Mr. Mof
Topic Author

Most Dangerous Part Of Flight

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:37 am

Hi everyone,
I was once told, probably incorrectly, that the most "dangerous" part of an airline flight was the lift-off/ascent and the few moments thereafter. Once past those few minutes or so, the flight had less of a risk of having something go wrong. Has anyone heard this or is it an urban legend?

ryanb741

RE: Most Dangerous Part Of Flight

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:40 am

Take-off and landing are the most 'dangerous' parts of a flight, but this is relative. Flying can in no way be considered a dangerous means of travelling from A to B.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

apuneger

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:41 am

According to me, the most dangerous parts of flight are the parts where the aircraft is close to the ground, and where there are little or no margins for errors. So, the most dangerous parts of flight would be take-off, as you mentioned, but also the approach.

However, this doesn't mean that the other parts are safe. Pilots must be alert all the time and watch out for other traffic and other things, but the two parts of flight mentioned above are more dangerous than the 'enroute'-part.

I also think that most aircraft accidents happen during take-off and/or landing.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

flight152

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:41 am

The takeoff demands the most out of the airplane. While landing demands the most out of the pilot so those two parts is what I would call the the most dangerious.

BLACK BOX

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:46 am

Correct.
The few seconds between "Rotate" and "Positive Rate" are without doubt the most critical.

Mr. Mof
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:47 am

What is rotate and positive rate?

ryanb741

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:51 am

Rotation is literally when the a/c rotates - i.e. the nose starts pushing upwards at an angle allowing it to climb up.

Positive rate refers to a positive rate of climb - i.e. the a/c is ascending. The a/c does not automatically start ascending when it rotates - there is a point after rotation when the a/c commences a positive rate of climb.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:52 am

As a single engine pilot the worst that could happen is probably an engine failure after take off.

BLACK BOX

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:52 am

Rotate is T/O speed.

Positive rate is initial safe climb speed.

Mexitli

Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:57 am

The most dangerous part of any flight is when you are seated in a window seat in a long flight with a large person in the seat next to you and a sleeping person in the aisle seat, and then you develop diarrhea. . .  Acting devilish

Mr. Mof
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2001 1:01 am

Yes..that is bad..REALLY BAD!! One last question: When the aircraft rotates, does the pilot lift its nose...or is this automatic when the aircraft reaches take-off speed? I knew I should have gone to flight school!!

Fri Jul 06, 2001 1:18 am

This depends, some aircraft create the lift to rotate with minimal pilot control while others need pilot's control. It may also depend if the elevator trim is set.

-tom

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos