dalalways

Trip Report Tips For Virginal Reporter.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 am

I am taking a trip to SDQ on Thursday and I wanted to know if any of you have any tips on creating a trip report. I have spent many many hours looking at reports, and kinda have an idea of what I like to see. I would however, love to hear from you all to give me some pointers on what you like to see or how you like to compose your reports.

Cheers,
Jake

EL-AL

RE: Trip Report Tips For Virginal Reporter.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 am

Hey Jake,

First, your report is suppose to describe your feelings and thoughts about the flight, so naturally you'll pay more attention to things that were most important to you, good and bad.

As for myself, I usually try to have some 'mandatory' shots, and to those I add things that I thought important to the report. My 'list' is more or less this:

- External terminal view
- Check in hall
- Departure hall
- FIDS at departure airport
- Gate
- General cabin view
- legroom
- Inflight meal
- Boarding Pass, Safety card and inflight magazine
- Some flight views, if you're on a window seat
- Baggage claim hall
- Arrival hall

That's what i usually take, but again, it depends on you and on the things you see important for your trip.

Have a nice flight!

Jonathan

[Edited 2010-11-29 19:25:21]
every day is a good day to fly

hz747300

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:55 am

on my last trip report, i received heat for not explicitly stating technical details of the flight. Make sure you note the type, your seat location, arr/dep times and registration if you can grab it.
Keep on truckin'...

chrisair

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Don't use the word Virginal.....

aa61hvy

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 3):
Virginal

I was just going to add, it may hurt the first time, but it gets better every time you do it after....  
Go big or go home

jetblue777

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:47 am

Make sure you take tons of pics!

Use a good camera, like those of PlaneHunter's , Ronerone's and Mr. Sam Chui!  

Their trip reports are stunning, simply stunning. You should checkout one of their trip reports  

[Edited 2010-11-30 19:48:43]

[Edited 2010-11-30 19:49:31]
It's a cultural thing.

Loubert

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 am

To me, trip reports have a "technical" component and an "artistic" component.

The technical part includes stuff like photos and descriptions of the airplanes (incl. the reg.), airports and their contents. The technical part is what I think actually makes it a trip report and not merely vacation photos.*

The artistic component is just as important; it's what makes the trip report yours. Inject a bit of your personality in the trip report through your writing style, through your photography, and through your selection of destination/on the way to the airport photos you include. Also, add some of your insight and maybe some of your opinion.** You obviously have some, otherwise you wouldn't bother to write the trip report, right?

A few last things: take good photographs, with non-phone camera if possible and take a pic of your knees for sure.

Most importantly, have a fun and safe trip!

* Call me weird, but I actually like looking at people's vacation photos if they're taken well.
** At this point, I would be remiss if I failed to mention FlyingFinn76's Gonzo journalism style.

RamblinMan

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Quoting Loubert (Reply 6):
with non-phone camera if possible

This is the biggie IMO. As long as the photos are good, it doesn't really matter what you photograph. Take pictures of the things that are interesting, unique, or just enjoyable, and I'll enjoy the report. And go ahead and include some vacation photos- I like it when they come at the end, so that anyone who wants to skip them can easily do so. I usually look at them though, because the TRs on here are my medication to ease the travel bug.

You don't HAVE to write book-length reports like ronerone does, but if you want to, your audience doesn't mind that at all! Just remember short and sweet is ok too...its up to you.