MHTripple7
Topic Author

Ceiba Intercontinental 777-200LR - PAX Config?

Mon May 14, 2012 3:09 am

I realize that many questions have been asked about CEIBA's 77L with very few answers, but I was hoping someone had info on this.

It seems that C2's 77L has finally left HAM after apparently undergoing interior fitting, as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FVMira3i0Y

What caught me by surprise was a comment that stated:

"Must correct something: This Aircraft is NOT a Government A/C. It is a totally normal PAX Version with F/C/Y Cabin Layout."

So... what is the deal with this airplane? Truly very bizarre!

jetjack74

RE: Ceiba Intercontinental 777-200LR - PAX Config?

Mon May 14, 2012 3:19 am

Quoting MHTripple7 (Thread starter):
So... what is the deal with this airplane? Truly very bizarre!

One wonders what kind of a career that plane is going to have. My prediction is not a very long one is such a poor country.
Made from jets!

cargolex

Mon May 14, 2012 4:24 am

"Must correct something: This Aircraft is NOT a Government A/C. It is a totally normal PAX Version with F/C/Y Cabin Layout."

I wouldn't put much stock in a YouTube comment, honestly. I doubt any plane that goes to Hamburg for eight months so that it can have exactly the same cabin installed that it could get at the factory.

rfields5421

Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 am

what is the deal with this airplane?

I really don't see how an airline in a nation with a total population well under one million can justify a B-772 aircraft. With 70% of the population living on less than $2 per day income. Not many of the locals benefit from the oil business in offshore waters.

Add to that - their entire fleet is four ATR turboprops. And they are barred from operating in the European Union (I have no knowledge of any safety violations - but I doubt they have a certified safety and maintenance program in place to meet EU standards.)

So where are they going to fly this plane?

The country is served by Iberia, Air France and Lufthansa among others.

While it might not be a 'government aircraft' - it is possible the government helped fund the aircraft and intends to charter it for official flights.

Very strange.

MHTripple7
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 am

Quoting Cargolex (Reply 2):
I wouldn't put much stock in a YouTube comment, honestly. I doubt any plane that goes to Hamburg for eight months so that it can have exactly the same cabin installed that it could get at the factory.

I agree, which is why I posted here to get more info. Would love to see some interior pics, but I doubt there are any!

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 3):
I really don't see how an airline in a nation with a total population well under one million can justify a B-772 aircraft. With 70% of the population living on less than $2 per day income. Not many of the locals benefit from the oil business in offshore waters.

There is really no justification for the aircraft whatsoever. I have no clue on where the government plans to fly it either!

Add to that - their entire fleet is four ATR turboprops. And they are barred from operating in the European Union (I have no knowledge of any safety violations - but I doubt they have a certified safety and maintenance program in place to meet EU standards.)

This airline is one of the more mysterious ones out there. I wouldn't be surprised if there are abundant safety violations and we just don't know about them. They don't have a functioning website of any type.

mffoda

Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 1):
One wonders what kind of a career that plane is going to have. My prediction is not a very long one is such a poor country.

Well their per capita GDP is 20-30 times that of Ethiopia's, and ET has been just fine for decades...  
harder than woodpecker lips...

The777Man

Tue May 15, 2012 2:50 am

Hi !

My friend saw this aircraft at IAD recently and that is an indication that this is indeed a government aircraft. Their BBJ used to go there quite a lot and it seems it's now been replaced but the 77L which makes sense.

Quoting Cargolex (Reply 2):

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with the above comment.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

rfields5421

Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 am

Quoting mffoda (Reply 5):
Well their per capita GDP is 20-30 times that of Ethiopia's, and ET has been just fine for decades...

What is your source?

Wikipedia and CIA Fact Book show Equatorial Guinea as a GDP of 24 billion PPP/ 14 billion nominal - and Ethiopia as 94 billion PPP/ 31 billion nominal.

So Ethiopia has 2 to 3 times the GDP of Equatorial Guinea. True with the much larger population the per capita GDP is much lower.

The main part of the economy of Equatorial Guinea is very little benefit to citizens of that nation, except in revenue for the central government. It is oil exports and foreign oil workers that make up the vast majority of the GDP. The local people see almost nothing from the oil business.

One hopes that the government would use much of its royalties to upgrade the nation's infrastructure, roads, clean water, cheap electrical power - to upgrade the standard of living of the citizens. And to provide the necessary support for development of small businesses.

The country once was a major coffee exporter, a timber exporter, and other products.

The potential is there. But the need for an intercontinental airline is not yet there.

skipness1E

Tue May 15, 2012 3:02 am

mffoda

Tue May 15, 2012 3:24 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 7):
Quoting mffoda (Reply 5):

What is your source?

Wikipedia and CIA Fact Book show Equatorial Guinea as a GDP of 24 billion PPP/ 14 billion nominal - and Ethiopia as 94 billion PPP/ 31 billion nominal.

So Ethiopia has 2 to 3 times the GDP of Equatorial Guinea. True with the much larger population the per capita GDP is much lower.

I quoted "per capita" ...  
The main part of the economy of Equatorial Guinea is very little benefit to citizens of that nation, except in revenue for the central government.

Have you ever been to Ethiopia? The general population is not exactly rolling in the doe.  
harder than woodpecker lips...

kc135topboom

Tue May 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Well, according to wiki, this SA) and Eagle Air/Arnaflug (Iceland)">IS a government airplane, operated by C2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_Intercontinental_Airlines#Fleet

Fleet

The CEIBA Intercontinental fleet includes the following aircraft (as of 22 April 2012) [4]:
1 ATR 42-320
1 ATR 42-500
2 ATR 72-500
1 Boeing 777-200LR (operated for the Republica de Guinea Ecuatorial)

But on the wiki page for the Military Forces of Equatorial Guinea, it is not listed under the Air Force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...uatorial_Guinea#Aircraft_inventory

Aircraft inventory

The Air Force operates 13 aircraft plus the presidential flight.

Aircraft

Type

In service[5]

Notes

Aero L-39 Albatros

light attack

(024 and 025)

Antonov An-72 Coaler C

tactical transport

(032)

Antonov An-32 Cline

transport

Casa C-212-200 Aviocar

transport

Enstrom 480B

training helicopter

(015 and 017)

Mil Mi-24 HindV (Hind E)

attack

(010, 012, 018, 020 and 022)

Sukhoi Su-25K

attack

4 (Including 2 SU-25UBK)

(026, 027, 031 and 032)

[edit] Retired aircraft
2 Mikoyan MiG-17F Fresco
2 SA-316B Alouette III helicopters - in store

[edit] Presidential Flight
1 Agusta A109 (3C-EGS)
1 Boeing 737-700 (3C-EGE)
1 Dassault Falcon 50 (3C-LGE)
1 Dassault Falcon 900 (3C-ONM)
1 Embraer ERJ145EP (3C-QQH)
2 Mil Mi-17172 Hip-H (3C-LLE)
1 Yakovlev Yak-40 (3C-CGA)
1 Cessna 337 Super skymaster
1 Sikorsky S-92

I noticed that of the 23 aircraft (total) in the Air Force inventory, 10 are listed as "Presidential Aircraft". No wonder "President" (Dictator?) Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo doesn't want the B-77L listed as one of his aircraft.

Checo77

Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Maybe due to the Oil Bussines, there might be flights with it to DXB, AUH, IAH and LHR, PEK, NRT, etc.

I don´t understand why is everyone correlating the wealth of a country with the need/capacity to operate a large jet. Or do you think no one in E Guinea can afford air travel? Get out of your shelves and realize, that there are other parts of the world where people can afford air travel.

Adam

[Edited 2012-05-15 15:59:41]
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

na

Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 am

A 777 for Equatorial Guinea is a bit like Angela Merkel orders half a dozen A380s for the German government.

Why is a Bentley standing next to the runway? The Guinean consul watching the plane go?

Owleye

Wed May 16, 2012 11:30 am

The 777-200LR is in use as presidential flight, for government trips, the happy few of Equatorial Guinea and for expats, mainly oil business.

[Edited 2012-05-16 05:18:50]

MHTripple7
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 6):
My friend saw this aircraft at IAD recently and that is an indication that this is indeed a government aircraft. Their BBJ used to go there quite a lot and it seems it's now been replaced but the 77L which makes sense.

Thank you, and you are correct. I checked flight24.com, and the aircraft indeed flew SSG-IAD-SSG, i.e. a government aircraft. I imagine this is one decked-out Triple 7!

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 11):
I don´t understand why is everyone correlating the wealth of a country with the need/capacity to operate a large jet. Or do you think no one in E Guinea can afford air travel? Get out of your shelves and realize, that there are other parts of the world where people can afford air travel.

You should do some research. E Guinea has less than a million people, the majority of which are very poor. So yes, VERY few people in this country can afford air travel. The international flights are mainly used by foreign business travelers dealing largely with oil. There is demand for international flights, but the demand does not come from the local population.

kc135topboom

Wed May 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting MHTripple7 (Reply 14):
You should do some research. E Guinea has less than a million people, the majority of which are very poor. So yes, VERY few people in this country can afford air travel.

Yes, but the pump 360,000 bbls of oil per day, and that rate will increase. You would think all that money flowing into the country would help improve the quality of life there for everyone, since the population is so small.

BreninTW

Thu May 17, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 15):
Yes, but the pump 360,000 bbls of oil per day, and that rate will increase. You would think all that money flowing into the country would help improve the quality of life there for everyone, since the population is so small.

Sadly this is Africa* we're talking about -- and a true African Banana Republic at that. The money from that oil will mostly never see an African sunset.

Look at Nigeria -- one of the world's biggest producers of oil, yet the vast najority of the population lives in abject poverty and corruption is rife. The elite hold onto the oil money, squirreling it away in Swiss bank accounts and the man on the street never sees the benefits of it.

*And before anyone accuses me of being ignorant about Africa: It's where I grew up and lived for 25 years.

cargolex

Thu May 17, 2012 12:13 am

You would think all that money flowing into the country would help improve the quality of life there for everyone, since the population is so small.

You would think. But E Guinea is not a democracy by any means - in fact the country's leader once fired the entire staff of the second largest airport in the country because they had supported an opposition party - and much of that wealth goes straight into the foreign accounts of those who hold power. One American bank - Riggs, now part of a more well-known major U.S. bank - was hit with massive fines and sanctions about eight years ago for essentially hiding hundreds of millions of dollars in wealth appropriated from the country and stuck into personal bank accounts. The people in charge in Equatorial Guinea, however, never got any serious attention from law enforcement until more recently.

Just last year, the U.S. and France publicly condemned the son of Equatorial Guinea's president, and presumably the son will one day be president, for spending $70 million dollars in looted aid money on sports cars, mansions, and of all things Michael Jackson collectibles. France actually went so far as to seize some of the cars as part of a money laundering investigation.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of people in Equatorial Guinea live in poverty, tens of thousands not even having access to electricity or running water - forget about ever getting on a 777.

A rising tide can't lift all boats if all the water is diverted into one water tank.

BasilFawlty

Thu May 17, 2012 12:14 am

You would think all that money flowing into the country would help improve the quality of life there for everyone, since the population is so small.

It doesn't work like that in most African countries.  
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

TC957

Mon May 28, 2012 8:32 am

It seems that 3C-LLS is being sold to White as CS-TQX according to Skyliner Aviation News. Wonder if they'll just operate it on behalf of Ceiba.

rfields5421

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 am

The B777 for Ceiba flew Equatorial Guinea officials into IAH recently.

Weird Things In IAH Recently! (by TWA772LR Jun 11 2012 in Civil Aviation)

So while it might not be a 'government aircraft' - it seems to be being used by government officials.

kgaiflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:16 am

The country is served by Iberia, Air France and Lufthansa among others.

While it might not be a 'government aircraft' - it is possible the government helped fund the aircraft and intends to charter it for official flights.
The main part of the economy of Equatorial Guinea is very little benefit to citizens of that nation, except in revenue for the central government. It is oil exports and foreign oil workers that make up the vast majority of the GDP. The local people see almost nothing from the oil business.

It would seem a.netters are answering their own questions. Equatorial Guinea also has a pretty good soccer team, given its odd geography and absolutely weird anthopology.

MHTripple7
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:29 am

Check out this forum topic:

http://www.aviation-community.de/forum-nord/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9441

There's a pic of the interior, but unfortunately it still doesn't give much insight!

http://h12.abload.de/img/ssg05fnu9v.jpg

kgaiflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:39 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 21):
Equatorial Guinea also has a pretty good soccer team, given its odd geography and absolutely weird anthopology.

Did I mention the *two* official languages of government (*both* French and Spanish) and the *14* vernacular languages?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos