airbus3801

Airlines That Still Opperate The DC-3

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:57 am

Upon seeing a few airlines from Afrique who still operate the DC-3, I was wondering if anyone knows of others?

zrs70

RE: Airlines That Still Opperate The DC-3

Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:03 am

Can't think of any that do.

I could shoot myself for choosing to take a PBA prob-jet over the DC-3 back in the mid 80's! I don't think I'll ever have a chance to ride a scheduled one.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

CanadianNorth

Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:08 am

Buffalo Airways operates several DC-3s (most are freighters) out of Yellowknife. For anyone interested they also operate 2 C-46 freighters aswell as a small fleet of DC-4 freighters.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, just like a 747 but better!

uswyjer

Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:27 am

A small cargo carrier called Sabre Cargo flies DC3s here out of CLT, on clear nights when you hear the loud piston engines flying slowly, look up and you see the outline of the classic plane flying overhead, it's a thing of beauty.

ZKSUJ

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:10 am

Royal Tongal Airlines (WR) still operate the DC 3 on regional domestic routes.

757MDE

Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:30 am

Some "shady" airlines from Colombia, specially in the Llanos region (East of the country, near Venezuela) operate DC-3s, if you make a little search for pics taken at Villavicencio SKVV you'll see what I talk about.

There's also a freighter called "Aerolíneas de la Paz" which operates DC-3s, I don't know if they're still around but they did not too long ago.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fernando Bejarano
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrés Dallimonti Restrepo

If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

Chiguire

Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:38 pm

As far as I remember the DC3 from Aeroejecutivos is still in service on touristic routes within Venezuela.

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00184949

visityyj

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:42 am

Saber Air Cargo (CLT) have been out of business for some time. The entire operation was taken over by First Flight Out. Then they too ceased operations and all the assets were up for auction back in August http://www.starmanauctions.com/Brochures/StarmanSB3-69399.pdf

I didn't hear the result of the auction, but at least one of the DC-3s (N58NA) is for sale still. If someone is running DC-3s out of CLT these days, I don't know who it is.

BCAL

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:54 am

There was an airline that offered flights in a DC3 from Southend Airport in England - Atlantic Air or similar - but I cannot find any trace on the web.

I also remember reading in an airline magazine recently that there was a Swiss airline (Classic Air?) that also offered charter flights in a DC3.

MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

litz

Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:54 am

And, even if it's not used for any kind of scheduled service, Delta's DC-3 is still listed on their fleet roster ...

It's perfectly flyable and regularly attends airshows and other "musuem" showings.

They've had several cases where they had both it and ship 102 on display for the 75th anniversary.

Somone posted an article here several months ago about a flight they were lucky enough to take in the plane, showing all the interior furnishings, etc. They keep the seats covered in plastic to protect them, and all passengers have to wear white gloves.

- litz

dantiger

Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:27 am

Daily flights from LGB on a DC-3 are available. Seems fitting as it was built here. You simply call and make a reservation. It is nice for birthdays and other special occasions. A friend and I flew the grand old beauty two years ago. The wonderfully friendly FA serves champaign and delicious pate on fancy crackers and everyone had a great time. We flew up the California coast to Santa Barbara, circled and then back to Long Beach. The flight path is directly over my home in Belmont Heights and I was able to get some great shots of my house and neighborhood. Of course we were very low so as a local was able to see many great LA landmarks clearly. After landing the pilot came back and gave everyone a fancy certificate with your name and date you flew the legend. Sorry don't remember the phone number, but just go to the Long Beach California Airport web site and you can find all the info there.
It makes for a great time and greater memory.

FLY777UAL

Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:30 am

Theoretically, the Basler Turbo conversion for the DC-3 can fly West Coast-East Coast in long-range configuration...

hmm...LAX-JFK in 10:46 in a Basler Turbo "DST"...

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

greasespot

Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:36 am

I believe Buffalo un YZF also operates the worlds last regularly scheduled DC-3 flight....between Yellowknife and Hay river

Greasespot
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:19 pm

Catalina Flying Boats still operate 2 DC-3s from LGB to AVX hauling cargo and mail.

flyboy1980

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:48 pm

Pionair operates pax charters and flightseeing around New Zealand in their
DC-3s and Convair 580.

They also base a DC-3 in Australia for the same reasons as above.

Not sure about their total fleet size though.

I've been on the DC-3 that's based at Wigram Airport (the former Wigram Airforce Airbase) here in Christchurch several times. The one I went on had its rearmost right hand window replaced with a "bubble" window...your head fits right in and you can look forward and backwards...strange sensation but really cool!!

N730AS

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:32 am

I have seen an airline named Air North Canada or something like that here in FAI in a yellow color scheme.
N730AS (s/n 22577) 737-290C Registered Jun-29-1981

Superfly

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:06 am

When I was in Cuba, I saw Aerotaxi operating a DC-3.
Neat to see that plane climb out of HAV.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerard A Mark

Bring back the Concorde

greaser

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:28 am

ERA Aviation (A regional carrier in Alaska) ops. DC-3s
Well they are selling it to the public now.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael S Prophet
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sokol Ymeri

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Martin - AirTeamImages

Now you're really flying

Vikingair

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:50 am

I feel blessed to have been on a DC-3 several years ago from Orlando to Key West, it was a company called Vintage Air I think. Great service and package for a weekend fun in Key West, too bad it's not available anymore.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos