sfflyer123
Topic Author

London To San Francisco B777 Business Class United

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:39 am

I used my systemwide upgrade to get into business class on UA's B777 LHR-SFO nonstop. The configuration was the old configuration, which is probably why it easy for me to get the upgrade. Of course, the seats are old, but the food is definitely not! UA has made an incredible effort in improving their food product. It's very clear that it's much better and a huge step above what it was before. I was very impressed. In the video, I show one change that I thought would never happen in UA!!

My trip report video channel now has over 1 million hits, and I really enjoy doing the video trip report format. Of course, I make no money off of it because I don't allow any commercials or ads. Here is the report in detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJD8-HQgyBE

For those who want to see photos only, here are the photos of the report:

english breakfast in lounge by sfflyer123, on Flickr

appetizer by sfflyer123, on Flickr

salad by sfflyer123, on Flickr

chicken tandoori by sfflyer123, on Flickr

in filght by sfflyer123, on Flickr

Snacks by sfflyer123, on Flickr

SAn Francisco by sfflyer123, on Flickr

Again, the entire commercial-free report is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJD8-HQgyBE

Thank you for watching!

817Dreamliiner

RE: London To San Francisco B777 Business Class United

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey sfflyer

Interesting format for your report. Havent watch the video yet, but i will when i have time. But it seems like you had some intresting food choices there, looks good! Thanks for sharing.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

planiac787

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Good job on the video but I would still like to see a proper typed out trip report.. It is more detailed and it s always fun seeing the pics.. Also the seats look rather uncomfortable for an international business class , even though its the old layout.. And yes united has done well on the food section , not only in business but also in economy.. now there food is just about bearable.. not completely untouchable  .. Check it out here...

Atl To Delhi Via Newark On United Airlines (by planiac787 Jun 15 2012 in Trip Reports)

And check this out as well and look at the difference in the food quality.. Ba is doing a far better job than united... atleast in economy..

DEL-LHR-DEL Y Class. Many Pics! (by planiac787 Aug 15 2012 in Trip Reports)

Cheers mate. good tr once again  
Be the change you want to see in the world- M.K.Gandhi

roseflyer

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:52 pm

I was supposed to fly LHR-SFO yesterday, but switched to LHR-ORD since the LHR-SFO flight was delayed and I would have missed my connection.

It looks like you had better food options. The LHR-ORD flight had the same main meal choices in first and business (except first also gets soup). It wasn't bad, although I don't like the salmon appetizers that UA serves with its first class meals. Salmon is a delicate fish and small fillets tend to dry out in my opinion. A prawn or different type of meat is a better choice.

Also the second meal choice on LHR-ORD was atrocious. The cheeseburger did not taste good. The meat was dry and over cooked and the bread could have been a hockey puck. Maybe SFO gets better food since it is longer, but it is obvious they only try with the first meal and don't care about the second.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:57 am

Great video, sffflyer123!

Looks like you had another good flight with UA. We're flying them in 4 days for our honeymoon to Mexico from MSP and are excited to see how they are. I haven't flown with them in about a year, and this time we're flying F!

Food looks pretty good - but a lot of heavy things! I would have preferred the scones as well!

Best,

Matthew (767747)
I love to fly!

sfflyer123
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 1):
Hey sfflyer

Interesting format for your report. Havent watch the video yet, but i will when i have time. But it seems like you had some intresting food choices there, looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much for your comment! I hope you get to see the 6-minute video. All the details are there!

Quoting planiac787 (Reply 2):
Good job on the video but I would still like to see a proper typed out trip report.. It is more detailed and it s always fun seeing the pics.. Also the seats look rather uncomfortable for an international business class , even though its the old layout.. And yes united has done well on the food section , not only in business but also in economy.. now there food is just about bearable.. not completely untouchable .. Check it out here...

Thank you very much. Yeah, I have been debating about regular TRs or continuing the video TRs. But I have such a huge following on youtube now that I feel that I am somewhat obligtated to keep doing the video TRs. I always figure that there are people who do great TRs with regular photos & text, that we'll let people enjoy the reports by people who are really good at them. Thanks for the comment.

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 3):
I was supposed to fly LHR-SFO yesterday, but switched to LHR-ORD since the LHR-SFO flight was delayed and I would have missed my connection.

It looks like you had better food options. The LHR-ORD flight had the same main meal choices in first and business (except first also gets soup). It wasn't bad, although I don't like the salmon appetizers that UA serves with its first class meals. Salmon is a delicate fish and small fillets tend to dry out in my opinion. A prawn or different type of meat is a better choice.

Also the second meal choice on LHR-ORD was atrocious. The cheeseburger did not taste good. The meat was dry and over cooked and the bread could have been a hockey puck. Maybe SFO gets better food since it is longer, but it is obvious they only try with the first meal and don't care about the second.

That is so unfortunate. The cheeseburger is CO's classic dish. It was delicious the last time I had it--domestic flight though. Sad to hear that your food was not good. Maybe UA hasn't changed afterall!

Quoting 767747 (Reply 4):
Great video, sffflyer123!

Looks like you had another good flight with UA. We're flying them in 4 days for our honeymoon to Mexico from MSP and are excited to see how they are. I haven't flown with them in about a year, and this time we're flying F!

Food looks pretty good - but a lot of heavy things! I would have preferred the scones as well!

Best,

Matthew (767747)

thank you very much, Matthew. I hope you have a great trip!!

KLAXAirport

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 am

Great, Great, Great Job as always sfflyer!

I also recently flew United's brand new Business-First on Amsterdam to Chicago O'hare on United's newly configured N674UA! Quite a layout! Was very impressed by the seating but the food not so much. Going to Europe flew SQ A380 J Class from JFK-FRA! AMAZING!! Definitely give it a try!

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

MSS658

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Hello

Great video report once again!

Great to see some improvement on the PMUA side, definate by a better airline.

Greetings
Marc
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer

sfflyer123
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Quoting KLAXAirport (Reply 6):
Great, Great, Great Job as always sfflyer!

I also recently flew United's brand new Business-First on Amsterdam to Chicago O'hare on United's newly configured N674UA! Quite a layout! Was very impressed by the seating but the food not so much. Going to Europe flew SQ A380 J Class from JFK-FRA! AMAZING!! Definitely give it a try!

Cheers,
KLAXAirport

Thank you. I definitely want to try an A380 one day. I have yet to do this! That is a good idea to try the SQ a380. Maybe if my itinerary will work out one day. Thanks for the comment.

Quoting MSS658 (Reply 7):
Hello

Great video report once again!

Great to see some improvement on the PMUA side, definate by a better airline.

Greetings
Marc

Thanks for the kind words. I hope UA continues to improve. Happy travels to you.

roseflyer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Quoting sfflyer123 (Reply 5):

That is so unfortunate. The cheeseburger is CO's classic dish. It was delicious the last time I had it--domestic flight though. Sad to hear that your food was not good. Maybe UA hasn't changed afterall!

The angus cheeseburger is a CO classic, but it is an economy meal. Just because it is put on a plate does not make it business class food. It reminds me of 2005 when UA was introducing buy on board in economy. They put the same meal on a plate and passed it off as first class food.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

adamspotter

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi there sfflyer123,

I am a huge fan of your video trip reports, and this one was no exception.
Another great video report as usual, nice to see UA are improving with their food. Not a big fan of the small personal screen but as you state correctly those will be gone soon enough.
Am actually booked on a domestic UA 787 flight in November. IAH to SFO and back the next day again!

cheers,

Brendan

sfflyer123
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 am

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 9):

The angus cheeseburger is a CO classic, but it is an economy meal. Just because it is put on a plate does not make it business class food. It reminds me of 2005 when UA was introducing buy on board in economy. They put the same meal on a plate and passed it off as first class food.

LOL! last time I had the burger, it was in domestic first class. All I remember was that it was delicious! But you're right, it's definitely not the international business class meal that one would expect if you're paying lots of cash for a business class ticket.

Quoting adamspotter (Reply 10):
Hi there sfflyer123,

I am a huge fan of your video trip reports, and this one was no exception.
Another great video report as usual, nice to see UA are improving with their food. Not a big fan of the small personal screen but as you state correctly those will be gone soon enough.
Am actually booked on a domestic UA 787 flight in November. IAH to SFO and back the next day again!

cheers,

Brendan

Thank you for your very kind words. That's nice of you. I would love to try the B787 one day. Glad to hear that you're able to do it. I hope you can do a trip report on it. Safe travels.

Sean-SAN-

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 am

That food looks horrible compared to what Delta serves on TATL flights. A hamburger is a joke for business class, something I can get for $3.99 at burgerking is not conducive to a $4000+ airline ticket.

sfflyer123
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting Sean-SAN- (Reply 12):
That food looks horrible compared to what Delta serves on TATL flights. A hamburger is a joke for business class, something I can get for $3.99 at burgerking is not conducive to a $4000+ airline ticket.

Thanks for the comment. I agree. i would never pay $4000 fo this flight. First of all I can't afford it, and secondly, I'm too cheap to pay that kind of money even if I could. But my travel is paid for by my company, so it's all free for me. I'm not sure where the hamburger theme keeps coming from, though. I had Tandoori chicken, not hamburger.