United Airline
Topic Author

What Happened To Stephen Wolf?

Fri May 06, 2005 3:27 am

What's up with him now?

And what happened to him? He was the CEO of US Airways. Why/when did he leave?

fewsolarge

RE: What Happened To Stephen Wolf?

Fri May 06, 2005 3:28 am

Hopefully, he was skeletonized by piranhas (slowly).

DLKAPA

Fri May 06, 2005 3:30 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):

And what happened to him? He was the CEO of US Airways. Why/when did he leave?

I thought he left right before Siegel came in.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

apodino

Fri May 06, 2005 3:32 am

Stephen Wolf presently serves on the board for Altria, the parent company of Nabisco, Phillip Morris and I believe Kraft.

goingboeing

Fri May 06, 2005 3:34 am

One thing's for sure, he ain't hurting.

NWADC9

Fri May 06, 2005 3:45 am

Isn't Stephen Wolf a chef as well, or am I thinking of someone else?
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

September11

Fri May 06, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
He was the CEO of US Airways

ex-CEO of United Airlines as well
Airliners.net of the Future

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 4:23 am

Yes he was the CEO of United Airlines.

When did he leave US Airways? And why? If I remember correctly, he was still there when 9.11 took place

BAe146

Fri May 06, 2005 4:46 am

He also sold off Flying Tigers and Republic. He is more known for trying to sell or merge airlines than trying to operate them.

-BAe146

QuestAir

Fri May 06, 2005 4:53 am

I remember well an anecdote from the summer of 2000. A UA flight from IAD-CDG was waiting to get off the ground when the ground crew got hold of the manifest and found out that Steve Wolf was onboard. The pilots refused to take off, and after 9 hours of delays, the flight was eventually scrubbed.

Just goes to show how much UAL employees hated him!
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

FriendlySkies

Fri May 06, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 5):
Isn't Stephen Wolf a chef as well, or am I thinking of someone else?

I think you're thinking of Wolfgang Puck.  Wink

Quoting BAe146 (Reply 8):
He also sold off Flying Tigers and Republic. He is more known for trying to sell or merge airlines than trying to operate them.

Got that right...hell, he even sold UA to it's own employees!

avek00

Fri May 06, 2005 5:17 am

The only reason why airline employees hated Wolf is because he was willing to go toe-to-toe with labor without flinching. That said, Wolf left United with a competitive cost structure, industry-leading service offerings, and an incoming fleet of 777s - all of these things contributed immensely to United's success during the 1990s.
Live life to the fullest.

F9HNLPLZ

Fri May 06, 2005 5:23 am

He is also the one that tried to sell US to UA back before 9/11. I am not sure if I would call him a great business man? Going toe-to-toe with unions can be good, but you also have to know what you are doing. Not sure if he falls into that category.
Frontier Airlines, A Whole Different Animal. Maybe some day to Hawaii???

FriendlySkies

Fri May 06, 2005 5:25 am

Yeah, and that attempted merger definately contributed to both airlines' current financial state (or lack there of).

StevenUhl777

Fri May 06, 2005 5:37 am

Some time ago, his house was in rural northern Virginia (Middleburg) was up for sale, a French-inspired place (he and Delores love France) that was up for $12 million.

Any takers?

I used to have the link to the site, not sure if it's sold yet or not. Again, this was about a year or so ago.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

redflyer

Fri May 06, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 11):
Wolf left United with a competitive cost structure, industry-leading service offerings, and an incoming fleet of 777s - all of these things contributed immensely to United's success during the 1990s.

Not to disagree from your point that Wolf was perhaps a good airline CEO; however, I don't think it was difficult for any airline (except, perhaps TWA) to make money in the 1990's. I would be curious to know how much of UAs success back then was really related directly to Wolf's guidance and how much of it was in fact the existing market conditions of the time.

Best regards,

R
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Skyguy

Fri May 06, 2005 6:23 am

Wolf was a smooth talking predator. A back-slapping, cowboy hat wearing, gung-ho, swaggering loud mouth who rode the wave and bailed before things got rough. He was a two trick pony, one to dabble with airlines, selling or buying them rather than building them organically and second was that he hired good people to do the donkey work for him.
He was one of those people who had a large circle of well connected good friends (hence the plum position of being a Board Director of Altria) and always somehow managed to be at the right place at the right time.
The industry will forget him in a hurry. But at least he was not hated as much as Frank Lorenzo.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

redflyer

Fri May 06, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting Skyguy (Reply 16):
But at least he was not hated as much as Frank Lorenzo.

I would think Wolf would be hated more. At least with Lorenzo, what you saw is what you got - there was never any doubt what his intentions were. With Wolf, as your description of him in your first paragraph notes, he was two-faced.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

sunking737

Fri May 06, 2005 7:40 am

Wolf, he sure squared things around at Republic. We were all one big happy family. Right up until he sold us to Northwest.

Talk about a group of unhappy people.(RC that is) Party was over.

But because of him now I enjoy life in the Country.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

aa777jr

Fri May 06, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting Goingboeing (Reply 4):
Stephen Wolf presently serves on the board for Altria, the parent company of Nabisco, Phillip Morris and I believe Kraft.

Yes indeed. He is one of those guys. If you know anything about the company "Altria" it says alot for who Mr. Wolf is.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 2:38 pm

So when did he leave US Airways? Why? Did he get kicked out or something?

I remember he was there when the UA-US merger failed

UA744Flagship

Fri May 06, 2005 9:36 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 11):
The only reason why airline employees hated Wolf is because he was willing to go toe-to-toe with labor without flinching. That said, Wolf left United with a competitive cost structure, industry-leading service offerings, and an incoming fleet of 777s - all of these things contributed immensely to United's success during the 1990s.

For once, I agree with this guy. Wolf's strategy paid off in the medium term.

However, Greenwald was overrated and served merely as a caretaker. Under his guidance, there were no major strategy shifts unlike Wolf's global strategy. Greenwald didn't do much international expansion at all. In fact, he is responsible for United contracting from many "beach" and "leisure" destinations and focusing on road warriors. Big mistake as United realized recently and started catching up with the rest of the network carriers and added beach svc.

Notice how we at United are now coming back to that global strategy... Wolf's brilliance in asset management was unfortunately overshadowed by his effective but unpopular labor moves...

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 15):
I would be curious to know how much of UAs success back then was really related directly to Wolf's guidance and how much of it was in fact the existing market conditions of the time.

I believe a lot of credit is due to him. UA would not have its superb hub structure and presence in 5 continents were it not for him. Even while we have been shrinking during BK, notice that the assets that we've tried to preserve are those set in place during the Wolf era: great hubs, great planes, and an impressive international network.
no wire hangers!

Singh4US

Sat May 07, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 20):

So when did he leave US Airways? Why? Did he get kicked out or something?

I remember he was there when the UA-US merger failed

Wolf retired in early 2002 (sometime in January or February -- Seigel took over on March 6, 2002).

US Airways' Stephen M. Wolf took a $15 million lump-sum pension payment when he stepped down as chief executive before the firm filed for bankruptcy protection the first time in 2002. The payment rewarded Wolf for an extra two decades of service to the airline.

http://www.lucentretirees.org/docs/MEDIA%20COVERAGE%20ARTICLES3.htm

Stephen M. Wolf

Chairman, R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company (Chicago, IL); and Managing Partner, Alpilles LLC (Arlington, VA)

Director since 1993

Mr. Wolf assumed his position as Chairman of R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company in March 2004. He assumed his position as Managing Partner of Alpilles LLC in April 2003. He is the retired Chairman of US Airways Group, Inc.(2) and US Airways, Inc. Previously and from August 1994, he was senior advisor in the investment banking firm of Lazard Frères & Co. LLC. From 1987 to July 1994, Mr. Wolf served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of UAL Corporation and United Air Lines, Inc. He serves as a trustee of The Brookings Institution and the World Wildlife Fund. Mr. Wolf is Chair of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and a member of the Audit, Compensation, Executive, and Public Affairs and Social Responsibility Committees.

http://www.altria.com/proxy2004/2004proxy_06_0500.asp

avek00

Sat May 07, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 20):

He didn't get kicked out so much as David Bronner assumed the Chairmanship with his investment in the reorganized US Airways. Just like with United, Wolf established the infrastructure at US Airways that is keeping the airline alive - a rationalized fleet, route structure, and (until recently) a strong & positive brand image.

avek00

Sat May 07, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting UA744Flagship (Reply 21):
Greenwald didn't do much international expansion at all.

In fact, United went in the OPPOSITE direction under Greenwald et. al., setting up codeshares and establishing the Star Alliance, which was implemented in such a way as to "farm out" some of United's international flying to foreign carriers. One consequence of this was United having an excess of widebodies until the past year or so - United had approx. 100 747s and 777s at one point, and ended up regularly flying some of them on midcon/transcon domestic flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos