Search found 268 matches

by 9Patch
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts
Replies: 56
Views: 7186

Re: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts

emuwarveteran wrote:
In this thread: Americans talking about how this is a "pipe dream" and "unsustainable" because they are stuck with the outdated vision of Poland as a poor country which can only support low-cost carriers.

I don't think the skepticism is coming from Americans only.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:36 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Complaint filed against Boeing and WN over 737 MAX safety issues
Replies: 90
Views: 12909

Re: Boeing and WN sued over 737 MAX safety issues

If any passengers in the class action were on a flight with a AOA sensor issue, and they experienced the eventual roller coaster recovery scenario, then that experience comes back to haunt them now, as a result of the details they now know from the JT610 and ET302 crashes. They can't sleep some nig...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:50 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: KLM calls for people to fly less
Replies: 234
Views: 22506

Re: KLM calls for people to fly less

Bottom line is that there is no "one size fits all" answer. Precisely. Again, pushing the train as THE best idea ever since sliced bread is moronic; everyone has unique situations which will steer them towards plane or train. Concocting straw man arguments is moronic, but I agree with the...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: KLM calls for people to fly less
Replies: 234
Views: 22506

Re: KLM calls for people to fly less

Observation of life and reality in Europe. In the US the city center is called the 'central business district' for a reason. OK, and? We're talking about Europe here. Same player, try again. I think a320afan pretty much destroyed your argument: But you still have to go from the airport to your fina...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:54 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: KLM calls for people to fly less
Replies: 234
Views: 22506

Re: KLM calls for people to fly less

WayexTDI wrote:
9Patch wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
But, there are much more businesses outside of city centers than within city centers.

And you know this, how?

Observation of life and reality in Europe.

In the US the city center is called the 'central business district' for a reason.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:23 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: KLM calls for people to fly less
Replies: 234
Views: 22506

Re: KLM calls for people to fly less

WayexTDI wrote:
But, there are much more businesses outside of city centers than within city centers.

And you know this, how?

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: KLM calls for people to fly less
Replies: 234
Views: 22506

Re: KLM calls for people to fly less

Train travel is much more convenient up to a 3 hour trip maybe even 4. You go from city centre to city centre , the process is a lot more relaxed, no hassle with security, waiting around terminals, lining up to check in, security, board flights, waiting for any bags, transport into and from city ce...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:52 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts
Replies: 56
Views: 7186

Re: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts

Andrw wrote:
9Patch, really? You're a dreamer, a bad one that's for sure. In US maybe, in China, Japan, even Russia yes, they will come. In Poland?

I guess you didn't notice the sarcasm emoji I put at the end of my post.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts
Replies: 56
Views: 7186

Re: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts

May I ask how exactly they're planning to fill up this airport? I assume with it they're gonna replace both airports of Warsaw, but that alone is nowhere near enough to justify an airport of that size. Are they gonna replace more airports with this? "Build it and they will come." :sarcast...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts
Replies: 56
Views: 7186

Re: Poland's proposed new mega airport CPK reveals competing design concepts

A lot of those concepts show glass buildings.
What are the implications for heating them in the winter and cooling them in the summer?

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:39 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Korean Air Captain Tries to Drink Inflight, FA Who Stopped Him Demoted
Replies: 85
Views: 19244

Re: Korean Air Captain Tries to Drink Inflight, FA Who Stopped Him Demoted

mattnrsa wrote:
The cabin chief who stopped him was demoted after the investigation for using insulting words during the altercation and for leaking an internal matter.

The cabin chief should be promoted.
The captain should be fired.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: What's going to happen after the 787/a350 orderbooks are completed?
Replies: 32
Views: 5293

Re: What's going to happen after the 787/a350 orderbooks are completed?

Why did you start this thread with a question if you're brushing aside every single response? Your opinion is that Airbus and Boeing won't sell many more A350's or 787's from now on and thus close down the line once the backlog is built; why ask then??? We are having a discussion. So far, no one ha...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: New Airbus and Boeing Market Forecasts
Replies: 29
Views: 3130

Re: New Airbus and Boeing Market Forecasts

Technically, the 779 is a VLA. Is there an 'official' definition of VLA? Who decides? Do Airbus and Boeing agree on it? Airbus doesn't want to say Boeing has 100% of X00 aircraft. What does X00 mean? Boeing doesn't want to call the 777X a VLA as people will recall how small a market they predicted ...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: New Airbus and Boeing Market Forecasts
Replies: 29
Views: 3130

Re: New Airbus and Boeing Market Forecasts

VV wrote:

Why would the new rationale for the forecast this year would be more correct than the past forecasts if there has not been any assessment of what went wrong in the past.


“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” --Yogi Berra

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:29 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

Perhaps I should also ignore the fact that you have chosen to ignore the comment I made that refutes every one of the allegations you have just made Perhaps a reminder... Unlike the A380 I think it's close enough to the other planes to survive in that hostile environment Yes, you did pay lip servic...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:40 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

mig17 wrote:
And you ignore the fact that there are more competition against the 77X where it does not seem to have the upper hand. Remember A340NG?

I remember the two engine 777 killed the four engine A340.
That's why there was never a A340NG.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:34 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

The B779 isn’t a true replacement of the A380, because it’s too small. I never said it was a true replacement. I said it was the last man standing in the VLA passenger market. The B779 will replace the A380 on some routes, but I don’t see it as THE replacement. The B779 is the plane if you are look...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:02 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

For me, the 777X finds itself in the uncomfortable place the A380 found itself in - that lonely spot as the largest, most expensive, least flexible airframe out there, undercut by smaller, more versatile modern airframes. But it's future got brighter with the untimely demise of the A380. It's the l...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

And the 779 does fit into a niche, how big this is and - more important - will become, is not clear. Some political issues in the Middle East that goes south and a economic crisis can make or break the 779. But it's future got brighter with the untimely demise of the A380. It's the last man standin...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:44 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

Every argument that was said against the A380 applies to the 779 too although it is funny and totally expected that the same posters have now switched their views 180 degrees on the matter. Every argument? The A380 has four engines. The 777 has two. The A380 is significantly larger than the 779. Bu...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:01 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

Absynth wrote:
I delivered my first hand source on the Etihad reduction, really curious to see if he can back up his claim as well. You reading this Checklist?

Oh, did you?
I missed it. All I saw was you telling people to google it.
Can you please re-post your first hand source?

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:54 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

So much emphasis that the A350-1000 is out of the picture for EK, it is becoming suspicious. Emirates proved very flexible changing, cancelling firm orders. It’s the topic of this thread. No exceptions for the A350s I assume. Sure they could swap the A333neo's and A359 for the 1000. They're stuck h...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:14 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Middle East 3 Carriers are the Lifeline for 777-8/-9 Program

Yup better stay uninformed in your little bubble. More importantly, there should be a rolleyes quotum around here. I notice you didn't answer the question. :shock: Because there is such a thing as google. I'm also not the first person to have mentioned this. Sorry, you make the claim, you must prov...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:36 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Middle East 3 Carriers are the Lifeline for 777-8/-9 Program

The Etihad order is almost certainly reduced from 25 to 6. OTOH that A350 order by Emirates is firm even if it isnt 100% finalised. There might still be a A380 order in the books formally, but the order has been changed over. It will likely be finalised after they have a new deal in place with Boei...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:29 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

It is from an engineering perspective - although my engineering is very rusty having changed to working with 0's and 1's these days. With an I beam - which is effectively what the element that is changed here - as you reduce the height of the I you need to add thickness in order to carry the same s...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:02 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

StTim wrote:
The resculpting of the sidewalls likely added weight to the fuselage. More metal required in the sculpted frames to take the stress.

Source?
Did your read that somewhere, or is that something you made up?

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

Fatbus wrote:
Don't forget EK plan to operate the 380 well into 2030's, it's not going away any time soon.

I thought they kept their planes for 12 years.
If they take their last one in 2021 that means it will be leaving the fleet in 2033.
Where did you hear that they plan to operate the 380 well into the 2030's?

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

77X sides were resculpted to allow 10x 18" seats. Boeing's numbers assume 10 abreast Y. The resculpting only adds 4 more inches spread out over 10 seats and two aisles. Emirates currently has 17-inch seats in their 10x 777s according to SeatGuru. They might be able to bump that up to 17.4 inch...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:49 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

Market - *is* - there is a niche now. An A380-sized niche. If Boeing launched a 777-10X today, that is the niche it would be going after. My assertions on the niche getting bigger by 2030 onwards do not contradict this, although i agree it was poorly worded. To be clear - we are talking about the s...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:43 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

They could but why would either of them want to build a new niche plane with a market of less than 300? They would never recoup development costs. In spite of what many here think, they're in business to make money, not to build cool toys to thrill av-geeks. Point taken on the money side (which was...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:30 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Emirates renegotiating 777X order
Replies: 552
Views: 92248

Re: Emirates renegotiating 777X order

You look at the way Boeing and Airbus now use a LOT of subcontracting for parts and components - this would have been unthinkable 30 years ago but its how major programmes are done now. So if Boeing can work with Shorts, Spirit, GE, Zodiac, Mitsubishi, Embraer, Honeywell, Leonardo and Northrop-Grum...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:36 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: LH will look at A321XLR, but it's no game-changer: CEO
Replies: 183
Views: 24678

Re: LH will look at A321XLR, but it's no game-changer: CEO

ihmcallister wrote:
More comfortable to spend a long flight in a narrow-body with 3+3 and 18" wide seats, than a 777 in 3+3+3 with 17" wide seats any day!

Who operates a 777 with 3+3+3 and 17-inch seats?
Those planes must have really wide aisles!

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:54 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War
Replies: 292
Views: 33805

Re: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War

flee wrote:
Well the EK order is a conversion from the A380 - something that is normal activity.

We don't make too much of a fuss when airlines upgauge but when they downgauge, it seems to be a big deal.

Well, it was airlines downgauging that killed the A380 program, so it is a big deal.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:53 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inference: BA may acquire 6 x A380 ex-LH
Replies: 56
Views: 17557

Re: Inference: BA may acquire 6 x A380 ex-LH

I'm kind of curious as to how they are defining refurbishing, are they planning on a complete interior gutting, ripping out galleys, bathrooms & going down to bare metal? Wonder how much money could be saved by leaving the washrooms & galleys in place & just changing seats/upholstery &a...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:03 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inference: BA may acquire 6 x A380 ex-LH
Replies: 56
Views: 17557

Re: Inference: BA may acquire 6 x A380 ex-LH

Waterbomber2 wrote:
As for the airlines who now operate the A380, they better think twice before selling them. It's like selling your heaviest weapons to your enemies.

When it comes to commercial aircraft having the 'heaviest' is not a good thing.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War
Replies: 292
Views: 33805

Re: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War

It's such inefficient that Boeing basically copied the process for the 787: subcontract the subassemblies to suppliers all over the world and fly all those to 2 places for final assembly... Boeing took the Airbus process and improved upon it. Airbus admits they need to cut costs to compete. Why is ...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:41 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War
Replies: 292
Views: 33805

Re: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War

It's such inefficient that Boeing basically copied the process for the 787: subcontract the subassemblies to suppliers all over the world and fly all those to 2 places for final assembly... Boeing took the Airbus process and improved upon it. Airbus admits they need to cut costs to compete. Why is ...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:27 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Turkish Airlines increases Washington DC to 10 weekly
Replies: 23
Views: 3571

Re: Turkish Airlines increases Washington DC to 10 weekly

Am I the only one who saw at first glance, Turkish Airlines DC 10?

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 3768
Views: 382702

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

Since Boeing insists they did nothing wrong during certification, I conclude that the existing process doesn't guarantee the safety of the airplane, and MAX should be grounded until the new process is designed and implemented. You do realize, what you conclude doesn't matter a whit. It's what the F...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: DL delays introduction of A330-900neo to PVG, ICN, and NRT
Replies: 8
Views: 4362

Re: DL delays introduction of A330-900neo to PVG, ICN, and NRT

LDRA wrote:
Lack of supplies? What does that even mean?

I think it means they're not getting parts from the subcontractors on time.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:44 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 3768
Views: 382702

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

Since Boeing insists they did nothing wrong during certification, I conclude that the existing process doesn't guarantee the safety of the airplane, and MAX should be grounded until the new process is designed and implemented. You do realize, what you conclude doesn't matter a whit. It's what the F...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: DL delays introduction of A330-900neo to PVG, ICN, and NRT
Replies: 8
Views: 4362

Re: DL delays introduction of A330-900neo to PVG, ICN, and NRT

Just curious why you didn't include the reason as stated in the linked article: Delta has cited delays in deliveries due to the lack of supplies at the Airbus factory in France, saying on The Points Guy: “Because Delta is taking delivery of new A330-900neo aircraft later than initially expected, Del...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:54 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: LH will look at A321XLR, but it's no game-changer: CEO
Replies: 183
Views: 24678

Re: LH will look at A321XLR, but it's no game-changer: CEO

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1425571 UA seems not interested in the XLR as well ,they need bigger planes tu fill the MOM needs Well it's amazing how the frequency over aircraft size crowd can change their mind when it's inconvenient... The A380 was too big, because severa...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: LH will look at A321XLR, but it's no game-changer: CEO
Replies: 183
Views: 24678

Re: LH will look at A321XLR, but it's no game-changer: CEO

It's all about the pitch for me, and I am not sure about going on an LCC for that reason. Don't forget seat width, too. Both pitch and width make for a comfortable, or uncomfortable flight. That's why the 777, 787, 737 are no fun no matter the pitch when you have 16-17" narrow seats rubbing sh...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:08 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 3768
Views: 382702

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

In reality, there's no reality--it's all speculation on your part. Of course there's speculation. If every post could only contain opinions completely based on "evidence" or "sources", we wouldn't have a forum. Instead of being disruptive, how about you challenge the opinion? Pe...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:53 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War
Replies: 292
Views: 33805

Re: Bloomberg:Airbus Says It Must Slash A350 Costs to Win Wide-Body Price War

If the 787 empty weight is significantly reduced (just the 3D printed stuff going on at the end of this year should remove about 500kg), this will nicely open up the payload/range charts. You know which plane is called "the most 3D-printed plane in history”? It is the A350. So will Airbus will...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 3768
Views: 382702

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

planecane wrote:
If it was a US airline that experienced a MAX crash or the crash was on US soil then the political will would exist to reach a bipartisan compromise. In the reality that currently exists that will isn't there.

In reality, there's no reality--it's all speculation on your part.

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:19 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 3768
Views: 382702

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

Please provide evidence that it is a popular issue. If you can't find polling (either media or done by politicians) about it that means it isn't. Which member of Congress has announced they are sponsoring a bill related to the FAA certification process? If you can't find polling it simply means no ...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 3768
Views: 382702

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

Please provide evidence that it is a popular issue. If you can't find polling (either media or done by politicians) about it that means it isn't. Which member of Congress has announced they are sponsoring a bill related to the FAA certification process? If you can't find polling it simply means no ...

Jump to post
by 9Patch
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:52 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 3768
Views: 382702

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

As far as Congress acting, I'd be happy to place a friendly wager on that. Politicians primarily push legislation that will help them get reelected. Giving the FAA the necessary funding to improve aircraft certification isn't a popular issue since none of the crashes happened in the US or on a US a...

Jump to post