TC-JJB B777-300ER Marmara
- Lined of for check in 4 hours in advance. About 40 people were present and people in the office couldn't check us in until 3:30 hrs before the departure.
- Then they annunced that they needed people with carry ons only. Apparently they could not do a check in until 3 hours before the departure. Thise caused a stampede and the elderly couple who were going to start a vacation in Turkey were literally ran over by a mob of young people who wanted to get ahead of the line.
- The boardng was regular THY boarding. 10 minutes before the boarding started people started to line up, and that caused almost entire pax to stand around in a line. To TK's credit they wanted to preboard people with assitance first, then Star Gold members, etc. but this didn't mean anything to the people in row 50.. The boarding reminded me of the stampede commercial AirTran made against Southwest.
- Pushed back abut 40 minutes late.. No announcement from the flight deck about the delay.
- Food service is extremely inefficient. It was drink service first, and a round of Turkihs hazelnuts, then another drink service and then dinner. Dinner was served at 2:30 hrs after departure time , which is a bit late. People are all in the late hours as far as their body clock is concerned, and they wanted to eat and then go to sleep after that..
- The commotion of cabin crew is not comprehensible.. There are always FAs running through aisles in fast pace. This is not only annoying but gives the impression of some urgency. If I can make an analogy , their running skills remind me of the driving skills of people in Istanbul traffic.
- There is little personal contact between the FAs and pax. There is still 'Coffee or tea?' type of questioning going on. The FAs should be thought to interact in a better way with pax. Their interaction is only limited to a word or two or a form of command 'Seatback up!' or 'Window open' .. Those of us that have traveled in TK know what I am talking about.
- There was a coach class menu that was distributed. The food choices were great and the food was tasty. Once again the way that the food was served was completely wrong. First of all , they never asked me what choice I preferred. When I asked about this the steaward told me that they ran out of pasta. Fine, but it would have been more appropriate to say that first and then serve the dish, not just throw it over my seat back tray.
Same thing again, bread was 'distributed' like serving food in a prison (Turkish prison?
- The breakfast was served about 2 hours before arrival. It was tasty potatoes with eggs, bread and some cheese. The service was fast, efficient and with no interaction.
- Landed on the new runway 05 right about on time. The heatwave that is hitting Istanbul combined with the glass house effect of the jetways (some portions of them are glass) made the heat unbearible.
- There was also a bit of Alice in Chains experience .. Recently they were on tour in Turkey and their comment that Turkish people need more deodorants created a debate in Turkish media. Well, I actually could see this as I approached the passport control at Istanbul airport. The police officer that takes care of the passport control reeked.
Overall, I am thankful that THY took me from ORD to IST in a safe manner, but the things that I complained about Turkish for last 15 years are still present today.. I don't think the airline is a 4 star airline, not even close .. Then again, us Turks love ourselves so much that I am sure my comments are falling on death ears..