May 18, 2002
This Sabre is one of 34 which were delivered to the SAAF in 1956, to replace the Vampire. The aircraft was test flown and assembled in Canada before being dismantled and shipped out to South Africa. On 21 September 1956, the sound barrier was broken in South Africa for the first time with Sabre 350. The Sabre remained South Africa's first line of defence from 1956 to 1963. Note the 2 Squadron (Flying Cheetahs) badge just behind the machine guns.