panam330
Topic Author

AA To Remove Narrowbody IFE

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:38 pm

An internal memo was released today stating that all new aircraft deliveries will come without seatback IFE. Additionally, all existing narrowbody aircraft (except the 321T) will see their seatback IFE removed over time. Following UA's "lead", AA will provide streaming IFE and faster wifi. Seatback TVs will remain on all current widebody aircraft and new 787/350 deliveries.

I don't see this as a major downgrade, to be honest. Most people have their own phones/tablets/laptops, and will have ample choices for movies/TV/music with the streaming system. I view it as a smart decision by AA's management, and further proof that they demonstrate excellent restraint with their financial resources, even when profit margins are nice and fat.

LAXintl

Re: AA To Remove Narrowbody IFE

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Bring your own device growing in popularity.

Here some details:

New technology for our newest planes

We know in-flight entertainment is important to our customers, which is why we’ve committed to offering free, streaming high-quality movies and music, and to investing in fast satellite-based Internet access and power at every seat across our domestic fleet.

Entertainment and connection options like these are the future of in-flight entertainment, which is why we’ve decided that our new Boeing 737 MAX will arrive later this year without seatback video screens.

More than 90 percent of our passengers already bring a device or screen with them when they fly. Those phones and tablets are continually upgraded, they’re easy to use, and most importantly they are the technology that our customers have chosen. So it makes sense for American to focus on giving customers the best entertainment and fast connection options rather than installing seatback monitors that will be obsolete within a few years.

Every customer with a phone, tablet or laptop will be able to watch free movies and TV shows from our extensive on-board library, as well as free live television channels, all without purchasing an in-flight Internet connection.

For those who want to pay to get online, the high-speed, satellite-based Internet access we are installing on the MAX and other aircraft is so fast that everyone on the plane can stream Netflix, Amazon, and other video-on-demand, as well as text and surf the web over a connection that’s just as fast as what they have in their homes.

Both our free streaming library as well as satellite Internet connections will work from gate-to-gate.

While streaming entertainment is an increasingly good option for domestic flights, seat-back screens will continue to be important to customers flying internationally. Our widebodies will continue to have seatback screens, and some of our narrowbodies used for specific flights will also keep their seatback screens. We’ll keep seatback monitors on Boeing 777s, 787s, Airbus A330s, and our A350s, which begin arriving next year. We’re also committed to seat-back screens on our three-class A321s.

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Jo8338

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:49 pm

Are the 321'sreally competitive on MIA- LAX no that they are removing IFE?

enilria

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Is long as they charge for WIFI and not for IFE it's crappier.

alasizon

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:02 am

For most NB missions (up to 3-3.5 hrs), I don't see this as a drawback. Personally, I carry my laptop with me any time I travel and I rarely use the IFE. Even on the 738s with the overhead monitors, I probably look at the IFE for maybe 4-5% of my flight. This certainly opens up more room under the seats which is a win for those with longer legs. Having the WiFi on from gate to gate is helpful and I think this will certainly standardize the offering regardless of which fleet type you are on.

enilria wrote:
Is long as they charge for WIFI and not for IFE it's crappier.

The BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) is already free and in my experience is a better selection.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

commavia

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:03 am

As expected, and as some of us have been predicting.

I'm quite sure that many here on A.net and elsewhere won't be happy with this announcement. And I, myself, certainly will miss the seatback screens on the LAA A319/A321 and newer 737s. But that said, I can completely understand the economic rationale for this decision. I suspect that, net-net, this is going to save millions each year in fuel and maintenance. And in that context, it isn't hard to see why seatback IFE is becoming increasingly harder to justify when such a larger proportion of the passengers - over 90%, by AA's estimation - carry devices capable of IFE onboard with them, anyway. High-speed wifi with free streaming options seems like a very logical choice. I can see the obvious comparison to Delta and United - both seemingly moving in the opposite direction, at least for now - but I must admit that it's hard to see a material share shift away from AA as a result of this change.

I hope, however, that this change spurs the impetus to get moving on standardizing and upgrading the domestic non-premium experience. The inconsistency - in terms of wifi, IFE and MCE - between the LAA and LUS fleets needs to be addressed ASAP.
Last edited by commavia on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeljack

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:03 am

Just to be clear, people still like in-flight entertainment. Two people that I know that are in sales based in Omaha both were loyal UA flyers for many many years. One was 1K, one was Platinum. In spring of 2016, both did a status match over to Delta and both fly Delta almost exclusively now. I asked them why they changed, they said they were sick of cancelled and late flights. One then tried out Delta and the flights were not cancelled and he was going on how he loved the seats had TV's in them! He then convinced the second friend to try Delta and that is why he made the switch too. They both loved the TV's, and they said the wifi was way faster than UA's and worked all the time vs UA they said is 50-50 if it works.

As a follow up they didn't know about, the company they worked for changed policies and they are now both allowed to purchase first class domestic tickets for all of their flights starting this past fall. Saying they take on average of 25 domestic roundtrips and 1-2 overseas trips per year, all paid first class, just think of all the revenue UA lost just from 2 people because they chose not to have TV's on their domestic fleet. I found it interesting. As a full disclaimer, I'm a UA Gold member and have nothing against UA.

seabosdca

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:06 am

Very happy with this. 90% of the time the seatback screens are just an annoyance out of the corner of my eye and, where possible, I turn them off.

Just keep trying to make the Wi-Fi faster. Systems are taking baby steps but it's still slow, especially when a lot of people are streaming entertainment.

commavia

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:06 am

joeljack wrote:
Just to be clear, people still like in-flight entertainment. Two people that I know that are in sales based in Omaha both were loyal UA flyers for many many years. One was 1K, one was Platinum. In spring of 2016, both did a status match over to Delta and both fly Delta almost exclusively now. I asked them why they changed, they said they were sick of cancelled and late flights. One then tried out Delta and the flights were not cancelled and he was going on how he loved the seats had TV's in them! He then convinced the second friend to try Delta and that is why he made the switch too. They both loved the TV's, and they said the wifi was way faster than UA's and worked all the time vs UA they said is 50-50 if it works.

As a follow up they didn't know about, the company they worked for changed policies and they are now both allowed to purchase first class domestic tickets for all of their flights starting this past fall. Saying they take on average of 25 domestic roundtrips and 1-2 overseas trips per year, all paid first class, just think of all the revenue UA lost just from 2 people because they chose not to have TV's on their domestic fleet. I found it interesting. As a full disclaimer, I'm a UA Gold member and have nothing against UA.

No question that people like that - for whom IFE is a deciding factor in their purchase decisions - exist. But I doubt the number of such people is sufficient to justify keeping seatback PTVs when technology has enabled far less expensive and lighter (i.e., lower-fuel-burn) options.

panam330
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:15 am

commavia wrote:
I can see the obvious comparison to Delta and United - both seemingly moving in the opposite direction, at least for now

Re: UA, I'm not sure what you're talking about, unless I'm misunderstanding you here. All new deliveries, and all reconfigurations for quite a few years now have been devoid of seatback IFE. The only domestic-only aircraft that have them are the DirecTV-equipped 737s and the 757-300s, all of which will have the TVs removed eventually.

msycajun

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 am

If they can pull off the faster wi-fi and power at all seats, then it's a no-brainer. The IFE boxes under the seats are a pain and I'd rather have the power so that I can watch whatever I want or get work done.

wn676

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:31 am

The last few flights I've been on, streaming a movie over the iPad really hasn't been that bad. Now if they could just install power ports on the LUS 320/321 fleet...
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

jb1087xna

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:34 am

LAXintl wrote:
More than 90 percent of our passengers already bring a device or screen with them when they fly.

I don't know that saying that more than 90% of passengers bring a cell phone on board is that great of a statistic to quote. If more than 90% of passengers use their "device" for entertainment purposes, that's one thing, but just that 90% have them....meh...spin cycle.
| A319/20/21/33 | B717,722,733/5/7/8/9,744,752/3,762/3 | CR1/2/7/9 | D95 | E145/75 | M82/8/90 |
Next up: XNA-ATL-PWM-ATL-XNA

ADent

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:35 am

Good riddance. The under seat boxes are a pain. Some airlines charge to even see the map. I haven't seen any seatback TVs on RJs (I know there are some, but not on the airlines I fly), but Delta has WiFi based IFE at least on some of the E170s.

ACCS300

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 am

I still love IFE especially some of the amazing newer systems. IFE is convenient, you don't need to charge a device, it doesn't take up your tray table and leaves it free for other things like food and drink. As carriers begin to remove IFE they need to come up with a 'device holder' or table, separate from the tray table so viewing is easy. Just flew on Rouge YYZ-MIA, had my mac all charged and ready to watch their streaming content but with the 29" pitch I couldn't get my mac open enough to view.

DiscoverCSG

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:48 am

On my last two narrowbody AA flights (both 738's, one with seatback IFE screens and one without), the wifi and IFE (if applicable) worked just fine, but the power plugs (in F) didn't. That's been the case previously, as well.

They need to fix this.

usairways85

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:54 am

In seat Power is the big variable that I don't see mentioned. After Apple's power follies in recent iOS updates my devices drain very quick with only a slightly higher than normal rate of browser, video, game use.

FirstBizFlyer

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 am

I'm a pretty loyal AA flyer, and I've appreciated the addition of the IFE on new deliveries. One of my big complaints about flying on UA is how the lack of IFE makes the product feel cheap. I only travel with an iPhone, which I don't really enjoy watching a movie on. Having the screens is a great perk. But It's not a make or break option for me. Just disappointing.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:02 am

jb1087xna wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
More than 90 percent of our passengers already bring a device or screen with them when they fly.

I don't know that saying that more than 90% of passengers bring a cell phone on board is that great of a statistic to quote. If more than 90% of passengers use their "device" for entertainment purposes, that's one thing, but just that 90% have them....meh...spin cycle.

True, but I think the point is that over 90% of their customers can partake of their online streaming options by having the phone with them.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

ahj2000

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:20 am

So look at the refurb L-USA319s for what is to come.
Not bad, I just hope they fix the 321s with MCE fast instead of just reupholstering them.
-Andrés Juánez

commavia

Re:

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:27 am

ahj2000 wrote:
So look at the refurb L-USA319s for what is to come.

Yeah, except with far faster and more reliable wifi than the antiquated Gogo on most of AA's fleet today. The newer, better technology can't come fast enough. As said - if there is USB and powerports, and free streaming - I think that's actually a perfectly acceptable solution.

qqflyboy

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:34 am

panam330 wrote:
Additionally, all existing narrowbody aircraft (except the 321T) will see their seatback IFE removed over time.

I don't know where you read that, but this is what the memo says:

"While the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft arriving later this year will come without seatback entertainment monitors, other narrowbodies arriving this year, including the current-generation Boeing 737s and Airbus A321s, will all still come with seatback monitors, giving them the same in-flight entertainment and connectivity options as the other current-generation 737 and A321 deliveries. For these arrivals, as well as existing airplanes in our fleet with seatback monitors, we’re still working through the details on how we move towards these streaming, internet and power upgrades but we’ll share more information as we have it."

There's nothing in there about removing IFE on current narrow body aircraft that are so equipped, or on future deliveries of current generation aircraft.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

commavia

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:36 am

qqflyboy wrote:
I don't know where you read that, but this is what the memo says:

"While the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft arriving later this year will come without seatback entertainment monitors, other narrowbodies arriving this year, including the current-generation Boeing 737s and Airbus A321s, will all still come with seatback monitors, giving them the same in-flight entertainment and connectivity options as the other current-generation 737 and A321 deliveries. For these arrivals, as well as existing airplanes in our fleet with seatback monitors, we’re still working through the details on how we move towards these streaming, internet and power upgrades but we’ll share more information as we have it."

There's nothing in there about removing IFE on current narrow body aircraft that are so equipped, or on future deliveries of current generation aircraft.

Good call - doesn't explicitly say that they'll rip it out of jets that have it. I'll say, though - I actually wish they would rip it out of all the non-A321T narrowbodies at this point. The inconsistency is annoying and ridiculous. And if the tradeoff is refurbish planes that have USB and powerports, and high-speed wifi with free streaming, and I get a bit of extra legroom from now PTV box under the seat, I'd actually prefer that.

HPRamper

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:37 am

I have mixed opinions on this. I just flew on a 737-800 that seemed brand-spanking-new, with IFE on the back of every seat. I'm not one to pay for anything extra, but I'm also the type of person who can find complete satisfaction watching the free flight map and streaming inflight info. I understand I'm in the vast minority on that...
I did not expect it, however, and if I wanted entertainment, I would have just put my phone on airplane and played a game, or brought a book. In my opinion, power ports at every seat are a much better investment.

RamblinMan

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 am

Maybe I'm the oddball but last trip I took I had a laptop, phone, and small tablet with me but I still used the seatback IFE on the AA 319 I had on the return. It was just easier than digging any of my devices out of my bag. Took a DL MD88 on the outbound and while I'm pretty partial to DL I got off the AA flight thinking that it had really been nice and maybe AA is worth taking more often.

That being said, as long as they keep offering free streaming content I'll use my own device without whining and if it gets rid of those boxes under the seats then I can definitely see an upside.

mattnrsa

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 am

qqflyboy wrote:

The last paragraph states that some narrowbodies used on certain flights will keep their monitors. I took that to mean that they will be removed from at least some of the planes that were delivered with them (but, based on how it's written, I could be wrong). I'm guessing the A321s flying JFK-SFO/LAX would be the ones to keep the monitors, if some will be removed.

davescj

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:49 am

ADent wrote:
Good riddance. The under seat boxes are a pain. Some airlines charge to even see the map. I haven't seen any seatback TVs on RJs (I know there are some, but not on the airlines I fly), but Delta has WiFi based IFE at least on some of the E170s.

Delta is expanding IFE. They have Delta Studio when wi-fi is available, which gives options both for pay and for free. DL also seems to be expanding IFE in general. The remodeled A319s are a good example. Good sized screen, good choices. I don't find the box to be uncomfortable.

I"m sorry to see AA going this route. I think people will find it is not as good as promised (esp if you want to work or not have your laptop down).
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

westgate

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:52 am

usairways85 wrote:
In seat Power is the big variable that I don't see mentioned. After Apple's power follies in recent iOS updates my devices drain very quick with only a slightly higher than normal rate of browser, video, game use.

This is definitely what it will come down to for most people, I assume it would be relatively easy to have at least a power outlet as well as a USB port in the seat back, if they don't, then that's a ridiculous design flaw. Even the most expensive phones can sometimes have terrible battery life, especially if the battery is getting a bit old. The last thing you want is to have your battery run down to zilch watching streaming content inflight, only to have no juice left when you reach your destination. But if you have your phone plugged in as you're watching the content and arrive fully charged, then that's pretty much the ideal situation !!!

I don't understand why the weight for IFE would still be considered an issue, can't they just use a light weight tablet in the seatback and stream the content to it, circumventing the need for heavy wiring and IFE boxes ? Or would that just be too difficult and expensive ?

jasoncrh

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:06 am

it doesn't matter if it is or not. who else offers the frequency and seats that AA does on MIA-LAX

Jo8338 wrote:
Are the 321'sreally competitive on MIA- LAX no that they are removing IFE?

DL747400

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:20 am

AA takes a step backwards, while DL continues moving steps forward. This will be yet another opportunity for DL to further differentiate themselves in a positive way in the eyes of frequent flyers.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

commavia

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:24 am

DL747400 wrote:
AA takes a step backwards, while DL continues moving steps forward. This will be yet another opportunity for DL to further differentiate themselves in a positive way in the eyes of frequent flyers.

I'll be very interested to see if Delta is able to translate the "further differentiat[ion]" of PTVs on a higher proportion of its narrowbody fleet into a further, meaningful and sustainable, yield premium.

wenders825

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:56 am

mods can we change the misleading thread title, AA isn't removing AVOD on any of its planes. just not adding it to a fleet of new ones

as said by many, as long as power and wifi are there I don't think it's a big deal. a ton of people fly WN and they have neither, and everyone brings their own thing anyway.

DL is not going to win people over with TVs. price is the only thing 90% of casual fliers care about.

MSPNWA

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:00 am

Not a huge deal to me. I can't book a 737 and expect it. The standard A321s are mixed depending on fleet origin. I'd rather have fast streaming that I know will be there.

FlyUSAir

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:26 am

Yep, it's the future. As long as they have power ports and some form of free internet I'm happy. If your're going to have BYOD though, power ports are a REQUIREMENT. Apparently some airlines don't get this...
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

Miami

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:27 am

Stupid decision. I hate it.

I use them every time I travel domestically and those screens are useful. Sure, I use my phone; but I still use their IFE.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

global1

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:03 am

Passengers, in general, love IFE. At Delta, the IFE is on when a passenger boards. Even if they are carrying smartphones or tablets, the first thing 75% of them do is plug in their headsets and, bingo, they're transfixed to the IFE screen in front of them. Most IFE screens also feature a USB port which serves as a power source to charge your devices. Delta's A319 and A320 fleets are being fitted with IFE and even the smaller C-series will arrive with IFE from the factory. All aircraft have WiFi with free access to streaming entertainment via DeltaStudio. A much faster GoGo variant is also being rapidly installed which will support streaming of Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.as well as deliver WiFi access gate to gate. No more waiting until you're above 10,000ft.

This decision will deliver an inconsistent, and therefore degraded, on board product and customer experience.

To present this as an enhancement or even a neutral is dealing in 'alternative facts".

ldvaviation

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:56 am

commavia wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

I'll be very interested to see if Delta is able to translate the "further differentiat[ion]" of PTVs on a higher proportion of its narrowbody fleet into a further, meaningful and sustainable, yield premium.

Delta has the smallest pitch between seats in Domestic First.

It has made no meaningful difference to its competitors.

jumbojet

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:07 am

I call BS on 90% of people bring a device on board capable of streaming video/audio content. I fly a lot and often walk the length of the plane to stretch my legs and more often than not, folks have the in-seat IFE on. Although I might bring a laptop, I hate taking it out and having it take up the entire tray table which, when meal/beverage/snack service comes around, makes for a very awkward situation in trying to find room for my food and beverage and my laptop. Plus, with in-seat IFE, I can watch my program until basically the plane touches down and the IFE is switched off. Some things just aren't worth saving the extra money and this is one of them. AA is making billions of dollars. Parker is notorious for trying to pinch his pennies. Long live the in-seat IFE

carljanderson

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:19 am

I tend to bring 4 screens with me on every DL flight. Where I am on a flight with IFE screens, I grab my headphones, plug in and listen to some music that I don't have (while glancing at the map and staring out the window), or watch a movie that I maybe haven't seen in a while. Grabbing my tablet and then getting on the WiFi and having to plug in under the seat is a PITA. 

Also, airplane wifi isn't the most secure.

Does anyone know what models of WAP's are currently being used, and aren't there 3 per 737?

I hope DL doesn't ditch the IFE.
Last edited by carljanderson on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BestWestern

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:20 am

Hong Kong has one of the worlds most advanced cellular networks, with everyone permanently glued to their phone screens. Yet everyone watches IFE on flights. KA's 320 have inflight streaming and you see nobody using it in comparison to the 321 that has IFE.

On the new iPhones you can't listen and charge at the same time.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

grbauc

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:26 am

commavia wrote:
joeljack wrote:

No question that people like that - for whom IFE is a deciding factor in their purchase decisions - exist. But I doubt the number of such people is sufficient to justify keeping seatback PTVs when technology has enabled far less expensive and lighter (i.e., lower-fuel-burn) options.

Its a another straw in a large pile of things that cause people to shift away. They really need to make sure we have power ports. Were in a media Addicted Society. Not have screen in front of all of there customers is a minus and I believe is short sighted. For heck's sake think outside the box and maybe partner with Apple or somebody society is in a mass addiction people are always looking at there phones. Forward thinking is so lost on big corporations. Phones go dead Ipads forgotten the streaming is dicey. I really do get the decision I just think its another safe bet.

777PHX

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 am

DL747400 wrote:

I knew it wouldn't be long before the DL cheerleaders descended on this thread.

Plus, I'm pretty sure AA stockholders would vehemently disagree with you.

grbauc

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:35 am

wenders825 wrote:
mods can we change the misleading thread title, AA isn't removing AVOD on any of its planes. just not adding it to a fleet of new ones

as said by many, as long as power and wifi are there I don't think it's a big deal. a ton of people fly WN and they have neither, and everyone brings their own thing anyway.

DL is not going to win people over with TVs. price is the only thing 90% of casual fliers care about.

Keep saying that but DL is on to something and there numbers prove it. Its a safe cheap bet by AA not the end of the world but longer term I believe it could of paid off on them building there reputation. There a great distraction and tool that there losing.

seahawk

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:47 am

Good solution. I hope it will come to Y in the widebody fleet too. Offer a very basic selection (say 1 music channel and 2 movies and make the other cost money) This saves money and can create extra revenue too.

QANTAS747-438

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:56 am

Will AA have USBs at every seat instead?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

c933103

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:21 am

Would the slower wifi on flight without IFE be attributed to the streaming of IFE occupied considerable portion of the in-flight wifi system and thus creating a bottleneck?

crazyplane1234

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:29 am

seahawk wrote:
I hope it will come to Y in the widebody fleet too.

It will be UA's 744 all over again. :(

panam330
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:39 am

wenders825 wrote:

What part of "Our widebodies will continue to have seatback screens, and some of our narrowbodies used for specific flights will also keep their seatback screens. We’ll keep seatback monitors on Boeing 777s, 787s, Airbus A330s, and our A350s, which begin arriving next year. We’re also committed to seat-back screens on our three-class A321s" is misleading to you? In the very same memo, the company called seatback screens, and I'm paraphrasing here, "quickly obsolete". I'd say that's a very nice way to say "it's all going to be ripped out as aircraft go in for mx checks", but hey - I'm just reading between the lines here.

Chemist

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 am

777PHX wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

I knew it wouldn't be long before the DL cheerleaders descended on this thread.

Plus, I'm pretty sure AA stockholders would vehemently disagree with you.

The thing about stockholders and company governance is that views are often short-term.
IMHO the 3 "majors" in the US have a clear order of quality, with Delta on top, AA in the middle, and UA on the bottom. However between the cheapo economy, new boarding rules, and no IFE, AA is doing the standard descent into near-ULCC territory while riding on their legacy name.

In an era of a good economy and cheap fuel, this will probably make AA even more money, but when things go south, AA (again IMHO) will be more vulnerable - a legacy carrier, with a very mediocre product and a focus on cost-cutting and cheapening the offerings. I see a time when AA vs UA will be a competition for the bottom feeders of the legacy carriers.

Meanwhile you have upstarts like Southwest continuing to offer free bags and no change fees, and a larger Alaska/Virgin with a much better product and growing. AA is becoming a shell of the excellent airline they were when I used to fly them a lot in the 1990's.

caoimhin

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 am

I flew DUB-PHL on an AA 757 a few months back. Bloody nightmare.

I usually fly this trip on BA via LHR, typically on a 789 in the past year or so. I look forward to IFE. It's a nice opportunity to stare at a slightly larger screen than my phone, and perhaps watch something I would not otherwise have watched.

BestWestern wrote:

Off topic, but is that true even if you use a dongle/splitter? What about Bluetooth headphones?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos