sfflyer123
Topic Author

Cathay Pacific Business Class Upper Deck B747!

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:43 pm

I flew HKG to MNL in Cathay's business class on the upper deck. I always wanted to try the CX business class since I have heard so much about it. Overall it is an excellent product. The seats, although extremely private, are very narrow. I suspect this is how it is on Virgin Atlantic and Air cananda. It does not feel as "airy" as UA's business class. Also, you have absolutely no window view since you are completely turned around from the window. To see out the window, you must strain significantly. I have included a few photos, but again, the real trip report is in the video. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pruH54JDvk

IMG_7528 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

IMG_7513 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

IMG_7483 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

IMG_7475 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

The video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pruH54JDvk

airbear

RE: Cathay Pacific Business Class Upper Deck B747!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:26 am

Hi sfflyer123, nice photos, thanks. Having had the sticky steamed dim sum & rice packet in the last photo, I can taste the chilli sauce CX gives you. Yum!

Anyway, I haven't tried the AC herringbone-config business class, but the VIrgin Atlantic and Air NZ versions (identical hardware to each other as NZ have it under license from VS) are much more spacious in seat width, and also the dividing walls are lower and curve downward to the aisles, so the total effect is less claustrophobic than CX's seats. I believe CX got it wrong, that they are aware of it and due to the large financial investment made, are unable to change anything for quite some time to come. Likewise with their new long-haul Y seats. Great concept, but bad execution (altho' still good on daytime flights if you don't need to try & sleep).

But there is still CX's great service!

MSS658

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Nice trip and video report! The seats seem to be more spacious than they first look like.
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer

NZdsgnr

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 am

Quoting sfflyer123 (Thread starter):
I suspect this is how it is on Virgin Atlantic

my understanding is that the VS/NZ seat have a better design. they would be wider, the walls not as high, and also the angle is less than CX so it is easier to look out the windows