Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Refueler1974
Topic Author

Moon Landing 35th Anniversary

Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:58 am

Well, today is the 35th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's 1st step on the moon! Who would have thought 35 years ago that today we would have an orbiting space station and a deep space telescope capable of seeing deep into the cosmos...Not to mention a probe on Mars?? I think we have come a good ways since that day 35 years ago, but that progress has not come without a price, or without it's setbacks.

My question is this: What is your opinion of our progress in space since then? Do you think we could have done better, or are we right where we should be at?

Also, one other question: Do you think we should resume moon exploration again someday?

Thanks for your opinions!!
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

garnetpalmetto

RE: Moon Landing 35th Anniversary

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:29 am

I think we could have done a LOT better. After the Apollo missions we pretty much regressed. Rather than push out new boundaries, we stayed within Earth's orbit. Skylab was a decent idea and on paper the Space Shuttle was a decent idea. An orbiting laboratory is undoubtedly good and something to haul and maintain satellites was also good, but since then, what have we accomplished? The Space Shuttle program has returned great benefits, but it's deglamorized space. In my mind, we do need to return to the moon as a dress rehearsal for other things - a Mars mission, especially.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

JMV

Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:16 am

I remember watching that "one small step for man..." on a flickering black and white TV. Wow, it is hard to believe it has been 35 years already!

I remember how this country was intently focused on Apollo. I remember the NASA animations of what the command module and lunar module were doing in space while orbiting the moon, and how by today's computer generated animation standards they were comical.

At that young age I dreamt about the incredible possibilities of our space program, rather than deal with the harsh realities of the Vietnam War. In school we drew pictures of giant wheel-shaped space stations orbiting the earth, and huge domed moon colonies.

The moon landing was a wonderful achievement for all mankind. What a disappointment, in spite of limited successes of Skylab, MIR, and the ISS, we haven't done more.
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

hemispheres

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:56 am

If you use as a gauge the progress of space exploration from 35 years prior to the first moon landing, 1934 - 1969, the advancement is astounding, obviously. Compare that to the 35 years following, 1969-2004 in terms of progress and I think that we could/should have done so much more. I guess that's if the growth of technology is constant... Well, so much for my opinion.
"I have to put in my two cents, but I only get a penny for my thoughts. - Someone is making money"

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:36 am

If we compare the 1960s and last decade or so, the resulting picture is disappointing. 60's brought groundbreaking projects in aviation such as Apollo, 747, Concorde, SR-71...
And today? Concorde is a museum attraction, A380 brings nothing new in terms of revolution in air travel the way 747 did, space shuttle is grounded with no certain future.

Pronto

Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:36 pm

Don't forget, one of the main reasons the moon missions were done was due to the Cold War - I've heard somewhere that it cost about one million dollars a minute(1969 dollars!) during each mission - that's alot of greenbacks - and don't forget the U.S. was in Vietnam at the time as well. Ultimately it was a race to beat "the Soviets" to the moon; it was done and it couldn't continue...of course there are still people who think they never did make it to the moon...

ba97

Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:56 am

The 1960s- the last decade we "dared to dream and make it happen".

I remember Von Braun saying- as a concept, getting to the moon was easy and could have been done at anytime. You just build a big enough rocket-point it and go. Apollo 4 (first time the whole set up was lit) proved the lift off part (although VonBraun was quietly worried it would explode and vapourize everybody. The trick they were really reaching on was getting off the moon and getting back.

Since that time, we are just extending or modifying what we started. Live in Space, Travel to Mars, instead of sitting on a disposable gas can-having a reusable can....

Cheers to all those who used slide rulers, primitive computers, graph paper and gut instinct and made it happen.

there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class