Search found 2959 matches

by jumbojet
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:06 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: What the heck is going on with American Airlines?
Replies: 196
Views: 33464

Re: What the heck is going on with American Airlines?

People have this gross misconception about hub placement. Where on earth is it said that hubs need to be geographically centered or balanced? ... actually, it is said right here. An article from last year and heavily discussed on Anet United Airlines Pays a High Price Because It Lacks a Southeast H...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 am
Forum: Travel, Polls & Preferences
Topic: Airline President thinks Parents Should Have to Pay More to Guarantee Sitting Together
Replies: 47
Views: 5096

Airline President thinks Parents Should Have to Pay More to Guarantee Sitting Together

Some pretty stark and mind blowing comments by UA's Kirby who doesn't seem to care that parents can wind up sitting apart from their children because of all the latest charges and fees to pay for just about everything; Kirby actually defends family separation on airplanes. He compares buying a ticke...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”
Replies: 154
Views: 15651

Re: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”

London and Paris will be the first cities to see B6 planes. Also, they have not made a decision yet on the type of plane yet but I am here to tell you it will be a twin aisle plane, obviously something in the A330 family of jets. My hunch tells me it will be the a330-800NEO. Whatever it is, I bet MI...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: DL opens new Rolls Royce engine shop
Replies: 33
Views: 4816

Re: DL opens new Rolls Royce engine shop

[I'm just trying to understand where the business will come from. I'm pretty sure DL understands where the business will come from. DL is not the only 350 and 330 operator in the world. Airlines will fly their planes to ATL for MRO work. Its really no big secret. The article specifically mentioned ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”
Replies: 154
Views: 15651

Re: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”

[I wish them luck. BA's J product is abysmal, and anything that might force them to up their game is welcome. But I don't see how they are going to make money out of it. well said. 32 J seats a day, if that, won't put a dent in Delta's and AA's $8,000 J seats to London, and if it does, than I will ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”
Replies: 154
Views: 15651

Re: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”

JetBlue also says it doesn't believe in MINT lounges because all its terminals are built with comfort in mind for ALL that fly JetBlue and that they are very expensive to operate. Without a decent lounge, JetBlue will have a hard time becoming anything more than a niche airline.

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”
Replies: 154
Views: 15651

Re: “Someday jetBlue will be in Europe”

JetBlue's profits rely heavily on MINT. No secret there. When the economy tanks and goes in the crapper, and it will (just a question of when) I hope B6 has a plan to sell those MINT seats at a profit. The kind of traveler B6 goes after for MINT will dry up in a very bad economy. B6 has been riding ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:17 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Why doesn't AF fly the A380 to HKG?
Replies: 15
Views: 2563

Re: Why doesn't AF fly the A380 to HKG?

continental004 wrote:
Not as many business ties between HKG and Paris, and zero colonial ties as with London.


How do you come to your conclusion? Can you support it with fact or is it just your unbiased opinion.

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:51 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon
Replies: 228
Views: 15262

Re: Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon

Based on what I've seen from DL, DL employees, and their culture, I'll bet the Powerball jackpot they don' unionize. No way in hell. I saw the "Grill and Chill" event they had at the flight museum in ATL and those people--ALL workgroups--would practically spill blood for DL. They're happy...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:14 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA124 Diverting to Gander?
Replies: 6
Views: 2671

Re: UA124 Diverting to Gander?

Unrelated but UA1 returned to SFO after taking on a pretty bad bird strike during take-off, It dumped fuel for nearly 90 minutes before returning to SFO. It ultimately cancelled. This was last night I believe. UA1 is SFO-SIN.

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:31 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV
Replies: 49
Views: 8596

Re: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV

Does everyone believe whatever they hear without first seeing something, anything, to back it up? No disrespect to Jay United, but I have learned to always take what people say with a gain of salt unless it can be backed up with verifiable facts. Maybe you can copy and paste some of the info you hav...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV
Replies: 49
Views: 8596

Re: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV

I can't speak for ALL Airport Customer Service Agents (like you did since you seem to be everywhere every time), but when I was one I made sure to explain what was wrong during Irregular Ops. The problem would be that there was always that ONE person who wouldn't believe anything said. A month ago ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV
Replies: 49
Views: 8596

Re: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV

You may have never actually worked Airport Customer Service? An agent could literally present a thesis worth of information as to why a flight is delayed and there will STILL be naysayers and Negative Normans/Nancys that will dismiss everything. Darned if they do, darned if they don't. wonder why t...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Confirmed: Delta to Start Service at ORH
Replies: 104
Views: 12650

Re: Delta to Start Service at ORH

willenglish wrote:
I would say one daily CR9 from DTW. Maybe ATL instead.


really? why not a 777 from EWR or maybe DFW?

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:11 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV
Replies: 49
Views: 8596

Re: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV

As a passenger can't we all see why this would be frustrating? Clearly there was a lack of good information as it took someone who clearly works for united to explain it in full detail to us. I am sure united didn't handle this as well as they could, and hopefully learned from the experience. You m...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:05 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV
Replies: 49
Views: 8596

Re: Long delay on UA84 EWR-TLV

As a passenger can't we all see why this would be frustrating? Clearly there was a lack of good information as it took someone who clearly works for united to explain it in full detail to us. I am sure united didn't handle this as well as they could, and hopefully learned from the experience. exact...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:45 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United to begin test of premium lie-flat seating on B737-Max10
Replies: 92
Views: 16178

Re: United to begin test of premium lie-flat seating on B737-Max10

Good for B6, but what about the other half of the J cabin? It can be done without turning it into an AA style first class. Look at the seat Korean is using on its 748's and its modded 773's in business class. I look for this innovative approach to be taken by either UA or DL when it comes out with ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United to begin test of premium lie-flat seating on B737-Max10
Replies: 92
Views: 16178

Re: United to begin test of premium lie-flat seating on B737-Max10

If UA was smart, and they are, they should go with a business class seat that offers all passengers in J direct aisle access. This would give them a huge advantage over B6, DL and AA. B6's mint product already does this for half of the J cabin. It wouldn't be profitable for them to go all direct ai...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:53 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT
Replies: 61
Views: 8069

Re: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT

So are there 3 dormant China authorities now? When will their be a route proceeding? sort of. AA is requesting to sit on theirs, not sure about HA but judging by the language used by the HA CEO, I would be very surprised if they didn't do the same. Where is the 3rd one coming from? How long until t...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:49 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United to begin test of premium lie-flat seating on B737-Max10
Replies: 92
Views: 16178

Re: United to begin test of premium lie-flat seating on B737-Max10

If UA was smart, and they are, they should go with a business class seat that offers all passengers in J direct aisle access. This would give them a huge advantage over B6, DL and AA.

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:33 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT
Replies: 61
Views: 8069

Re: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT

So are there 3 dormant China authorities now? When will their be a route proceeding? sort of. AA is requesting to sit on theirs, not sure about HA but judging by the language used by the HA CEO, I would be very surprised if they didn't do the same. Where is the 3rd one coming from? How long until t...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:16 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT
Replies: 61
Views: 8069

Re: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT

Between this and what AA has given up, my money is naturally on DL starting LAX-PEK. Do they have the aircraft for that?

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:56 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT
Replies: 61
Views: 8069

Re: Hawaiian will stop PEK service starting 11OCT

I wonder if they will appeal to DOT for a hold on the slot

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:28 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UPDATED: AA drops ORD-PEK/PVG, reduces NRT
Replies: 684
Views: 114891

Re: AA drops ORD-PEK

[You're kidding right? I understand that is the popular feeling from people who have never been to Chicago but it is so far from truth. 1) There are more construction cranes for residential highrises in downtown Chicago than in any other City in the US. 2) ... according to whom? This article says t...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:33 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment
Replies: 73
Views: 7221

Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Delta came out with a piece of news on Friday that sort of flew under the radar. However, the news is rather big and felt it deserved starting a thread, Where DL's direct competitors are busy hastily removing seatback entertainment, siting erroneous facts such as everyone brings their own device, De...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:15 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: New Rule for AA FA's deemed "cruel" and "disastrous"
Replies: 161
Views: 17100

Re: New Rule for AA FA's deemed "cruel" and "disastrous"

Lets say someone has a sick family member at home and needed to take some personal days to care for them. Now, within the same calendar year, they get legitimately sick but instead of calling in sick, they come in because they are afraid of being punished or fired. Now, that person who came in gets ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:44 am
Forum: Travel, Polls & Preferences
Topic: B6 Raising Bag/Change Fees
Replies: 44
Views: 3366

Re: B6 Raising Bag/Change Fees

usflyer msp wrote:
Where are you getting this info?
If this was going to take effect 8/27 they would have already announced it.
I am skeptical...


I did a searh and I cant find anything either. Nothing oin the JetBlue website to boot

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:37 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta Widebody Thread - 2018
Replies: 971
Views: 161354

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2018

The 359 has what, 32 suites whereas the refurbished 777 has 28? What do you tell 4 paying business class passengers when you cant accommodate them in business class on a 14 hour flight? I still dont get how DL only reconfigures the 777 with 28 business class seats. That, is dumb. I get it, Delta do...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:26 am
Forum: Travel, Polls & Preferences
Topic: B6 Raising Bag/Change Fees
Replies: 44
Views: 3366

Re: B6 Raising Bag/Change Fees

I believe the US3 charge $25 for a first checked domestic bag. I wonder if they will follow B6 and raise to $30

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:47 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta Widebody Thread - 2018
Replies: 971
Views: 161354

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2018

DL’s decision to spread out the A359 fleet with no operational spares is just while it’s still teething in the type is just dumb. N863DA (7HD) is the operational spare for the 359 during the busy summer schedule. It has the Delta Suites and new interior so as far as the customer is concerned, the s...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:12 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon
Replies: 228
Views: 15262

Re: Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon

I do not know about the internal politics at Delta, however, it seems to me that Delta management care much more about their frontline workers and they seem much happier than other carriers. If they unionize it could disrupt that semi-happy relation between the two working groups. BINGO BANGO. And ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon
Replies: 228
Views: 15262

Re: Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon

Personally, this will spell doom and gloom for the airline if the F/A's unionize. There is a reason why DL ranks higher than UA and AA when it comes to customer service facing issues. One, no union at Delta and two, a better, more efficient hiring and training process. If they unionize, DL will unf...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:29 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon
Replies: 228
Views: 15262

Delta F/A's & Fleet Workers Could Vote on Union Soon

so says the Machinists. According to a Forbes article, the International Association of Machinists scheduled an all-day demonstration at Delta's employee parking lot at the Atlanta airport. Today's demonstration was to include marches, speeches and handbill distribution as the union seeks to collect...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:28 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United Airlines Implements Use of iPads to Shorten maintenance Delays
Replies: 32
Views: 3095

Re: United Airlines Implements Use of I Pads to Shorten maintenance Delays

zeke wrote:
We have been using iPads for maintenance and cabin longs for a few years, we were not the first by a long way.



So then who was the first?

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:25 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United Airlines Implements Use of iPads to Shorten maintenance Delays
Replies: 32
Views: 3095

Re: United Airlines Implements Use of I Pads to Shorten maintenance Delays

At US we’ve had laptops since we got the Airbus’ in the late 90s. yeah but these are I-pads, which were not around in the 90s. The technology is totally night and day between the 90's and now. UA is using it in a way never used before. Did you watch the video? According to the video, the mechanic c...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:06 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United Airlines Implements Use of iPads to Shorten maintenance Delays
Replies: 32
Views: 3095

United Airlines Implements Use of iPads to Shorten maintenance Delays

Gotta give credit where its due. UA, according to the article, is the first airline to employ the use of I-pads to help troubleshoot maintenance issues even before the plane lands. Before, a plane with a basic mechanical issue would normally take a one to two hour delay, now routine mechanical probl...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United seeks to return to JFK
Replies: 223
Views: 34456

Re: United seeks to return to JFK

strfyr51 wrote:
[Lol

Delta Nor American could stop United were they to return to JFK. Whether it was a mistake to Leave? Is up for debate. But! Are they flying like Hell out of EWR?
You betcha! Could they make money in JFK? You betcha![/quote]

Prove it. Lets see you state facts that they will make money.

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:20 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it
Replies: 127
Views: 14420

Re: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it

DL is all about perception. If they can make people believe they are something they are not, it's a huge advantage in the marketplace.. What Bastian doesn't want to say to investors and the public is that their revenue premium is structural. They drive a revenue premium due to having market power i...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:08 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it
Replies: 127
Views: 14420

Re: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it

Here's average age of the some of the different DL subfleets: 757: 20.8 years 767: 20.9 years MD80: 25.7 years 717: 16.7 years A320: 22.8 years A319: 16.4 years That's 2/3 of DL's fleet by number of aircraft. I would argue their fleet age doesn't even matter if DL achieves class leading operational...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Has AA Slipped Behind UA to Become The Number 3 Airline?
Replies: 99
Views: 13493

Has AA Slipped Behind UA to Become The Number 3 Airline?

…A top analyst says it has. An article from Forbes suggests that AA has slipped behind UA to the last place spot amongst the US3. According to Forbes, Delta of course remains at the top. Forbes, a respected publication, makes its argument in this article. In the 1990s, the leading U.S. global airlin...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it
Replies: 127
Views: 14420

Re: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it

The same few will always chime in with their own facts..”antiques?” yeah your showing straight up ignorance right now. DLs planes are not antique and look much better on the inside than the other two. Add the better service, employee morale, profitability and record breaking profit sharing and you ...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it
Replies: 127
Views: 14420

Re: Delta CEO: We beat AA/UA because we have the revenue to sustain it

Pretty cocky of him to make bold statements. As anyone with a business sense knows, its all cyclical and what is strong today, won't be at some point. We are already seeing it as UA has passed AA and is creeping up on him. Looks like they have finally gotten over the "Jeff" fiasco and con...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:51 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Korean Air announces Boston
Replies: 83
Views: 13315

Re: Korean Air announces Boston

Finally, another good add by Korean air. Im glad connections will be taken away from Dtw as the northeast and beyond have a better place to connect in bos. connections will be taken away from OW and *A. As a whole, DL won't lose anything but gain passengers. Detroit only has one daily 350 to ICN. W...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:11 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Korean Air announces Boston
Replies: 83
Views: 13315

Re: Korean Air announces Boston

I called it. The DTW folks kept saying KE would go into DTW rather than DL adding MSP and KE adding BOS. Yet here we are. It's rather good to see some connecting traffic taken away from DTW. Solid add for KE and I'm positive it'll go daily in short order. I'm not sure either flight takes anything a...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:08 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Korean Air announces Boston
Replies: 83
Views: 13315

Re: Korean Air announces Boston

A route I had suggested in the JV a while back. Makes perfect sense for Northeast transfer passengers without using ATL or JFK. I also wonder if this might end up seeing one of the A388 frequencies at JFK go down to a B748 or a B77W. you have it half right. Makes for more choices for people that do...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:43 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Why is United still operating 757's on transatlantic routes?
Replies: 152
Views: 30312

Re: United 757s

UA at any given time has both 777-200ERs and 767-300s out of service for Polaris cabin updates. This has caused shortage in the 777-200ER fleet, which is why there are the A models flying EWR-MAD, BCN etc..,. Need clarification. I just looked up EWR-MAD and is the UA seat map accurate? 2-4-2 in bus...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:39 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Why is United still operating 757's on transatlantic routes?
Replies: 152
Views: 30312

Re: United 757s

Surely they have enough 767s Actually, no they don't. They're currently taking several of Hawaiian's 767s as they come off of lease. Also, United recently asked Boeing about the possibility of acquiring some new-build 767s in search of some intermediate lift. Although this didn't pan out, it unders...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:29 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Motley Fool: American Airlines profit plunging after Q2 results
Replies: 115
Views: 18079

Re: AA on death's door per Motley Fool...

AA's worst nightmare will be realized if fuel prices continue to go up. Whats AA's worst nightmare you say? Well, according to the CEO, "We will never lose money again".

Their debt is the highest in the industry. Why do you think they deferred all those A321's until 2024?

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Georgia governor suspends fuel tax to avoid penalizing Delta at Atlanta hub
Replies: 52
Views: 7418

Re: Georgia governor suspends fuel tax to avoid penalizing Delta at Atlanta hub

Pure politics based on the results of last week's gubernatorial primary runoff election. thats how the world spins, just like it was pure politics when Cagle put the tax in place. Good for Delta. Amazing political spin by you. On the one hand you were out there defending Delta for fighting ME3 subs...

Jump to post
by jumbojet
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:46 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Diversions from EWR to LAX on 7/30
Replies: 28
Views: 5570

Re: UA Diversions from EWR to LAX on 7/30

The crew waiving their time and continuing the flight to help the remaining pax won't make the news, unfortunately. Right? But you know how some posters on here feel that all of UA employees are horrid. Oh and may I add that fact that on a IAD-DUB flight yesterday, the UA captain took a 20 minute d...

Jump to post