were walking around TechOps back in March and happened to stumble upon a brand new 7103! It smelled like a new car, and yes the GE's are MASSIVE. I especially like the sound and feeling during startup!

9V-SPJ

atrude777

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:27 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 17):
Let me remind you, Mr Trude, that WN was delayed like 1.5 hours

But in typical WN fashion, we grabbed another aircraft, swapped it and that DEN-BWI left on time! it was YOU who didn't want the 737-300  Wink

However, you got F on UA right? So I won't complain too much...

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

HOOB747

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:55 am

Thanks for the effort in the report, and your photos were wonderful. I hope to fly the route in the future, and was curious if the Burj will have an observation deck. I assume it would, and wonder how high? The 777LR is one amazing machine.
I love dem planes....

Transpac787
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:33 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):
Speaking of...up for a SYD trip at the end of the month? LAX-SYD (DL 77L) SYD-SIN (QF A388) SIN-NRT-somewhere in the US (NW 333/744)

Yea I'd love to try something like that if I can get work off again!! How much does an SQ ZED cost??

What a ridiculous thought on their part.

Guess they don't know how the system really works.  Yeah sure

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 20):
Long time no talk!

Hey Bobby how are you?!

did your wallet have an echo after leaving DXB?

Not too bad, actually. Got a great deal on the hotel, and the cabs were really cheap!!

EDIT: Is that a widget salt shaker I see in one of your pics? I wish I had one of those!

Yes. They have them on the domestic flights too, want me to pick one up for you??

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 21):

On the new-configuration 764's??

Quoting N104UA (Reply 22):
Did you guys fly over Iran??

On the way home, yes, for a LONG way too. I was quite surprised to see that.

I always find it funny that Non-Rev's are the only people who take pix on airplanes, even though they are on them all the time

I know, right.  Big grin

Quoting 9V-SPJ (Reply 23):
I flew it on ATL-BOM-ATL, it was great!

Wow, awesome!! Talk about long flights, those.

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 24):
However, you got F on UA right? So I won't complain too much...

Yea I got F on the DEN-BWI... it was a meal flight too!!

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 25):
and was curious if the Burj will have an observation deck

I hear it will, but of course I wouldn't know from first-hand experience.

Fiveholer

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:26 pm

That makes no sense why they get mad non-revs get the seats AFTER all of the upgrades are done, and from my experience non-revs are always better behaved in upper classes then a lot of paying customers

Yep, I love the bare feet on the bulkhead. Classy.

Danny
Bring back Bethune!

Fiveholer

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 26):

Guess they don't know how the system really works.

Oh, yes. Go read the OnePass forum over there on Flyertalk. Some good ones.
Bring back Bethune!

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:27 pm

How much does an SQ ZED cost??

We don't get ZED on SQ, but we do on QF.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Transpac787
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 29):
We don't get ZED on SQ, but we do on QF.

Oh, duhh.... I can't believe I mis-read that. Old age is a terrible thing  Wink

gaystudpilot

Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:49 am

A lot of cute young pups on the outbound!  Smile

Quoting Prinair (Reply 11):
I have served better meals on domestic F-Class during my flying days.

Was that in the early 80s?

I like how everything is plated in the galley, especially the main course ... unlike one of Delta's main SkyTeam partners

I agree. I hate that dirty cart in the aisle. It's tacky and screams LAZY, especially on a two-class aircraft.

Burj

Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:49 am

Quoting Fiveholer (Reply 28):

Guess they don't know how the system really works.

Oh, yes. Go read the OnePass forum over there on Flyertalk. Some good ones.

Actually with Delta they have somewhat of a point.

If you are a Plat with Delta they give you these PMU certificates that in THEORY you can use if you buy and expensive enough Econ fare (Usually M or higher) to upgrade to BusinessElite...

The problem is that they constrain the number of seats available for upgrades AND even if more seats open up, it is next to impossible to actually use your PMU. You see they are PAPER (not electronic) and you normally have to go to an airport to deal with his.

ALSO, if an upgrade seat opens up, AND you paid for he expensive Econ seat, they will still not upgrade you if it is too soon before the flight, again because Delta's backend-IT was coded by monkeys....

SO...it is very likely that someone had to make a last minute trip so paid $$$$ for an econ seat and in theory they SHOULD be able to use their PMU to upgrade, but they can't and instead non-revs are up there and it is hard not to feel just a little upset.

PERSONALLY, I blame Delta's management and not the non-revers... If I could non-rev I would!

A whole other discussion would be if it made more sense economically to make it easier for people to upgrade (via cash or miles) so that Delta gets SOMETHING for those nifty seats....

Global97

Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:34 pm

Great TR!!!!!!!

-Global

egyptair269

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Great TR! DL's premium product looks superb, the AVOD, and especially the meals are wow! I just have a question how would you compare the herringbone seat formation to the standard seat formation??

Zone 5 afterburner. The guy sitting across from me seemed a bit perplexed as to why I was taking pictures of a movie

LOL I face the exact same issue every time I make TRs, people stare at me and theyr'e like "What the hell is he doing?" lol So I usually save myself the embarassment, and pay my brother to photograph for me Big grin

I was surprised to hear that he was doing a quickturn, just going for the passport stamp then turning around and heading back to ATL right away. I didn't give him any hell for it though, I've done that way too many times myself!!

Wow! How could he do that!! Why do you do it anyways??

Salam,
EgyptAir269

HOOB747

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:29 pm

Quoting Egyptair269 (Reply 34):
I was surprised to hear that he was doing a quickturn, just going for the passport stamp then turning around and heading back to ATL right away. I didn't give him any hell for it though, I've done that way too many times myself!!

Wow! How could he do that!! Why do you do it anyways??

Salam,
EgyptAir269

Heck, I've done it on a 600 mile trip Columbus to Philadelphia, just for the miles, to achieve Premier Executive status with United. Nothing like a day trip to get some additional status. And I would fly to Dubai and back if I could, just for a passport stamp! Cause we looooove to fly!
I love dem planes....

LAXintl

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:33 pm

Sounds like you made good use of your quick visit.

Yes it being Ramadan definitely changes the character of the city a bit.

I knew the load was light,

This I am surprised about. I know UA has been taking denied boarding lately, so I figure DL should be enjoying good loads also.

Who knows, as with KWI, maybe IAD is more adventagous gateway then ATL is for DXB.

It's quite rare to see UA 777's with N7xxUA registrations doing flights north of 12 hours.

No sometimes the XI's end up on these long flights. They have the same MTOW as the XP sans the dedicated crew rest module
However UA is in the process of adding crew modules on as I recall 7 XI tails which might have already been the case of the one you saw.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

egyptair269

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:28 am

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 35):
Heck, I've done it on a 600 mile trip Columbus to Philadelphia, just for the miles, to achieve Premier Executive status with United. Nothing like a day trip to get some additional status. And I would fly to Dubai and back if I could, just for a passport stamp! Cause we looooove to fly!

Silly But wouldnt it be just cheaper to buy miles? (only on the FFP programs that offer that ofcourse)

HOOB747

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Quoting Egyptair269 (Reply 37):
But wouldnt it be just cheaper to buy miles? (only on the FFP programs that offer that ofcourse)

Haha, no, I thought of that too. $200 ticket and I had to fly (Elite Qualifying Miles) for the status, couldn't by the miles to achieve Premier Executive. But hey, it was a fun day!
I love dem planes....

Transpac787
Topic Author

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:07 am

how would you compare the herringbone seat formation to the standard seat formation??

It's nice to have a private "suite" and direct aisle access from even the window seat, but looking out the window is a pain in the neck - literally.

and pay my brother to photograph for me

My younger sister has that carefree attitude also, doesn't care what people think or any looks she gets, haha.

Why do you do it anyways??

Any number of reasons.

* New line on FlightMem
* Can't afford expensive hotels at the destination
* Only a few days off from work/school
* Need a new safety card
* Passport stamp 'collecting'

For the record, I WAYY prefer being able to stay a few nights in the destination. It just doesn't always work out in my favor though, haha.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 36):
Sounds like you made good use of your quick visit.

Definitely!

Who knows, as with KWI, maybe IAD is more adventagous gateway then ATL is for DXB

I suspect IAD is better, for both DXB and KWI. Obviously UA won the KWI battle, haha, but as for DXB, DL seems to hold their own though from what I can tell, UA seems to have better premium demand but less Y-class demand.

No sometimes the XI's end up on these long flights. They have the same MTOW as the XP sans the dedicated crew rest module
However UA is in the process of adding crew modules on as I recall 7 XI tails which might have already been the case of the one you saw.

I thought this may be the case, as you posted something about that while back.

However, I looked up the fleet info on N797UA, and it is still 2997, 12F/49C/197Y configuration.

I've heard 27xx will be the new ship series for the birds with the bunk rooms - is UA just waiting until 27xx reconfiguration to convert a few of the 29xx birds to have bunkrooms??

BigBadBoo

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Good report, would have liked to see the lounges though!

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 21):

On the new-configuration 764's??

United has a nifty public site that lets you keep track of their progress in converting their fleet to lie-flat in business, including specific routes, so you are reasonably assured (barring last minute substitution) of getting the new product if you want it.

Does Delta have something similar? For the general public to be able to figure out which BE product is on which routes?

Also, and pardon me since this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but will the NW planes eventually convert to new BE product, if so how will that work, how can we tell which planes, etc.???

BBB

panamair

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Great TR as usual!

While not sure, I think the AVOD selection on the 772LR is much more comprehensive and larger than the AVOD databases on the other fleet types.

Yes, the 77L's Panasonic system has more than 150 movies to choose from, compared to about 30 on the other fleet types.

i would be REALLY be PEEVED if i purchased a full fare for DL BE product the meals service looks well tiny the meal portions are VERY small compared to CO BussinessFirst product. CO has bigger meal portions on EWR-ATL then DL has on ATL-DXB.

I know you love CO to death and can't let any opportunity go by without bringing CO into any discussion, but that is just nonsensical. I fly both DL BE and CO BF across the Atlantic quite often and can tell you that DL's food portions in BE most of the time is actually too big and the amount of food is actually way too much. You also fail to mention also that CO's appetizer dish is tiny (with a demitasse of soup - literally a small cup, and then two or three pieces of other stuff).

Transpac787
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Quoting BigBadBoo (Reply 40):
Good report, would have liked to see the lounges though!

Yea, I didn't even think to go up to the one in DXB!!

Does Delta have something similar? For the general public to be able to figure out which BE product is on which routes?

AFAIK, they don't have any similar site, however there are quite a few privately-run sites like widgetheads that keep track of such things.

but will the NW planes eventually convert to new BE product,

The 744's - probably not. The A330's - definitely, at some point down the line.

Quoting Panamair (Reply 41):
Yes, the 77L's Panasonic system has more than 150 movies to choose from, compared to about 30 on the other fleet types.

Do the new 764's with lie-flat have a similar system??

DLSLC

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:44 pm

UA 777-200/ER, N797UA, bound for IAD in approx 1 hour and 40 minutes. It's quite rare to see UA 777's with N7xxUA registrations doing flights north of 12 hours.

What is the reasoning for this and the specific registration?

Great report, thanks.

DLSLC

Transpac787
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Quoting DLSLC (Reply 43):
What is the reasoning for this and the specific registration?

N782UA through N799UA, plus N204UA and N206UA, are all 29xx ship numbers, meaning their cabin configuration are 12F/49C/197Y and do not have any crew rest bunkrooms.

N209UA and N216UA through N229UA are all 26xx ship numbers, meaning their cabin configuration are 10F/45C/198Y and have both cockpit and cabin crew rest bunkrooms. These ships are meant for the flights with 12:01 blocktime and higher, requiring a full double crew. Those ships without bunkrooms are meant to do flights with 12:00 blocktime and lower, requiring only a 1.5 crew and simple curtained off rest areas.

So, when a 29xx ship does a flight north of 12 hours, they have to block off 2x F-seats for cockpit crew rest and 6x C-seats for cabin crew rest, to compensate for not having dedicated bunkroom areas.

kaitakfan

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 am

I find it very interesting that you happend to sit right infront of my old room mate and his boyfriend on Delta 8, with photos to prove it as well!!! Just so happend my girlfriend and myself were going to be on that same flight, but plans changed and we left the following night. It truly is a small world out there!

chris78cpr

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Actually it's more to the point that Delta seem to ignore it when there are pax on the plane booked in Y due to whatever reason that are Diamond/Platinum members who spend upwards of $5k, $10k or $20k etc with the airline every year and that they get left there and shown generally no offer of an op up when the J cabin is near empty. It's a bit of a kick in the nuts to sit there and watch non rev's fill up a cabin when they spend bugger all money with the airline when the guys who actually keep them in a job get left in Y. It's why many high spend and high level Delta elites are moving to UA/AA/CO where they actually recognise the people who keep the company going.

I'm not even a Delta flyer, but i can totally understand why it pisses alot of people off.
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

Transpac787
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 46):
and that they get left there and shown generally no offer of an op up when the J cabin is near empty.

No offer??

Of course not. A free upgrade like that would absolutely trash your international yields. Those diamond/platinum members probably have TONS of upgrade certificates... why don't they actually use them?? The only time DL does not allow revenue upgrades is the same day of departure. These members had *plenty* of opportunities to upgrade beforehand.

get left in Y.

"Get left in Y"

That's a rather twisted way of looking at it. If they didn't want to sit in Y, perhaps they should have paid for the business class seat.  Yeah sure

As a nonrev, I take NOTHING from the revenue passengers. I only get what they didn't take. If they didn't want to pay for the upgrade or use their upgrade certificates, then and only then do I sit in J-class. If those members are still pissed about it, they have only themselves to blame for not upgrading in advance or not buying a J-class ticket.

are moving to UA/AA

redflag   redflag   redflag 

You think UA and AA give free upgrades just for the hell of it too?? I think not.

Quoting KaiTakFan (Reply 45):
Just so happend my girlfriend and myself were going to be on that same flight, but plans changed and we left the following night. It truly is a small world out there!

Wow... definitely a small world!!

xjramper

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:07 am

Just flew in those seats a few days ago to SYD. Best sleep I got on any flight in BE. My only complaint was the lack of storage space.

great report man. I will be writing up my SYD trip report in the next week or so.

xjr
Look ma' no hands!

elevate

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:31 am

A fantastic, well written, great photographed report!