Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

futureualpilot
Topic Author

Super Hornet Mishap

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:00 am

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=16837

Good to know everybody will be ok. Wonder what happened?

SuperHornet

RE: Super Hornet Mishap

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:07 pm

Does anyone have any follow up information on this mishap?

SuperHornet

Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:36 pm

I have just been told by a 2nd party source that that a wire broke upon catching a VFA-102 F/A-18 Super Hornet (F) injuring some crew?
Any VFA-102 guys out there that can confirm this?

ftrguy

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:29 pm

F/A-18F caught the 3 wire and it snapped. The jet went into the drink and 6 (don't quote me on that number) sailors on the flight deck were injured. One of them lost part of a leg. An SH-60 was also damaged slightly. Both aircrew are fine. The pilot is actually a friend of mine that I knew from flight school.

LMP737

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:32 am

Ftrguy:

When I worked on the flight deck I stayed clear of the wires. Always tried to stay where I belonged, up on the cats. Unfortunately for some their job means being by the wires.

Ozair

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:37 am

I didn't realize that they could break so easily, how often a year does this occur? What are they made of? Surely there is some sort of carbon fiber etc that could be used and be classed as near unbreakable.

gocaps16

Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:35 am

Ozair, the wires do break ocassionally..imagine using the wires to catch hundreds of aircrafts in a day...luckily, during my deployment, the flight deck crew performs maintenaince work on the wires once every two weeks to prevent it from getting weak and possibly replace it. Once you sign that contract, your life could be in harm and on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, it's life or death situation everyday.

Kevin

L-188

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:23 am

Ozair...just steel cable.

And when they snap it is just like a whip. If somebody is in the way, it is just like passing a wire cheese slicer through brie.

I never have been on a carrier, but I have seen mooring lines snap, and you don't want to be near those either.

It is pretty impressing watching a 4 inch dock like decide to fail.

LMP737

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 am

If memory serves me correctly the aviation boastwains replace the center portion (the part of the wire the tailhook comes in contact with) every hundred traps. However if there was a flaw during manufacture it could fail before then as we saw with this incident.

Ozair:

Carbon fibers would probably not stand the abuse of carrier ops. That's why steel is used.

ftrguy

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:07 pm

LMP737

You are correct. The CDP's (Cross deck pennants) as they're called are replaced every 100 traps and are inspected visually after every trap.

I don't know for sure, but there at least 1 inch steel cables. They're actually many little steel cables all bound into one large one. They also cake on the grease to help with the wear and tear.

There was a similar accident last year on the George Washington involving an F/A-18D. The wire snapped, but it was attributed to faulty maintenance on the ship, not the actual wire itself.

SuperHornet

Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:15 pm

Click Here USS Kitty Hawk sailors recount rescue after F/A-18 night landing accident

SuperHornet

Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:16 pm

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=26917

DeltaGuy

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:19 am

I was just about to mention that other incident on the GW...that was with VFA-106, and he also ejected.

I have a few 1' pieces of CDP's in my garage, the very end of each CDP is basically a big bolt, which screws into the wires which head below deck to the massive hydraulic arresting gear....even though they're replaced every 100, accidents do happen, and when they do, it's like a hot knife through butter.

DeltaGuy

SATL382G

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:35 am

AAR90

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:37 am

I didn't realize that they could break so easily, how often a year does this occur?

Cross Deck Pendants don't break very often. In fact, it is rather rare. During my 8+ years in Naval Aviation Safety (1980's) there were no CDP failures.

What are they made of?

6 strands of 31 steel wires bundled together make up the 1-7/16 inch diameter CDP. Breaking strength is rated at 205,000 pounds (a 50,000 lbs aircraft engaging the CDP at 145 knots generates ~200,000 pounds of force). 100 "hits" and the CDP is replaced whether it needs to be or not. My understanding is a "hit" is anytime a tailhook "point" touches a CDP even if just a glancing blow (no engagement). Every "hit" CDP receives a visual inspection prior to the next aircraft's approach. Any visible defect and the CDP is removed before the next aircraft landing (good crews can remove a CDP in less than 15 seconds). Routine daily inspections and maintenance is also performed during non-flying hours.

Surely there is some sort of carbon fiber etc that could be used and be classed as near unbreakable.

Costs and reliability continue to push the navy to use what works. Actual CDP failures are very rare.

Ozair

Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:37 am

Thanks for the info all, when the KittyHawk toured Australia some years ago I was able to go on top but was too enthralled by all the hardware to look at the smaller stuff. As an Aussie I am not too familiar with Carriers, our last one was sold for scrap to the Chinese 20 years ago and is probably shaving faces around the world as Gillette razors.

So the cable is replaced every 100 hits, in wartime conditions I imagine this can be every two days or so due to the number of sorties. Is the third wire is the one used for most traps? It must be a fine tuned operation on the deck, so many things to worry about and watch for.

DeltaGuy

Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:05 am

If the 1 wire's CDP needs replacement as often as the 3 wire....then we have problems  Laugh out loud

DeltaGuy

Silver1SWA

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:04 pm

I caught a portion of a program on The Military Channel tonight. There was a video showing an accident where a cable snapped. I didn't catch when, where, or even how this occurred, but I did see the most amazing portion of the video. After the cable snaps, a deck crew member (looked like a yellow-shirt) jumps over the out-of-control cable not only once, but twice as he jumps over it again as it whips back. Some incredible acrobatics meant he was lucky enough to escape without harm, but I guess 6 or 7 crew members weren't so lucky and were struck causing serious injury. Was this program describing the same incident discussed here?? It was really something to watch,...probably the most incredible carrier video I have seen since the guy getting sucked into the A-6 engine.

ulfinator

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:08 pm

Oddly enough the TV show JAG had an episode about this same thing happening a few seasons back. In their scenario the probem was cause becuase a Super Hornet was comming in but the wires were accidently set for the lighter Hornet and the system wasn't ready for the strain and snapped.

Only issue with that episode was that the video of the "Super Hornet" landing was actually a regular Hornet. Those rounded intakes are a dead give away.

Silver1SWA

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:39 am

Well the same program I caught last night is on right now. It's called Anatomy of a Supercarrier. It just showed the incident I was talking about. It was a Hornet landing (during the day) and the cable was stretched to a breaking point causing the aircraft to slide off the deck and the cable to whip around the deck like I described in reply 17. What was crazy was they first showed it in full speed. It hardly seemed like anything happened. All you could here was this "ping" sound as the cable snapped and whipped around. It happened so fast you couldn't tell anything happened. But when they replayed it in slow motion and zoomed in, you could see the drama unfolding. Crazy...