Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TomH
Topic Author

Monitoring With Scanner Radio

Sun May 06, 2001 9:37 am

Any of you people into monitoring military traffic with scanner radios? I don't live near a military airbase, but I am directly under an air refuelling track (AR631) which I monitor on 295.8 MHZ AM.

About 75 miles north of my location is the large "Yankee MOA" combat training area, and I can hear UHF comms from there, often F-16s and A-10s. Often these activities are controlled or monitored by AWACS, which can also be heard on a scanner.

People who often see A-10s may be surprised to know that they can often be heard using "interplane" comms in the VHF low band on frequencies from 30-70MHZ FM.

New technology has changed military aviation a great deal, but it is still common practice at least here in the USA to hear voice communication in the clear.

If you live near a miltary airbase, chances are 30-40 frequencies are used by that installation on a daily basis. Fortunately, the easiest to learn about are the tower, approach and departure frequencies. Give them a listen, it will broaden your experience as a military aviation enthusiast.
TomH

GOT

RE: Monitoring With Scanner Radio

Sun May 06, 2001 10:28 pm

I'd love to try, but my scanner only takes the civil aviation band  Sad.

GOT

N400QX

Mon May 07, 2001 12:45 pm

I'm in the same boat, GOT... none of my three receivers pick up military UHF, just civil VHF.

Maybe later this year I'll pick up a new radio (just what I need... another radio- lol).

cicadajet

Mon May 07, 2001 12:47 pm

I generally only scan civil aviation (but also get alot of marine activity). Rarely get to hear military in my neck of the woods, but a relative of mine who is a real scanner enthusiast/nut who lives in another state tells me that only once did he get to hear some mil refueling chatter. Some plane was "thirsty" and then it was "come to me baby" and alot of sexual inuendo from there.  Smile have no idea if *that* sort of talk is common or not. anyone know?

TomH
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2001 9:30 pm

To monitor military radio traffic you need a scanner with UHF AM capability. You also want to avoid getting one that has the frequencies devided into discrete bands, as you want more complete coverage than that. Of course military traffic will often talk to center on the well known VHF AM freqs, but the interesting voice transmissions will be on UHF AM.

There are dozens of air refuelling routes in the US, and these are used on a daily basis. At times such as at the present, by far the greatest use occurs during daylight hours, but of course there are exceptions. Infrequently you will hear unprofessional remarks such as Cicadajet mentioned.

TomH