Topic Author
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:00 pm


Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Long time reader first time trip report. So please go easy on me. I don't have any pictures because I don't know how to put pictures on here so any advice will be great. I will try to be as descriptive as possible.

Planning for this trip started last Fall as I had to pick my vacation days last year. May 29th was my wife's and mine one year anniversary so we wanted to go somewhere we have never been. Our first thoughts were to drive the outer banks but decided that we would be driving more than relaxing, so after much discussing we finally decided to go to Charlestion and Savannah to see the history and relax on the beaches. Well on our actual anniversary I was to be in my best friends wedding in Knoxville so we planned to leave the next weekend. The wedding in Knoxville kicked off our whirlwind month of trips in Jun. The wedding was fun, and we all had a great time. After another week of work we were ready for a week of relaxing so off to the report.

We decided to fly DL instead of WN. DL was cheaper through ATL, and the flight times were more to our liking. Leave early return late. I also find that ATL is relatively easy to connect through as long as you leave enough layover time.

Sun June 5th 2011 BNA-ATL
DL flt 742
Seat 22B

We started the morning with waking up at 330 AM for the 530 AM departure to ATL. Did some last minute packing said by to my mom who was watching our English Bulldog Porterhouse for the week, and by to Porter, and hit the road by 4 AM. We had a quick 15 min drive to BNA, parked in short term, which is now a maze to get to because of construction. We walked to the DL counters which were pretty busy for this early on a Sun morning. Checked in the night before so we just printed our boarding passes and went through security. They were only using the full body scanners for some reason so security took about 10 mins. This woman in front of us didn't go through because she had her son with her, so they patted them down without incident. Then it was my wife's turn. She is totally against those scanners, so she told the agent she may be pregnant and didn't want to go through it. They were nice about it and patted her down with no issue. I went through and was good to go.This early in the morning the only thing open was starbucks. I don't drink coffee and my wife has cut out caffeeine completly and has lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks. So we just went to gate B2 and sat down by the window. The MD80 was was already awake from its short rest overnight, and was ready to start the day working again. In the back ground CNN had the Pierce Morgan show on. I was halfway listening to it, he was interviewing Janet Jackson, and it was the worst interview I have ever heard. She also seemed to be quite out of it, and strange. Anyway by 450am the sounds of boarding had started. Anyone needing extra assistance, then first, and so on. We were in zone 4. So we made our way to the line when zone 3 was called. I noticed a lot of Airtran crew was in the boarding area hoping to get a seat, so they could get to work also. Zone 4 was called and we walked down the jetbride and waited a bit as usual. Finally I got that oh so familiar smell right before you walk on board of coffee and stale air. I love that smell for some reason. We found our seats in row 22, and my wife beat me to the window seat oh well it's only a 30 min flight. The sun was just starting to come up, the doors were closed, and we pushed back at 525. The great sound of the engines starting made their way through the cabin and soon we started taxying to runway 31. The noise abadement runway in the morning at BNA. We taxied via T4, Lima, as we were passing T5 the lights, and the air went off for a second and the 2nd engine was started. I thought to myself, ok were realeased to ATL. We turned the corner and I could imagine the local controller saying DL 742 Nashville tower at 1 DME turn left heading 280 R31 cleared for takeoff. Thats the standard heading in the morning. After a powerful takeoff we were airborne heading west bound after the turn. DL 742 contact departure. Departure DL 742 with you 2 for 5. DL 742 Nashville departure radar contact resume own navigation direct Rome climb and maintain 15000. There were a few bumps in the climb and after about 5000 ft it got really hazy so I couldn't see anything on the ground. At 10,000 feet we could use electronic devices. At this time we would be handed off to ZME, DL 742 contact memphis center 126.75. At this time the FA's announced that there would be service due to the short flight time. I started flipping through the inflight magazine, and read a article about Nashville that had Darius Rucker in it. I'm sorry but he will always be HOOTIE to me. I also enjoy looking at the route maps in the back. I did notice something strange in the routes. There was a route from LAX to Papatee. It showed a delta route, but then the airport showed it was served by one of the partners. I found that kind of odd. After about 15 mins at FL 230 we started our descent to ATL. It was a smooth descent, and turned downwind for runway 26R. As we joined the final approach the familiar sounds of hydrualic pumps extending the flaps and slats, also the landing gear was lowered. We had a smooth touchdown on runway 26R, exited at Bravo3 crossed runway 26L without delay and joined foxtrot to ramp 1 for the T gates.

We deplaned and found our connecting gate was B22, so we headed for the tram, and decided we would have Popeye's for breakfast. It was great as usual, and as we were sitting by the window watching all the traffic between the A, and B concourses. I got to thinking how many collisions and accidents are there with all the traffic not really obeying the driving rules. Anyway I then noticed a bag fall off a cart in the middle of the alleyway. It took 4 vehicles passing it that finally the fifth one picked it up. After a while of walking down the concourse looking at all the flights going all over the country, we made our way back to B22 and started boarding shortly after.

DL Flt 1245
Seat 20A

Started boarding about 40 mins prior to the 950 departure. Usual boarding done by automated announcements, it was funny though, the next gate over was a flight to CLE boarding the exact same time. So the automated announcements alternated each other. We boarded with zone 4 again, found our seats, shortly after doors were closed and we pushed back. We started our taxi to runway 27R via lima, delta, and held short of juliet two planes passed us and we continued via mike and took off shortly after. We turned left to futbl and as we were turning I could still see the plane that departed in front of us until we contined the left turn to the east on course to CHS.The flight was another short 30 min flt with no service, After 15 mins we started our descent. I first saw a bunch of swamps before turning final for runway 33. On short final I noticed the dreamlifter sitting at the Boeing plant. It was my first time seeing one in person. We turned right off the runway and taxied via echo alpha to the ramp.

We enjoyed a couple of days in Charleston downtown and the surronding beaches. We drove down to Savannah and spent another few days taking in the city, and enjoying Tybee Island where we stayed. Soon it was time to head back to CHS to come home after a great week.

We arrived at CHS a little early for our 630 PM departure because I had noticed earlier in the day there had be a couple of groundstops and delay programs, but our flight was still showing on time. The time in the airport went pretty quickly. When we got our boarding passes it asked if we wanted to take earlier flights but not for 50 bucks a person. The flight to ATL before ours boarded on time, and pushed off the gate. We went to go have an adult beverage at the Sam Adams bar, and when we got back our plane was just pulling into the gate. I also noticed that as our flight was just pulling in, the previous flight was just leaving. They got slapped with an hour flow time. I was hoping we wouldn't get one also.

Fri June 10th
DL flt 730
Seat 18D

We started boarding at 6PM with the usual order but they made an announcement that all standby's had been cleared and can board with zone 3, that sounded a bit odd, but oh well. We boarded with zone 4 again, and found our seats in row 18. Doors were closed on time and push back was a few minutes early. We started our taxi to runway 21 and I was just waiting for the Capt to come on and say that we have a delay into ATL, but as soon as I heard the other engine fire up I knew we wouldn't. We taxied via alpha to runway 21 and and had a very powerful takeoff with no delay. We leveled off at FL 230 for about 20 mins. Mid way through the flight the capt said we were very early and was hoping our gate A4 would be open but wasn't sure either way we would be at the gate on time. We started our descent shortly after and started a right hand turn to join the canuk9 arrival. We entered the right downwind for runway 10. As we did the slats fully deployed, but not the flaps or speedbrakes. I thought this was odd, I know it was to slow down but I had never seen that before. We landed rather rough on 10 and started our taxi to the gate via SG,SC, R, crossed runway 9R, at R3,N2,N, crossed runway 9L on on L, and into ramp 2. As we were on SC there were quite a few planes on SJ, I guess their gate wasn't opened yet. Also the line for takeoff from 9L at M2 was almost to ramp 5.

We deplaned and headed for a smoking lounge. we had 3 hours until our flight to BNA, so I figured we would go walk around the E concourse and look at all the big boys. There was a KLM 777 heading to AMS, flights going to LHR, DXB, Lagos, TLV, DUB, and CDG. My wife pouted as we walked by the gate to CDG, as they were making the final boarding call. Thats her dream vacation and we will head there sometime. There were also a lot of troops heading back to fight. Hopefully they won't be gone too long this time. But that's the thing I love about ATL. Flights going to every part of the world, and all over the country, everyone has their own personal story, and that's why I love aviation. Anyway we headed back to the B concourse got some dinner and had a beer before heading to B4 for the flight to BNA.

DL flt 1709
B73W, changed from a md80 the week before
Seat 15F

Boarding was delayed about 30 mins because of late crew coming in from CVG, they had bad storms. We started boarding and it was a full flight. As we were boarding this couple in front of us were having problems. Apparently they tried to get the earlier flight but when they told it would be 50 bucks each they said no and walked off. Well apparently the agent did it anyway, and there was no seat for them on our flight anymore. I know I would be pissed if that was me. Never saw them board so hopefully they got everything straightend out. They didn't board by zones so it was just a cattle call. We settled into our seats, doors closed quickly and then I heard the familiar whine of the air start. The APU was broken and then it became so were the packs. They started both engines at the gate, and I figured it would get cooler once we got airborne but it didn't. Oh well, this 737 had AVOD so I started watching baseball tonight as we taxied out to runway 8R via F3,E. We were #4 for takeoff. Once we did it was not very powerful, but as we started climbing we started accelerating, and climbed to FL310. It was still pretty warm on board but bearable for a 30 min flight. Right before baseball tonight got to my Texas Rangers highlights they made an announcement, about no service being on board, pausing the avod. After they finished they had moved on, so that was a lil frustrating. It was a quick flight and we were cleared for the visual approach for runway 20R, and let me tell ya, the pilot planted that thing on the ground. It was pretty hard. We cleared about B2, and taxied to gate B2 via B, and T2.
Overall I was impressed with the new Delta. I had not flown them since before the merger. The fares out of BNA our pretty competitive with southwest and american. We did have one delay, but I thought it wasn't a big deal, and everyone was pretty friendly. I will defianetly fly them again. Our next trip is a roadtrip back to ATL, for a cousins only trip to see my great Texas Rangers play the Braves. GO RANGERS!!!!. The next weekend we will be flying WN to MDW, for my wife's birthday. I will try to make a report with pics on that one. Then we'll be going out to Arlington for my annual trip to see the Rangers play their last homestand of the regular season. Hopefully will be back for playoff's and world series again. We'll fly AA for that and get raped on the fare but its convenient and non stop so what can you do.
Thanks for reading and any advice would be welcomed.
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 pm


Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Upload your pictures to photobucket and then just put the Direct Link in [ img ] [ /img ]

But, a very neat read. Good job on writing a pretty thorough TR and it's your first nonetheless! Glad the trip went well. Pics will be a nice addition  Smile

Hope to read another one soon!


[Edited 2011-06-14 05:48:26]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KLDC10 and 2 guests

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos