Topic Author

ICN-YYZ: Coming Back Home (Vintage Report) *PICS*

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 am

This is a trip report of the journey back home from Malaysia, where I was studying abroad. This would be the last of my undergraduate studies, and after an extended period abroad, I couldn't wait to get back home (with my then-new girlfriend). Searching for a one-way ticket to YYZ resulted in many overpriced fares, but one stood out. My girlfriend found a business class fare on KE for about the same price as as economy ticket, and I couldn't resist.

BTW, sorry about the crappy pics! I wasn't really into photography back then.

My dad was a flight engineer on the 747-100/200/300, so as a kid, I had my share of business and first travel, but this would be my first business class trip as an adult. January 11, 2007.

That last night in Kuala Lumpur was incredibly hectic. I didn't do a lot of touristy stuff while there, so I figured I better check those boxes before leaving. We hit Royal Selangor, the KL tower and the Petronas towers on the day of travel, and since we were traveling business, I really wanted to check out the lounge at KLIA. Got to the airport early enough, but an annoying agent made us shuffle our stuff to meet weight requirements. Sheesh.

This took so much time that we had to rush to the gate to make it, and couldn't check out the lounge. Colour me angry! In that storm of hectic activity, I didn't take a lot of pictures. On the A330 that would take us to Incheon, we were seated in what seemed more like economy 1.5 than business. Below is the only picture I have (taken with my phone, a Nokia N93, the only phone ever with optical zoom if I'm not mistaken) of the subpar food.

We arrived into Incheon early in the morning, and here at least, we'd check out the lounge. Incheon was clean, bright and modern.

A few areas here and there. For "business activities" I suppose.

Attractive decor.

I wasn't super impressed with the lounge to be honest. Just some (slightly nicer) seating in a section of the airport, really.

I expected a lot more food, too. Just finger food, and that did not do much considering we didn't have any food at KLIA before leaving, and that sorry excuse for a breakfast on the KUL-ICN leg didn't do diddly squat.

At least there was a drink selection.

The "food."

This guy doesn't seem to like getting his picture taken.

At this point, with some trepidation, we decided to leave our stuff (laptops etc) in the storage area of the business class lounge, and head out into town.

It was great! I spent a couple of years in Japan as a kid when my dad flew for ANA, and hadn't seen this part of Asia in forever. Seoul really reminded me of Yokohama. Well, not the pictures you see below, but you know what I mean!

[Edited 2013-03-02 02:16:01]

[Edited 2013-03-02 02:18:57]
Topic Author

RE: ICN-YYZ: Coming Back Home (Vintage Report)

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:57 am

Part Two:

Time to get on the 11+ hour direct flight to YYZ. A night departure! I love both night and day departures. Was pretty stoked to be on the upper deck of the queen of the skies!

These seats were really old school. The 747-400 seats were far more comfortable than the A330 from KUL, but both were way behind the times. I suppose that was the reason for the low fares. No such thing as a free lunch, right?

I asked for nice seats in KUL, but they didn't book ANY seats. Thankfully, the great service at ICN made up for this, the agent gave us the seats with the near-infinite room in front, and didn't even make a fuss about it or point it out. Awesome!

I love the curvature of the fuselage on the upper deck, and the storage bins that exist in the area between seat and wall. Conveniently, I put my feet up and slept for the entire flight, waking up at around 5,000 feet decending into YYZ.

These pics are over Japan I believe.

The route.

Best way to enjoy a long flight: upper deck on the 747-400, business class, food.

With a hefty tail wind (trade wind I suppose) we were zooming along, even during climb!

It's kind of uncool that they serve bimbimbap in business as well as economy, but at the time, I enjoyed it. Quite a basic meal service compared to what we see in business nowadays.

Instructions on assembling the bimbimbap.

i found this interesting.

I conked out for like 11 hours and woke up around this point. This is the GTA.

Previous trip reports:

YYZ-CUR & Unfortunately Back!

[Edited 2013-03-02 02:13:02]