Search found 124 matches

by SL1200MK2
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:32 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: If you were president, what would your cabinet look like?
Replies: 11
Views: 474

Re: If you were president, what would your cabinet look like?

I think, being president, I would prefer perhaps some hardwood but with excellent organizers inside said cabinet.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Changing Cities as Workers Like Working from Home
Replies: 51
Views: 2043

Re: Changing Cities as Workers Like Working from Home

The one part that I absolutely love is the fact that I have not caught a cold or anything since this all started. Relatively ironic being it is due to a pandemic, but still, it's really nice. Also, not having to waste 2.5-3 hours per day being miserable on trains, busses ect. not only removed a nega...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:35 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: The Confederate Flag - Stars & Bars and Southern heritage
Replies: 185
Views: 6273

Re: The Confederate Flag - Stars & Bars and Southern heritage

I saw a bunch of them flying in rural homes outside of Prague about two years ago. I asked a gentleman who explained they meant the same thing these as in the American south. It was slightly embarrassing.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Lincoln Project Ad - Americans Must Choose 'America'
Replies: 45
Views: 2742

Re: Lincoln Project Ad - Americans Must Choose 'America'

Yes, I always used this argument when the Confederate statutes were being finally removed from public spaces, and Confederate names from schools and the "Stars and Bars" was taken down from atop government buildings. Why does anyone encourage or want to support people treasonous to the US...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Sat May 09, 2020 4:42 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Is there a pasta shortage where you live?
Replies: 50
Views: 2370

Re: Is there a pasta shortage where you live?

Pasta is pretty much available here in SF, though some varieties seem a bit low. Many of the items noted above such as flour, yeast etc., can be found at local ethnic supermarkets and neighborhood bodegas. I recommend that folks check these spots out too as they often have many hard-to-find items.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:14 pm
Forum: Travel, Polls & Preferences
Topic: Rare and Short Lived Airline/Aircraft Combinations
Replies: 96
Views: 7695

Re: Rare and Short Lived Airline/Aircraft Combinations

I believe Emirates had 727’s and 737’s in their early days.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:28 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Novel Coronavirus outbreak
Replies: 4092
Views: 164292

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

I see that China reports 3 new cases today. Unless there has been some kind of edict from the party forbidding testing or the party is falsifying figures, how is that possible? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries PS With 4000+ seriously/critically ill no deaths were reported today ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: In the meantime.
Replies: 6
Views: 473

In the meantime.

I noticed in the Corona Virus thread a discussion about being stuck in the house during this mess. I found it quite interesting seeing how other folks are managing it. While I’ve lots to do here, lately I’ve been a bit stuck with indecision and a bit of anxiety. This has led me to be less than produ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Novel Coronavirus outbreak
Replies: 4092
Views: 164292

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

In reading about Milan and the region being locked down, I understand how roads and rail lines can be closed and protected. However, if this were to happen in the US, would the Air Force patrol for general aviation leaving the locked down areas? Would the Navy guard against personal boats leaving?

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:56 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Seneate Minority Leader Schumer threatens members of Supreme court
Replies: 98
Views: 2650

Re: Seneate Minority Leader Schumer threatens members of Supreme court

This all started because "why is everyone so upset about pu**y grabbing comments? They are just words. It's not like he ever did it" or "lock her up" or demanding a judge recuse himself because he "is of Mexican heritage" and "rapists and drug dealers" all th...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: New kids on the block from NYC to PARIS - French Bee, Corsair and Level (Will they survive the route?)
Replies: 22
Views: 3887

Re: New kids on the block from NYC to PARIS - French Bee, Corsair and Level (Will they survive the route?)

I wouldn't call AF extremely tight, 10 abreast 777-200 is very standard. Its not even a COI configured frame. I've heard alot of good things from the ORY flight as its closer than CDG and is relatively calmer. Purely anecdotal of course. 9 airlines on the NYC route might be too much. All the better...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:00 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: A Smell like no other.
Replies: 29
Views: 1794

Re: A Smell like no other.

I hate to state the obvious, but the smell of burning JetA reminds me of being young and watching Swift Aire and then Wings West turboprops at SBP. Of course, these days it also it connected to aviation and traveling in general. I assume many of us feel similarly about it.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:13 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Does NBC Know What They're Talking About Regarding Aviation?
Replies: 41
Views: 3316

Re: Does NBC Know What They're Talking About Regarding Aviation?

You would think NBC would be a lot be a lot better as I think Lester Holt's brother was the former VP of Flight Ops at Alaska Airlines. Kind of makes you wonder about all the other "news" that we see from the mainline news organiztions? I was dating a local anchorwoman here in SF and I’d ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Time for Something lighter: Great Soups of the World
Replies: 34
Views: 1138

Re: Time for Something lighter: Great Soups of the World

I’m not sure how traditional it is but there’s a spot in DC that had ma po tofu noodle soup. Easily my favorite

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:05 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: "Then Why Didn't You Stay in Mexico?"
Replies: 68
Views: 2313

Re: "Then Why Didn't You Stay in Mexico?"

Here is what I believe happened: Tom Burtell heard Adrian Iraola speaking about racist taunts he believed his son had been subjected to. Burtell interpreted this as a complaint about the treatment the Iraola family was receiving in America, which needed reconciling with Iraola's decision to come to...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Johnny Depp Vindicated
Replies: 27
Views: 1832

Re: Johnny Depp Vindicated

I don't follow celebrities or celebrity gossip but i recently found out Amber heard has basically ruined Johnny Depp's career through domestic abuse allegations. Plot twist: In a recording from 2015 it appears that he was telling the truth all along that she was the abuser (or at least the one who ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:47 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: DOT fines Delta for discriminating against Muslim passengers
Replies: 22
Views: 7382

Re: DOT fines Delta for discriminating against Muslim passengers

While I suppose there are instances where the captain has not kicked off people at the cabin crew’s request, why is it so often that they seemed to side with them without much debate? I suppose maybe that’s the part we don’t hear about. However, it does seem like there may be some sort of issues bet...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:07 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: DOT fines Delta for discriminating against Muslim passengers
Replies: 22
Views: 7382

Re: DOT fines Delta for discriminating against Muslim passengers

This is interesting to see. Can I assume that these incidents were those were perhaps a Muslim person was talking on a mobile phone and a passenger got scared and told the FA, who then told the flight crew, who then, not wanting to go against the FA's, had the pax removed? While I understand the pos...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:43 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Oakland squatters call offer of two months' free rent "an insult."
Replies: 78
Views: 2452

Re: Oakland squatters call offer of two months' free rent "an insult."

A couple thoughts: 1. Could we all agree then on the following changes to property tax regulations? Permit the wealthy foreign investors to purchase their properties. But tax the living daylights out of the sale and property. Sorry, you don't live here, so your tax rate is going to be several times...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Oakland squatters call offer of two months' free rent "an insult."
Replies: 78
Views: 2452

Re: Oakland squatters call offer of two months' free rent "an insult."

Agreed. The restrictions are ridiculous. Some cities refuse to permit structures over three stories. In many places the only way to build anything meaningful would be high rise apartments and condominiums. Ah thank god, now a real conversation about something important is under way. The situation i...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:43 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: This OR That Thread Q1 2020
Replies: 137
Views: 5410

Re: This OR That - Resurrected

NIKV69 wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

vinyl

IPA or lager?


Piper or Cessna?


Piper


BK or McDonalds


Tough one but I’d have to say BK as I don’t eat beef, and BK has the Impossible Whopper

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:17 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: This OR That Thread Q1 2020
Replies: 137
Views: 5410

Re: This OR That - Resurrected

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Soft.

Software or hardware?


Software

Vinyl or CD


vinyl

IPA or lager?


Piper or Cessna?

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:20 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: A350 Interior Trim Panel Comes Off
Replies: 35
Views: 11478

Re: A350 Overhead Bin Collapses

Not sure if that’s an overhead bin. Looks like the cover for the cabin crew rest area at the rear of the aircraft. We have had it a few times where passengers have pulled on it very hard thinking it was an overhead bin. Whether it was an overhead bin or a crew rest area, should it be that easy to p...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: War On Christmas Cancelled?
Replies: 49
Views: 2626

Re: War On Christmas Cancelled?

The imaginary ones the conservative pundits created and fought an imaginary war against, I believe, because how else are older people going to get angry and afraid of the World otherwise? It’s the only war “Christians” can win....faux wars, because they sure as shyte can win real ones. What in the ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:07 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Russia banned from all world sporting events because of doping (again)
Replies: 80
Views: 2399

Re: Russia banned from all world sporting events because of doping (again)

So what is the motivation behind them being banned, if not because they were caught doping?

It was to exclude a contender?

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:49 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Russia banned from all world sporting events because of doping (again)
Replies: 80
Views: 2399

Re: Russia banned from all world sporting events because of doping (again)

It will be nice not seeing Russians at the Olympics coming up. What’s nice here? Let’s say your country’s athlete wins, but not because he defeated his strongest competitor, but instead this competitor was kicked out of the race in some dirty way (like this one - using “group punishment” novelty, s...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:39 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Russia banned from all world sporting events because of doping (again)
Replies: 80
Views: 2399

Re: Russia banned from all world sporting events because of doping (again)

I’ve always been fascinated by the kinds of people who like to win by cheating. It must be a really terrible existence to be proud of undeserved “wins”. Are they somehow proud of this kind of faked success?

It will be nice not seeing Russians at the Olympics coming up.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:57 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Honestly, what is going on with California?
Replies: 93
Views: 3803

Re: Honestly, what is going on with California?

No, it doesn't need to stop...ignorance is legal and some people like hanging on to theirs. It would certainly be nice if 'those types' would rise from the ignorance pool...but they won't, but instead will past it on from generation to the next. It's kinda good those false assessments & analogi...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:33 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Honestly, what is going on with California?
Replies: 93
Views: 3803

Re: Honestly, what is going on with California?

[This whole right wing notion of "everything in California is evil" really needs to stop. Until you (pl) have lived there, until you (pl) understand that each of the 50 states have their own needs, the whole notion of "leave California behind because they are 'liberal'" is a jok...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: PC-12 Crash in Chamberlain NTSB Preliminary released
Replies: 117
Views: 4503

Re: PC-12 crash in Chamberlain leaving 9 dead

Hello Everyone, Might someone clue me in on something please? I’ve noticed a few folks mentioning that one of the risk factors was that this in an uncontrolled airport. How does this add to the risk in this particular situation? Is it because of lack of services should something go wrong? While I u...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:33 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: PC-12 Crash in Chamberlain NTSB Preliminary released
Replies: 117
Views: 4503

Re: PC-12 crash in Chamberlain leaving 9 dead

spacecadet, Howdy, Your comment got me thinking. By what you say, it seems like this may be the “doctor killer” effect, where someone gets their license and can afford a big step up to a far faster and more complex aircraft. I mention this because of the types you mention - TBM, CE-510, etc - are n...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:25 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: PC-12 Crash in Chamberlain NTSB Preliminary released
Replies: 117
Views: 4503

Re: PC-12 crash in Chamberlain leaving 9 dead

spacecadet, [Well, I can tell you from experience that that is definitely not accurate. Risk management was literally the first ground lesson I ever had. ADM has been hammered constantly in all stages of my training ever since (I am an instrument-rated private pilot, now in commercial training)./qu...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: PC-12 Crash in Chamberlain NTSB Preliminary released
Replies: 117
Views: 4503

Re: PC-12 crash in Chamberlain leaving 9 dead

Hello Everyone, Might someone clue me in on something please? I’ve noticed a few folks mentioning that one of the risk factors was that this in an uncontrolled airport. How does this add to the risk in this particular situation? Is it because of lack of services should something go wrong? While I un...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:54 pm
Forum: Trip Reports
Topic: American Airlines Phoenix - New York with multiple delays & cancellations
Replies: 18
Views: 5086

Re: American Airlines Phoenix - New York with multiple delays & cancellations

Not to veer too far off-subject, but why is there a policy of requiring the exact routing on an award ticket during IROPS? Seems like an arbitrary rule that only makes things more difficult. I get it if it is a voluntary change, but why not allow them when things go wrong? (Obviously they *do* allow...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:04 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Honestly, what is going on with California?
Replies: 93
Views: 3803

Re: Honestly, what is going on with California?

I was there for a week, two weeks ago, my brother and his family live there. I visit several times a year. I’ve been in the state probably six times a year for the past 25 years. It’s “Cali”, even to many residents. My brother’s family would agree and hate what SFO has become. Niece even says it wa...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:23 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Trump rushed to Walter Reed
Replies: 30
Views: 1593

Re: Trump rushed to Walter Reed

Howdy Doc, Might you grace us with some more info about this? If this was serious, as you suggest, would they let the thing go back to the White House? Is two hours normal for a major cardiac event? Obviously, they made at appear as if he was well, with him walking to his car etc, but still, you th...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:11 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Chick-fil-A is ending donations criticized by LGBTQ activists
Replies: 30
Views: 1377

Re: Chick-fil-A is ending donations criticized by LGBTQ activists

Perhaps, like any business, they are most interested in money. Maybe they realized that people who support gay rights have better spending power than those who typically are afraid of gay folks.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:05 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Trump rushed to Walter Reed
Replies: 30
Views: 1593

Re: Trump rushed to Walter Reed

I think this is just a play for sympathy. He has been having a very bad week with the impeachment and all his very best people turning on him and wants the whole country to stop talking about what a crook he is and have some sympathy for him. I doubt it. The President is a man in his 70s who is obe...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:24 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: I don't recognize Hong Kong these days
Replies: 76
Views: 3694

Re: I don't recognize Hong Kong these days

What does the text say? I don’t speak or write in any Chinese and I’m curious about these signs now. Thanks! The photo captured what appeared to be part of a sentence (if there was a sentence). It translates to "Be suspicious of Chinese dogs and Cockroach Ping (referring to Xi Jinping the Chin...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:39 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: The Impeachment Hearings
Replies: 743
Views: 28575

Re: The Impeachment Hearings

The impeachment hearings have shown one thing. The Republicans are not interested in investigating for the good of the country. If you elected a person to represent one of your personal clubs or organizations and that person and was in charge of your dues and how it was spent, would you take except...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: I don't recognize Hong Kong these days
Replies: 76
Views: 3694

Re: I don't recognize Hong Kong these days

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.2648%2C$multiply_1%2C$ratio_1.777778%2C$width_1059%2C$x_0%2C$y_54/t_crop_custom/w_551/q_86%2Cf_auto/8fe5b26548ee174928635767ce46e9b63ab1947a Current front page of Sydney Morning Herald. I wonder if the author actually realise what the texts mean. It is about as ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:31 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: I don't recognize Hong Kong these days
Replies: 76
Views: 3694

Re: I don't recognize Hong Kong these days

The PRC is trying to accelerate their full control of HK instead of waiting until 2048. The CP leadership of the PRC want control of the money, economy, access to bribes, steal property, end respect of HK's British influenced rule of contract law and human rights, so need to repress any challenges ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:31 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: America vs India
Replies: 87
Views: 3968

Re: America vs India

I think a major difference is that in the U.S., I believe that more than 30% of the population has access to toilets. Which also means the smells at ILS minimums at BOM are eye-watering, something not smelt at say, JFK. I don’t want to diverge too far from the discussion, however, that is intense, ...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: America vs India
Replies: 87
Views: 3968

Re: America vs India

I think a major difference is that in the U.S., I believe that more than 30% of the population has access to toilets.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Nothing landing at LHR at the moment?
Replies: 27
Views: 9375

Re: Nothing landing at LHR at the moment?

What happened to “saving the planet “lift the curfew and operate round the clock to combat global warming ... Sorry but if you know nothing about LHR PLEASE STOP POSTING garbage. No one in the industry wants this, it’s inhumane to operate 24/7 across such a large part of London which is why night f...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:13 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg preparing to enter 2020 race.
Replies: 74
Views: 2832

Re: Bloomberg preparing to enter 2020 race.

I asked everyone to address Bloomberg refusing to leave after being termed out. Crickets. He changed the rules to run for a third term but since he has the D next to his name it's ok. Where if Trump did that we would have the world ending. See why we can't take the Democratic party seriously anymor...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:42 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy
Replies: 190
Views: 22847

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

How did we get from lousy LH offering to big oil? Or Greta Thurnberg. Both of you represent planet destroying “big oil”. I do understand what you are saying, and if there are purported benefits to Lufthansa's cheaper meals that are better for the environment, then that is great. Are you implying, h...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:14 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Anti-gun violence mom shot three kids dead then killed herself after divorce
Replies: 15
Views: 777

Re: Anti-gun violence mom shot three kids dead then killed herself after divorce

No doubt at all. It’s similar to politicians who rail against homosexuality and then get caught tapping their foot in the restroom at MSP.

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:37 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Smugglers are reportedly cutting holes in Trump’s newly constructed border wall with saws and power tools
Replies: 52
Views: 2300

Re: Smugglers are reportedly cutting holes in Trump’s newly constructed border wall with saws and power tools

I'm for all of it: Walls Robust CBP Enforcement Imprisonment of employers of illegals National Guard units "collecting' those that get through the walls and catapulting them back over Air National Guard units flying A10 patrols Brrrrrrrrp Brrrrrrrp Brrrrrrping the rest Its an invasion no matte...

Jump to post
by SL1200MK2
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Antifa-linked man gets 6 years in prison for baton attack
Replies: 50
Views: 1847

Re: Antifa-linked man gets 6 years in prison for baton attack

https://www.foxnews.com/us/antifa-linked-defendant-gets-6-years-in-brutal-baton-attack-in-portland-reports Hopefully this sets a precedent. Disagreeing with someone, even loudly so, is fine. Beating people you don't like with metal objects is not acceptable. The "tolerant" left. Isn't it ...

Jump to post