mikesairways
Topic Author

SJC-PDX Via SEA Airliners Expo 2011 Pics

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Background:

My aviation geek partner in crime and I decided we would check out the Airliners Expo in Portland in August. We attended the collectibles show and a ramp tour of PDX. In order to maximize our flight experience, we flew SJC to Seattle and connected to Portland via the Horizon Shuttle.

Thursday, August 11
AS 325 SJC-SEA
737-800
Depart 12:35 PM Ontime
Gate 27
Seat 20F
Load: 100%

We got to the airport in plenty of time, checked our bags and did the customary terminal walk. There wasn't much activity going on the north side of the terminal, other than seeing Volaris pull in from GDL. After grabbing a coffee we went over to the gate area to wait for our flight.

Boarding was about noon with pre-boards, etc. They were boarding front and rear of the plane depending on your row. 20 and higher boarded aft and everyone else through the jetway. I love walking the ramp.

Boarding Rear at SJC by hathmike

Take off was routine and followed the typical LOUPE departure (climb out, turn south, then back north over the airport to clear SFO and OAK traffic) and I settled in with the Mediterranean Snackbox and a diet coke and watched the landscape.

Flying over Portland

IMG_0959 by hathmike

After flying over Portland, we started our descent into SEA landing on 34L and taxied into Terminal D. We had some time kill and sat in the food court for a bit watching the field. Our departure was just a short walk away in Terminal C.

QX 2061
SEA-PDX
Dash Q400
Departure 4:00
Gate C2C
Seat 18E

IMG_0997 by hathmike

Took the walk down to tarmac and boarded rear of the plane. The plane was again full and we closed up and pushed back on time for a quick 35 minute hop down to PDX. After takeoff on 34R, the beverage service began. We had a choice of Apple Juice, beer or wine. I had the wine which was really good. I was totally impressed with a beverage service on such a short flight.

After landing in PDX, bags were out by the time we got to the carousel and went to the hotel. The collectibles show was a lot of fun, I ended up getting a few ticket jackets, models, and lots of post cards. Portland it's self was a fun city, but alas it as time to return.

Me with a Alaska Model

DSC00011 by hathmike

Sunday, August 28
QX 2026 PDX-SEA
Departs 5:00
Gate A4
Seat 18A

Got to the airport a bit early so we could explore the Concourse a bit. After checking bags and clearing security, we went over to D and E concourse and watched a couple of DL departures and then checked out buzzing C concourse. We started heading down to our gate about 4:30 and apparently they were trying to leave a few minutes early as we neared our gate they were paging us at 4:45 for boarding.

PDX Concourse

More PDX Concourse by hathmike, on Flickr

Q400 legroom shot (i'm only 5'1 so legroom is never an issue for me)

Dash Legroom Shot by hathmike, on Flickr

The plane was quickly filled up and we were sent on our way to the runway. We took off on the x-wind runway 3 and a slight bank towards SEA. Beverage service was once again offered but I kinda had to down my wine this time as once I got my wine, we started descent and landed again 34L.

AS 226 SEA-SJC
Departs 7:45
Seat 22A (ended up moving to 21B)
Gate C16

After walking the concourses in A and resting a bit, it was time to head to our departure gate. The flight was oversold and they were offering vouchers. After talking to the agent, I decided not to because the first flight out the next morning was booked full and it would be standby, I would have had to cover my hotel and I wouldn't be able to get my bag. So I boarded and got settled in my seat when a mother (22B) and her son (21B) (I'd say maybe 5-6 years old) were in separate rows. Then the kid in a sad voice says "I want to sit by the window" and I caved in and switched my seat so they could sit together. The flight attendants bought me a drink as a thank you so it was not a huge big deal. After a non-eventful flight home, picked up or bags and went home.

I must say I really enjoyed flying AS and QX The service was top-notch, well organized and executed by wonderful Customer Service Staff and Flight Attendants. I can't wait to fly them again.

Feel free to check out the rest of my pictures from the trip: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwaJaQ1
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

LGA777

RE: SJC-PDX Via SEA Airliners Expo 2011 Pics

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:39 am

Nice report and pix mikesairways. I to enjoyed the convention and took the long way to PDX from NYC

Day 1 JFK-PHX B6 after not getting on F9 LGA-DEN-PHX
Day 2 PHX-LAS US LAS-SFO-SEA VX
Day 3 SEA-PDX Amtrak Cascades.

Returned much simpler.

PDX-DEN F9 DEN-JFK B6

All flights non-rev. I was very impressed with the PDX Terminal, really really nice with decent food options.

Cheers

LGA777

mikesairways
Topic Author

RE: SJC-PDX Via SEA Airliners Expo 2011 Pics

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Yeah it was a fun show...how was the trip on Amtrak? I've never taken a trip via train, but it is on my list of things to do.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai