anthonycII
Topic Author

Flight Rules VFR IFR

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:14 am

Novice question. In commercial aviation who decides on a flights use of VFR or IFR? I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, once decided upon it can not be changed mid-flight regardless of weather conditions.

FX1816

Re: Flight Rules VFR IFR

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 am

Airlines do NOT fly VFR only IFR. However for GA or Air Taxi aircraft that start off IFR can cancel and go VFR. Same in reverse a VFR aircraft can pick up and IFR clearance while airborne.

FX1816

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:49 am

I meant a VFR aircraft can pick up AN IFR clearance while airborne.

VSMUT

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 am

anthonycII wrote:
Novice question. In commercial aviation who decides on a flights use of VFR or IFR? I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, once decided upon it can not be changed mid-flight regardless of weather conditions.

Pretty much all scheduled commercial flights are done IFR. Only a select few flights on light aircraft are flown VFR (such as some sea-plane services and the likes), and even they probably often file an IFR flight plan.

The limitations of VFR flying would make it problematic to carry out scheduled flights.

Who makes the decision? That would depend on the company, route, aircraft, country/local regulations, season and weather. It could come down to the standard company procedures, or just the pilots/captains decision. In most decently sized airlines the flight plan is filed by an office, and the pilots just do whatever the route planners have told him to do. Some airports might not accept VFR traffic either.

:)

Woodreau

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:25 pm

You can change between IFR and VFR, it's a matter of notifying ATC what you want to do.

All Part 121 flights in the US (mostly airline flying) are conducted under IFR.

Although under very specific conditions airline OPSPECs allow a 121 flight take off under VFR, then within 50 miles of departure pick up the IFR clearance in the air. and vice versa, within 35 miles of the destination cancel the IFR clearance and proceed under VFR to the destination.

At my first airline, we routinely took off and landed under VFR, switching to IFR in the air when we got our clearance.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Aircellist

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:28 pm

I kind of remember that at some point in the '90s, during yet another sudden ATC strike in France, a Wardair 747 captain decided to take-off from Paris (CDG, I believe) and fly VFR up to the English ATC zone. He decided there was not much risk, since nobody else was flying.
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

jetblueguy22

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:15 pm

One thing to keep in mind is once you cross FL180, you need to be under IFR, so you wouldn't be able to go VFR even if you wanted to.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

zeke

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:00 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is once you cross FL180, you need to be under IFR, so you wouldn't be able to go VFR even if you wanted to.

Incorrect
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

BobPatterson

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:23 am

zeke wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

Incorrect

Would you please tell us more than one word? Why do you think it is incorrect? Single words are rarely informative.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

flyDTW1992

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:00 am

zeke wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

Incorrect

It's correct if it's over the US.
Now you're flying smart

qcpilotxf

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:57 pm

flyDTW1992 wrote:
zeke wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

Incorrect

It's correct if it's over the US.

Not Really, Class A Airspace ends at FL600 in the US, you can go VFR Over that. Also IFR only airspace starts in different places in different countries

HAWKXP

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:17 am

Its also possible that a 121 flight can depart VFR from "non-radar" airports and pick up a clearance in the air.