Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanAmerican
Topic Author

Can You Believe This Picture?

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:44 am

Hi,
I just can't believe this picture... How the hell did that happen?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martin

Strange thing is that I have seen the pic long time ago on a comedy site where they even show the VW Transporter from the front:

Tell me what you think about this. Did it really happen? Anyone know anthing about this?

Smile/happy/getting dizzyPA
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

2912n

RE: Can You Believe This Picture?

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:42 am

I would venture a guess that it really did happen. Perhaps an email to the photographer who just might be able to provide more details, as obviously he was there.  Smile

I would bet someone got hung out to dry for this little error!

PanAmerican
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:32 am

Hey,
I just contacted the photographer, let's wait and see what he knows about this. Good idea, 2912n  Smile
Of course it really happened, that seems to be obvious. I'm not suspecting the pics are fake. However, my question was actually more whether it was just set up, say for a movie or something, or if it was a tragic incident. In any case, it'd be interested to know about the cause of this.
To me it looks more like the van was moving (because of the glass under the wing) and then hit the plane, maybe it was dark and they were driving without lights? What surprises me is that the roof got stuck on the wing. They must have been driving really fast then... Or was the plane moving and the van was just parked on the taxiway?

Smile/happy/getting dizzyPA

[Edited 2003-11-17 23:37:47]
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

c17loadmstr

Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:08 am

I believe it. I've been to so many places where the locals just drive under the wings or engines for that matter. It's freaky to see someone do it only b/c you've been taught for your entire Air Force life not to do it. Fortunately we've never had anyone hit a plane (C-17).

There are 3 types of people. Those who can count, and those who can't.

lyzzard

Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:45 am

Might've happened in the night when aircraft was parked on the taxiway. Sleepy driver of the VW transporter must have driven right through not noticing the airplane. A few more feet to the left and he would have drive right through the drop tank.

covert

Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:21 pm

All kinds of shit happens on the flightline, picture looks perfectly plausible, most of the time people screw up by taking "wise" shortcuts to get the work done fast....

covert
none

L-188

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:08 pm

I have no reason not to doubt it.

Anybody remember that photo of the Air Force MP cruiser under that F-15!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Soren-a

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:40 pm

Yeah the MP cruiser under the F-15 was kinda funny - never use your cell phone when driving Big grin

regards
Søren Augustesen

skymaster

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:59 pm

I remember a similar incident at Karup (EKKA) when a wise guy shortcutted through the 725 (F-35 Draken) squadron area on a dark winter morning. The car involved was also a VW micro-bus. The driver also hit the wingtip with a similar result as the Tornado-hit. Luckily the driver kept his head attached to his body, although he suffered severe head injuries.

broke

Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:37 pm

This sort of gives a new meaning to the term "Raising the Roof" doesn't it?

skymaster

Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:40 pm

In addition to the Karup incident, I can inform you that the F-35 Draken hardly got a scratch!

Staffan

Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:36 am

"In addition to the Karup incident, I can inform you that the F-35 Draken hardly got a scratch!"

Ahh, swedish quality!  Big grin

Staffan

LMP737

Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:14 am

Here are some other interesting aircraft-vehicle encounters.

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/media/gallery/photos/mech/categories/VehicleAircraftMishaps.htm

Never take financial advice from co-workers.

FredT

Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:17 am

Recommended procedure when a J35 tipped over onto its wingtip while taxiing(not uncommon on icy runways): Get a few mechanics together to stand on the raised wingtip and jump. Fly away. Big grin

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

WrenchBender

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:57 am

A similar thing happened in the late eighties at CFB Baden Soellingen in Germany. A young tech was killed when he tried driving an a/c tug around a CF18 being towed down a taxi way at night, it was an exercise so no lights being used etc.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

MD11Engineer

Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:55 am

There was abad accident at SXF during the old Interflug days. A mechanic was driving down the apron on one of those electric trolleys, the ones whereyou stand on a platform in front and have two levers, left and right, one for the speed and one for steering. Comming from the rear, he missed the wing tip of a Tu-134 (theyare quite low above the ground) and a static discharger went right through his eye into his brain.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

IMissPiedmont

Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:57 am

How did it happen? The driver of the VW thought he had room to make it. Truth, not speculation. Now guess the speed he was driving.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Georg

Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:16 pm

Arghh, those type of men are driving me crazy Big grin They can get much better looking cabriolet when they spend some time in service. But if they are in hurry to beach with nice girls waiting and he wants to go with a cabriolet to pick them up, then... okay... not a very clever way out, but he got a cabriolet and thats a success indeed  Smile.

No idea about the speed, you have to ask from these professionals themselves.
NO URLS in signature

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:06 pm

The picture is NO fake but it happened in Schleswig and I'm wondering. At least the person who did this shot should know that...

Contact_tower

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:10 am

The RoNoAF managed to tread a Toyota Hiace onto a weapons pylon on an F-16 at Bodø last month. The F-16 was beeing towed, and it was dark, but still.....