Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iakobos
Topic Author

First Ever Int'l Air Show HAF

Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:06 pm

For those interested, the Hellenic Air Force will hold its first every International air show on Tanagra AB, September 16 to 18th. (65km N of Athens)

Besides the full stock of Greek military, police, coast guard and firefighting planes and helicopters, some rare birds will be on display.
Avioane J-22 Orao (Serbia-Montenegro), K8 Karakoram (Pak/Chinese design, under colors of Egypt AF), Mig-21 (Romanian AF), Embraer/Ericsson EMB-145AEW Erieye (manufacturer), T-2E Buckeye (HAF), S-70B Aegean Hawk (HAF).

Flying display (should) include
Frecce Tricolori (Italy) Aermacchi MB-339A
Orlik (Polish AF display team) on PZL-130
Patrulla Aguila (Spanish AF team) on Casa-101
a team of IAR-99 from Romanian AF
Super Galeb fm Serbia-Montenegro
a GAF Typhoon
Belgian and Dutch F-16s
Saab Gripen
Rafale
Aermacchi's beautiful MB-346
etc...

Some older birds also
PBY-5A Catalina, AN-2 Colt, Bu-131 Jungman, Bu-133 Jungmeister, Fieseler-Storch 156, RC-3 Seabee and HAF's beautifully maintained C-47 (they started their career during the Korean war and are still on regular duty).

http://www.haf.gr/en/airshow/

Sidenote....some changes did occur here since the unfortunate "Kalamata spotters' incident"....

HaveBlue

RE: First Ever Int'l Air Show HAF

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting Iakobos (Thread starter):
Sidenote....some changes did occur here since the unfortunate "Kalamata spotters' incident"....

Sounds like a great airshow, but I want to know the details on the 'incident'.. please.

iakobos
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:05 am

Some 10-11 British and one Dutch spotters ended up in jail, a very real one, for having taken pictures in a "no cameras / no pictures" area of the Kalamata airbase (a mixed Civ/Mil airfield) at the end of an "open door".
Last year or two years ago...
They were released on bail but after having had plenty of time to accustom themselves to Greek food.
Trial ended up with suspended sentences.

Google "kalamata spotters" for more details.

SXFAN

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:24 pm

I will be there next Sunday armed with my camera and ready to capture the interesting eastern birds accompanied with some Gripens and other western fighters. Iakove will you be there? Are you still in Greece BTW? (Change of flag  Wink ) We can organize a greek A.net meeting....

I will also be in Floisbos today for the red arrows show!!!!!

P.S. Have a nice winter everybody I am back....

iakobos
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:27 pm

Hi Vassili,

I don't know yet if I will drive down (470km..), there are familial factors to take into account, though I have a good friend who "works" at the base.
If I can make it I will e-mail you.
..pity we don't live on Kastella anymore...

I hope some channel will show the Reds today on tv...I spent two days with the team at a time they flew the Gnat (in Brussels). Memories...

Camera...if you end up in filaki give me a sign...I have some useful friends  Wink

iakobos
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:46 pm

The use of all kinds of cameras (photographic, video and mobile phone cameras) is allowed only during the show dates and hours (16-18 September from 08:00 to 18:00). However, visitors need to take notice of the following:

* The public visiting Tanagra Air Base is allowed to photograph the aircraft participating in the static and flying displays.
* Viewers of the show located outside Tanagra Air Base can photograph airplanes in flight which will take part in the flying display.
* Taking photographs of the Air Base premises is strictly forbidden.

From the Hellenic AF website...