Search found 16535 matches

by Aaron747
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:34 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

A lot depends on individual financial and life situation. My brother’s no dummy and his finance officer proved moving would save big dollars. Location within the state too. Big AC/utility bills in FAT or SMF - high summer heat and freezing overnight temps in winter. Almost never the case in SBA or ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:06 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

The ethos (and thus selling point) of California for years was to move out of the cold cities in the Northeast and Midwest and have your own yard and swimming pool (in water deprived desert Southern California...), and zoning laws in many places reflect that, particularly in SoCal suburbs. The resi...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:32 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Hey, another mass school shooting.
Replies: 154
Views: 4745

Re: Hey, another mass school shooting.

B717fan wrote:
The attorneys for the parents are claiming that they didn't flee and that they're returning to turn themselves in soon.


Returning from....shopping? Ridiculous

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:04 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

You are acting like there isn't a difference between vaccines and masks. I am not anti-vax, I support it. But I do see the rightful concern of putting a really new substance into your body with out long term studies into its long term effects. Masks are a little different. They are temporary and yo...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:55 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Hey, another mass school shooting.
Replies: 154
Views: 4745

Re: Hey, another mass school shooting.

Instead of the usual ‘we couldn’t see this coming, he was our sweet boy’ these parents were like ‘we’re glad he was man enough to put idea to action’. :boggled: Sick as all hell - and a great reminder that license to breed would solve many social ills.

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

Emergency powers are should be short and temporary in nature. I also don't think Congress intended the National Emergencies Act to empower the POTUS to mandate a shot or lose personal liberties. Arguably the economic and healthcare emergency are abated when travel disruptions have ended and hospita...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:38 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

In other countries many of these houses would have been replaced by condos... Gigantic suburbs don't make sense. The ethos (and thus selling point) of California for years was to move out of the cold cities in the Northeast and Midwest and have your own yard and swimming pool (in water deprived des...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:37 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

We are in this mess because a new virus was unleashed on the world, not because someone didnt wear a mask. And I disagree with all of those mandates. If a private company wants to set a condition on me using their service. then its my choice to comply and use the service or not. I'm totally cool wi...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:24 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Hey, another mass school shooting.
Replies: 154
Views: 4745

Re: Hey, another mass school shooting.

Best boomer take I have seen on school shootings:

“When I was a kid, American kids did drills in school in case Russians wanted to kill them...

...now kids are doing drills in school in case other Americans try to kill them.”

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:16 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

Aesma wrote:
In other countries many of these houses would have been replaced by condos... Gigantic suburbs don't make sense.


Thay make even less sense in metro areas hemmed in by 2000 meter mountains.

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:12 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

Yes, that’s how the FBI does it in their databases - by city limits. You’re inventing a new rubric for analysis that doesn’t exist in law enforcement. You’re hunting for nearby places that confirm your bias because SF city doesn’t have a high enough violent crime rate :rotfl: I would flunk you righ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

Yes, that’s how the FBI does it in their databases - by city limits. You’re inventing a new rubric for analysis that doesn’t exist in law enforcement. You’re hunting for nearby places that confirm your bias because SF city doesn’t have a high enough violent crime rate :rotfl: I would flunk you righ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:08 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

Have you been to San Francisco or LA lately? As in the last year? Based off of your site, which is quite comical, it looks like they're using city limits and not metropolitan areas, which does skew things. After playing around on it with a few cities I know have high violent crime rates, it seems m...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:06 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

That is an interesting list for other reasons, just from the top ten. 1. Detroit, MI Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.5 Your chance of being a victim: 1 in 51 2. St. Louis, MO Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.2 Chance of being a victim: 1 in 51 3. Memphis, TN Violent Crime R...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:02 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

Probably large cities in "solidly Republican" states like Austin or Miami. Although I don't think their rates are that bad compared to DC, Baltimore, Chicago, San Francisco or LA. Your list makes absolutely no sense factually - SF and LA are not even ranked in the top 100 cities for viole...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:55 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

Your list makes absolutely no sense factually - SF and LA are not even ranked in the top 100 cities for violent crime rate. https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous/amp That is an interesting list for other reasons, just from the top ten. 1. Detroit, MI Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 r...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:53 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

What is social solidarity? From the standard here, I would assume "doing what the government tells you to do." Honestly, its a troubling standard for any free society, and should we extend it, might have some implications that should trouble us all. I don't disagree! The Government, at le...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:46 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

\ I subscribe to a subreddit called r/dataisbeautiful. It’s a collection of maps and general data concerning all types of topics. A recent post dealt with crime in America and many cities in the top 20 most dangerous places are solidly Republican. Compare that to NYC and Los Angeles which are now c...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:32 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

I seem to remember a similar situation in the 1930s and 1940s in Germany. Our German friend Tommy already called out the absurdity of that equivocation upthread - I suggest reading it to avoid further embarassment. What I said is a perfect analogy, and not a false equivocation as you allude to. It ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:28 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

We’re talking about Arizona, where it happened, not ‘several states’. You can twist and turn all you want, your take is still wrong on the known facts. The emotional invective added only makes it even less credible. At least one fact was that after deceased took the item, loss prevention at the sto...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:25 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

Putting a substance in your body is most certainly a permanent life decision. The argument is also that the mothers decision affects her life, AND the life of her fetus (not that we need to rehash that here). Where is the proof that mRNA doesn't cause any long term damage? It doesn't exist that I k...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:19 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

If you are not vaccinated in Germany, are you supposed to wear a badge (along with a mask) if have to go out for food or take a walk to keep up your health if not infected. We know the history of that of 80+ years ago in that country and many don't like that despite the huge difference of saving li...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:17 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

Not completely wrong! This perpetrator committed armed robbery, brandished a deadly weapon, and fled from a cop. Never once did I say shoplifting was a felony, so get your facts straight and stop making shit up! In most other states brandishing a deadly weapon is a felony. However, fleeing is also ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:13 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems
Replies: 22
Views: 773

Re: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems

He was healthy, and had no physical issues until after he got the jab due to a work requirement. I know of at least 2 other similar instances that just so happened to have happened within 2 weeks of getting the jab. Coincidence? I don't think so, but I do know correlation does not equal causation. ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:06 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

I did, so lets recap: The perpetrator was armed, just committed an armed robbery, and was fleeing. That's at least two felonies right there! Completely wrong. Shoplifting value under $1K is a misdemeanor in AZ: https://tobinlawoffice.com/arizona-shoplifting-law/ Brandishing a weapon in AZ is only a...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:03 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems
Replies: 22
Views: 773

Re: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems

I had a former coworker who was healthy, got the jab and had a heart attack within two weeks. There is no reason to believe this is vaccine-related. Your coworker was not ‘healthy’ if they had a major coronary event - which can be caused by any number of conditions. He was healthy, and had no physi...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:30 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

Easy: reproductive decisions are permanent life decisions, not health decisions. The mother's decision affects her life - vaccines affect everyone, the healthcare system at large, and the economy. As to long-term effects, that is a canard. mRNA material is in the body a few days at most and does no...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

Nope, your opinion, not logic. Logic, def: a proper or reasonable way of thinking about or understanding something https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/logic It is reasonable and proper to establish that public health practitioners and experts know best how to protect medical system capacity ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:05 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

In your opinion. No, based on simple logic. BTW, I am by no means anti-vax, I support the Rona vax. I think the Rona vaccines are mostly safe, but I still have some concerns about the long term effects. That is mostly from a new type of vaccine that is being rolled out in record time with out long ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:50 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

In your opinion. No, based on simple logic. Nope, your opinion, not logic. Logic, def: a proper or reasonable way of thinking about or understanding something https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/logic It is reasonable and proper to establish that public health practitioners and experts know ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:39 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

Like I said, if the market will pay it, then so be it. That still doesn't change my mind, or as I suspect many others, about the price being "fine", I didn't say it was fine, but regarding homeowners it is understandable if they feel that way. Obviously both the price increases and lack o...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

It varies state to state, but in all but three states there are nonmedical exemptions for religious or philosophical reasons. Per the CDC.


Yes, that too. The emotional opposition is totally unfounded.


In your opinion.


No, based on simple logic.

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:36 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

I get that Southern CA has awesome weather and are really nice places (particularly San Diego), but I don't equate having the highest average home price to being undervalued. I get that it is nuanced and varies per neighborhood, but I wouldn't ever say the housing values are fine. If the market is ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

This statement makes no sense - similar opinions have not caught like wildfire in reference to needing proof of Tb clearance or measles vaccination to enroll in university or elementary school. There is no 'wow' here - equating public health measures with rollback of individual liberties is tantamo...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:24 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

You think the housing values in CA are fine? That's interesting. Given how little housing has been built in Orange and LA counties since the 1990s, a lot of owners there feel the market is pretty undervalued. I get that Southern CA has awesome weather and are really nice places (particularly San Di...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:07 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

I wonder how many of those people regret their decision to move to TX or AZ? We have thought about moving to Nevada but, one decision not to, was publicly funded departments like transit and health care. If you separate retirees, that percentage is right around 100. Cheap states are cheap states fo...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:17 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

Is having a state that will be emptied out of working class, and average middle class folks and left just with posh-college techies, one-percenters, Hollywood and Pro-sport millionaires, and a large subsidy dependent underclass (I include California farmers here), really positive? Nobody in the sta...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:15 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

That is absolutely and totally NOT what the Founding Fathers, or any of the 18th and 19th Century Enlightment ever would have envisioned. This idea of "me me me" is a recent phenomenon. People in the early 20th century would not bat an eyelash at the government telling them to vote, or to...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:14 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

The German government has come to the conclusion they have no choice but to restrict activities of the unvaccinated and possibly mandate compulsory jabs if parliament decides it's prudent. Only those who have been vaccinated or recently recovered from Covid will be allowed in restaurants, cinemas, ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:12 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: DL201 diverts to SJU
Replies: 81
Views: 6854

Re: DL201 diverts to SJU

F27500 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
The plane can’t take full fuel, passengers and cargo due to its limitations.


So .. scheduling the wrong plane for the mission, then?


Nah, it's called winter. The headwinds are mighty strong.

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus
Replies: 49
Views: 1504

Re: NYT: The Myth of California Exodus

L410Turbolet wrote:
What's the big deal about living in CA (unless one lives on the coast)?


For people who love the outdoors, it has all on offer the Pacific Northwest does (and more), just with far less rain. And probably the best state overall for any GA pilot who tires of flat boredom.

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:18 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Re: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

Good. It's either that or turn them away from the hospitals. The former is the more ethical way to go about it while ensuring that their selfishness and lack of social solidarity doesn't weigh on society as a whole too much. Wow. I tell you what, I don’t much subscribe to the whole Chinese lab-leak...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:52 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems
Replies: 22
Views: 773

Re: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems

Controlled trials are the way to demonstrate this. In pop culture, there are a lot false rumors that imply causation (I was in the military in 1982, then my liver had a problem in 2019.). Yeah, and 37 years more age on your body may also be a factor. Data indicate the problem is more common among y...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Dr. Oz PA Senate Run
Replies: 6
Views: 365

Re: Dr. Oz PA Senate Run

There are also questions of legality in his registration - as he registered to vote in PA last year using an in-law's address. His residence is NJ.

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:02 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Hey, another mass school shooting.
Replies: 154
Views: 4745

Re: Hey, another mass school shooting.

Isn't the underlying reasoning here a little bit circular? We have more guns than people, because we need to protect ourselves from the bad guys who have guns, because we have more guns than people. I'd be happy to get rid of my guns the second every single criminal is disarmed. That's never going ...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:57 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Hey, another mass school shooting.
Replies: 154
Views: 4745

Re: Hey, another mass school shooting.

Are there any reasons why the US is the only country in the developed world where anyone has a real sense that they need to own a gun for protection? More guns here than people, for starters. Bad guys already have guns and always will. Police are minutes away when you need them on a good day. Are t...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:37 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens
Replies: 85
Views: 1994

Germany Moves to Restrict Unvaccinated Citizens

The German government has come to the conclusion they have no choice but to restrict activities of the unvaccinated and possibly mandate compulsory jabs if parliament decides it's prudent. Only those who have been vaccinated or recently recovered from Covid will be allowed in restaurants, cinemas, l...

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:33 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems
Replies: 22
Views: 773

Re: Covid Vaccine and Virus - Heart problems

ItnStln wrote:
I had a former coworker who was healthy, got the jab and had a heart attack within two weeks.


There is no reason to believe this is vaccine-related. Your coworker was not ‘healthy’ if they had a major coronary event - which can be caused by any number of conditions.

Jump to post
by Aaron747
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:04 am
Forum: Non-Aviation
Topic: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect
Replies: 77
Views: 1914

Re: Tucson Cop Fired for Killing Shoplifting Suspect

Yes, the knife does matter. It's called armed robbery so the cop was justified in shooting the perpetrator. He was fired to appease the PC crowd. Hopefully he sues and gets reinstated. You never watched the video did you? I did, so lets recap: The perpetrator was armed, just committed an armed robb...

Jump to post