Search found 16666 matches

by zeke
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:18 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Qatar and Airbus Legal Dispute Continues - Airbus Revokes A321 Order
Replies: 168
Views: 13775

Re: Qatar and Airbus Legal Dispute Continues - Airbus Revokes A321 Order

Well Boeing has built at least one 789 at CHS for QR (LN 1109) so Qatar has clearly not told them they are halting all deliveries now that 787 is CHS only. I did not make that up, it was widely reported and previously discussed on here eg https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/business/boeing-dreamline...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Belarusian Government Officials Charged With Aircraft Piracy
Replies: 12
Views: 1327

Re: Belarusian Government Officials Charged With Aircraft Piracy

davidjohnson6 wrote:
What does the US Govt really want to achieve on this ?


It would be a lawful way in my view to have assets associated with the government and those individuals frozen. They effectively have done this before making life hard for people, with all visa/mastercard payments stopped.

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:47 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Qatar and Airbus Legal Dispute Continues - Airbus Revokes A321 Order
Replies: 168
Views: 13775

Re: Qatar and Airbus Legal Dispute Continues - Airbus Revokes A321 Order

On the second point, QR placed a sizeable order for 75 copies of the A350, of which they’ve taken delivery of a little more than 50. The total order book for the A350, however, is approaching the 1000 mark. The QR order is not what has made the A350 successful, that is the basic qualities of the ai...

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Qatar and Airbus Legal Dispute Continues - Airbus Revokes A321 Order
Replies: 168
Views: 13775

Re: Qatar and Airbus Legal Dispute Continues - Airbus Revokes A321 Order

The Bloomberg article also mentions that Airbus agreed to compensate QR $175k/day for unscheduled groundings. Shortly after is when QCAA started grounding planes, Airbus alleging interference. The Bloomberg article is well written, however the magnitude of the compensation being sought by QR is hig...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:51 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022
Replies: 10
Views: 2695

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Don’t get me started…..

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:42 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

I find reference to the 787-10 on page 19 of the ANZ presentation in the 2027 column. Is this the uncommitted fleet plan in your view or do I misunderstand your point? Uncommitted, it’s outside the scope of current financials. NZ have said from the start they can swap between models. The only way I...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

Thanks for the correction and response Zeke. So in your opinion, what type of MTOW increase would an aircraft like the 787-10 require to gain 1,000 nm range? Others in the know are obviously also welcome to respond. Also to the house at large, why then is there a fixation around the 12,000lb? Ballp...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

My further question then follows if there's no recent evidence, even if indirect, of the 6T. The range boost referred to in the Leeham article of around 1,000 nm is significant. Similarly, the 787-9 was also stated to get huge range boost. Even combined with an engine PIP, is 6T likely to deliver 1...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

So the 787-10 is "far from a satisfactory replacement for the 77E? " According to who? The airlines involved will make that decision, and my guess is the opinions of various a net pundits will not weigh heavily in their decision making process. :) It would be useful to review jayuniteds p...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:22 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: RTO for impending fire
Replies: 57
Views: 2908

Re: RTO for impending fire

https://youtu.be/PS1YAX70edc
-->

IanfromRussia wrote:

But I bet it is not too far from the limits of an "average pilot".


A couple of “average” chaps doing what “average” chaps train for

https://youtu.be/PS1YAX70edc

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:15 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022
Replies: 10
Views: 2695

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Cathay is offering bonus payments to pilots as an incentive to get more planes in the air. https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/cathay-pacific-offers-5000-bonuses-to-pilots-to-keep-flying This is not a bonus. The salary is productivity based, with the closed loop rostering there is a period ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:01 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

The deliberate misinterpretation of what I said, even after I clarified further, is simply an attempt to change the subject and derail the thread. I certainly never used the phrase " retrofit " nor did I intend it. As I have since clarified it precisely, why the debate? An upgraded 787-10...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:21 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

But did Elroy say 787 or 787-9? He said 787-10 And I believe it was also pointed out that the 787 fleets that were mentioned some do not include the 787-10 so their intention were to include models like the 787-8 and 787-9. Unless you disagree and are now saying AA has the 787-10 in their fleet ? I...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:46 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

Opus99 wrote:
Yes but was it him that mentioned the 77W? He specifically mentioned the 787-10 which AA does not have so why will he be talking about retrofitting


On pages 4&5 of this thread the IGW of the 789 was discussed with the inclusion of charts from Fred.

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:17 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

Your assumption of retrofitting existing aircraft was not where I was going at all, nor has anyone in this thread suggested that but you, to my knowledge. I think everyone reading your previous comment “If the 6 ton MTOW bump occurs with the 787-10 along with some of the PIP's mentioned, it gives m...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:18 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: RTO for impending fire
Replies: 57
Views: 2908

Re: RTO for impending fire

IanfromRussia wrote:
But if You lost an engine earlier You have to travel more distance to V1 while the distance to stop is the same, so You're going to overrun.


No you commence the stop as soon as the engine failure is recognised, you don’t wait to accelerate to V1 to commence stopping.

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

As we have already seen, the narrowbody market is recovering much more quickly than the widebody market, except for perhaps the cargo side of the business. If the 6 ton MTOW bump occurs with the 787-10 along with some of the PIP's mentioned, it gives more options to various airlines. I am thinking ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:43 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: RTO for impending fire
Replies: 57
Views: 2908

Re: RTO for impending fire

Perhaps I oversimplified it, but what Your are saying isn't 100% correct either. If one of Your engines failed at 40kt and You have managed to reflect on it philosophically until You are beyond V1, that doesn't mean that the best course of action is to continue the take-off. If You passed V1 at 100...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:31 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Especially that Djokovic thought he could enter when he tried to. As far as I know he didn't do anything illegal and was transparent about his vaccination status. Read that letter from Tennis Australia to unvaccinated players Things he did not meet according to what was presented in court 1) no med...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Letter sent from Greg Hunt (Federal Health Minister) to Craig Tiley (Australian Open CEO) dated 29 Nov 2021. See paragraphs 4, 5 & 9. Looks like Novak would have been allowed in, if he had served the mandatory quarantine period. Again, this information is from 29 Nov 2021, so things may have ch...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:12 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: RTO for impending fire
Replies: 57
Views: 2908

Re: RTO for impending fire

STOP. I was taught, even as an aeronautical engineer, that one has to abort if the engine fails before V1 and to take off if it happens after V1. This is incorrect. V1 is the speed that first actions to commence a RTO has to be commenced. The actual engine failure would happen a few seconds earlier...

Jump to post
by zeke
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:38 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: DIY project !!! ... an ancient Cessna 16-17 years AOG
Replies: 17
Views: 1972

Re: DIY project !!! ... an ancient Cessna 16-17 years AOG

https://youtu.be/FfA93Q8ofb4
-->

N1120A wrote:

That AD ended after a year or less. I doubt this airplane sat because of it.


Part 2 of the video is now out, I was correct it was parked because of that AD

Source https://youtu.be/FfA93Q8ofb4

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:26 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: CNN reporting all flights from the United States to China have either been canceled or suspended
Replies: 52
Views: 9701

Re: CNN reporting all flights from the United States to China have either been canceled or suspended

It may well be nonsense to you, but the fact remains that China (and any other country) has the right to impose restrictions on flights as it sees fit to stop and/or restrict Covid. The US done it when they chose to, so why are other countries wrong in doing it? The restrictions vary by airport, th...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:11 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Who was telling him that would be acceptable? What other workaround had been discussed. From a total outsiders point of view it has the appearance of collusion by persons at the highest level in TA to bypass border entry requirements. I think correspondence with TA needs to be looked at, and the ti...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Having said that— everyone had egg on their face. The government shouldn’t have issued him a visa in the first place and made clear on all levels what the rules were. I don’t have a problem with the visa issue, and it was made clear what the requirements were back in oct/Nov when the visa was appli...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:01 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

A very expensive 10 days for him, having to cough up for 3 Silks, 3 juniors & the instructing solicitors..... He has to pay both sides and court costs He's booked on EK 409 leaving at 10.30pm. Was in one of the MEL international lounges under Federal Police guard. https://twitter.com/shanemcinn...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Federal Court hands down its ruling - Novak to be deported https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/australian-open/live-novak-djokovic-court-hearing-updates-result-of-visa-cancellation/news-story/5f941dd26abe1171e4a7f2e63644b05b The correct decision in my opinion From the article “The decision was una...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:33 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Asking out of ignorance of Australian precedent. The rule apparently is the Minister doesn’t need to have a good reason, only a reason, correct? He apparently has a lot of latitude in that regard. So the court will only be asked did the Minister have a reason. Their soundest argument will be Djokov...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:18 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: RTO for impending fire
Replies: 57
Views: 2908

Re: RTO for impending fire

Suppose the captain of a modern transport aircraft of, say, B737/A320 class, while rolling for take-off, some ten knots before V1, sees the fuel flow rate of one engine to increase dramatically. Logically, the most likely cause must be a leak downstream of the fuel flow metering device that is a fu...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

A lot of inconsistencies when it came to exemptions advice. How did the body come to the conclusion he could be exempt when it was back as far as 28/9/21 that the ATAGI was As of 9 September, the Australia Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation’s (ATAGI) guidelines state that while past COVID-19 ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:13 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

If I read correctly, he applied for the visa in November. Correct that is why I wrote “ How could he have “planned” on catching C19 in December in order to get the so called medical exemption when he applied for his visa in November.” Surly if he knew in November it was a requirement to enter Austr...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:59 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

A stint on manus island would probably do him the world of good and teach him some humility at the same time. Well if you cast your mind back to when Osaka missed some post game press conferences, he wasn’t exactly shy in telling people rule are rules for everyone. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10
Replies: 355
Views: 51916

Re: Boeing confirms higher gross weight 787-10

So I have been working on some additional Modelling for the last few weeks before Christmas and looking at CASM rather than just fuel burn as I would normally. Inevitably there will be more assumptions but I figured this would be a good opportunity to make some suitable comparisons. long story shor...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:45 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Who knows. But somebody, somewhere on that team needs to take the long view and tell him that the best thing for him and for tennis is to cut his losses and voluntarily leave. IMHO he's blinded by the moment, specifically the numbers 10 and 21. He probably suspects that he'll have a hard time getti...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

So by the sounds of things he will be placed in detention tomorrow morning at 8am. No more preparation for the AO.

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:19 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

BREAKING: Djokovic visa cancelled By Chris De Silva17:54 Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has made the massive call to cancel Novak Djokovic's visa for a second time in the space of weeks. BREAKING: Alex Hawke has cancelled Novak Djokovic’s visa. @9NewsAUS @2GB873 — Chris O'Keefe (@cokeefe9) January...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

[photoid][/photoid]Not sure if anyone has seen this, here is the transcript from border force https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/10/i-am-not-vaccinated-novak-djokovics-interview-with-australian-border-force No news yet, I have my doubts it’s going to happen been too ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:42 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

I have a non-Novak question. What happens during the championships if a player is identified as being infected with COVID-19 - is the player disqualified? I mean they can't turn up for the match if infected, can they? And if you don't turn up, you lose by default (I presume). What happens if severa...

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:41 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Oh Dear, Looks like Novax might be in trouble in Spain as well https://thewest.com.au/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-serbian-tennis-star-reportedly-probed-by-spain-after-entering-country-without-permission-c-5289512 Not exactly compelling case for his lawyers to work with going forward. There is also ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:40 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Kiwirob wrote:

I just wonder if him being deported from Australia will also effect his ability to enter other countries in the near future.


It’s that gift the keeps giving, “have you ever been denied or refused entry” on every application going forward.

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:52 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

Now that Novax has admitted he broke Serbian isolation rules and that a "human error" was made by his agent on his immigration form (neglecting to mention travel to Serbia and Spain) one wonders what will happen. If your average Joe had made these "mistakes" I doubt they'd still...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:30 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days
Replies: 184
Views: 29729

Re: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days

Don't the directives allow individuals to leave their homes for medical and other essential activities. I would have thought visiting a pharmacy for necessary medication would meet this requirement, and if so this is would appear to be nothing more than mud-slinging to support an agenda. After test...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:12 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days
Replies: 184
Views: 29729

Re: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days

A latest development of the CX crew (who should stayed home for 3 days) related spreading cases: https://hk.news.yahoo.com/%E5%9C%8B%E6%B3%B0%E6%9C%89%E9%9B%A3-%E5%AE%A2%E6%A9%9F%E5%8E%BB%E8%B2%A8%E6%A9%9F%E8%BF%94-%E5%8F%97%E6%9F%A5-%E8%AD%B0%E5%93%A1%E4%BF%83%E6%87%B2%E6%92%AD%E6%AF%92%E7%A9%BA%E...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:38 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

889091 wrote:
So why wasn't this evidence presented to the judge during the hearing? That was the whole reason for the hearing in the first place right?


The facts of the entry were not argued, just procedural fairness.

The fact he went to Spain was no r declared in the interview either.

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:54 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days
Replies: 184
Views: 29729

Re: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days

The crew were not required to stay home, however the government is now trying to deem such lack of requirement as Cathay violating guidelines, according to my understanding. I can guarantee you that every staff direction given to the crew complied with the government requirements and copies of the ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days
Replies: 184
Views: 29729

Re: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days

The directive is as follows: "For local-based crew who are entering the local community and who are not subject to to the requirement of self-isolation at a designated quarantine hotel, they must stay at their place of accommodation during the medical surveillance period until there is a negat...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:42 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days
Replies: 184
Views: 29729

Re: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days

No one is rejected to get admitsion to hospital because his family member is a pilot I am sorry, everything you are putting is incorrect. Eg “ Please be informed that we will not accept patients or visitors who: ……. have travelled outside of Hong Kong but did not fulfil the government quarantine re...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:34 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days
Replies: 184
Views: 29729

Re: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days

You are correct on the rule changes, you can takeoff and by the time you land all the forms submitted have to be redone to comply with new changes. As the number of passenger flights is low, cabin crew have been flying minimum rosters. They have not been isolated from their families as much for exte...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Australian Open 2022
Replies: 296
Views: 11710

Re: Australian Open 2022

New twist reported in the press.

Apparently there has been a failure to disclose all countries visited in the 14 days prior to arrival. There is an allegation he was in Spain during the 14 day period and this was not declared.

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:50 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days
Replies: 184
Views: 29729

Re: Cathay Pacific Suspends 747F and Cargo-Only Pax Flights for 7 Days

Please go search "望月樓群組" in Hong Kong news pages and you will find it is not a transmission through a family member, which lead to hundreds of people needed to be quarantine just because they were at the same place with those CX crews, who are supposed and required to stay at their home. ...

Jump to post