Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Military Meteorology Question

Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:42 am

My son want's to be a meteorologist and is not sure he wants to go to college right now. Do any of the branches of the military offer meteorology training to enlisted personell or is it something where you have to got to college for it and then get your commission as an officer.
Thanks in advance.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

f4wso

RE: Military Meteorology Question

Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:47 am

The U.S. Air Force has enlisted weather observers and forecasters. I think it is the same with the Navy. Most of the briefers I remember from both services were enlisted.

Navy weather products always seemed more detailed than USAF. My guess is they have to forecast a lot more oceanic weather where there aren't any observation stations.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

dl757md
Topic Author

Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:24 am

Thanks for the quick reply F4wso. I will have him go to the recruiter's office to enquire further.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

Woodreau

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:52 pm

The Marine Corps (I would guess Army also) has meteorologists as well...

It is kind of funny to see them get out of ther camouflaged 2.5 ton in the forest, set up and watch them inflate and launch a huge orange balloon. We just have to laugh... it's those combat weather guessers out there again... giving away our position...

The Navy does have a restricted line officer community (Oceanographer / 180x) to go with the enlisted Aerographer's Mate community. However Naval Academy/ROTC graduates are not eligible to select Oceanographer as an option at commission/graduation. Most of the 1800 community accessions are thru lateral conversion from aviation/surface line officers (meaning you finish initial accession training first, then apply to go into the oceanographer community), or through direct commission (e.g. you paid for college and now you want to work for the Navy)

I would imagine the Air Force would have an officer community that would be similar...

The Navy's enlisted AG's are primarily shore based at meteorology centers and naval air stations at various locations throughout the world, for typhoon tracking and avoidance for the fleet and aviation weather. But you can find AG's on aircraft carriers and amphibious assault ships (the "helicopter" carriers).

The Marine Corps weather personnel are assigned to the artillery regiment who provide weather products for ballistic computations.

[Edited 2004-11-09 07:54:03]
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

echster

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:35 pm

The Army does not have weather folks except for field artillery units, and you DON't want to do that. The weather they get for aviation is done by the USAF. That's USAF personnel who live and sleep with the Army in the field, although they may never be assigned to an Army unit. Just my guess, having worked with them in the past, is the USAF Special Ops weather folks (Combat Weather). That's high-speed, gung-ho stuff....jumping out of planes, SCUBA, etc.

KROC

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:45 pm

I was a weather observer/technician in the Air Force. I supported Air Force operations as well as Army assignments as well. The Marines and Navy also have weather personel but the Air Force Training is the most indept of the services. Depending on what your son wants to get into both in the military and once outside would depend on what branch he should go for. Being a little biased, I would have to say the Air Force offers the best opprotunities.

Lurch

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:13 am

Hi its Just a thought have a look at this site if the link works.
Its for the USAF Weather Service!

http://www.usaf.com/orgs/20.htm

CVGpilot

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:33 am

Being active duty enlisted AirForce, I would tell your son to go AF no doubt, I have some WX friends, and they all seem to enjoy, the Tech School is pretty tuff I hear, but if it something he wants to do he will do well, and as long as he meets the med' standards for the AF and that career field, he should be good to go. I'm not sure what the WX med' standards are, "KROC" should know, im sure they haven't changed much.