Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

YF-23 To Reborn As A Bomber?

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:51 am

In the latest issue of AW&ST, there is a very small article that tells of a new bomber concept that could possible replace the B-52 and B-1B. It's a laerger version of the YF-23 concept dubbed the FB-23. There is a great artist concept in the article, but I have been able to only find one pic on web. Ironically, it's from a conspiracy theorists website. The pic isn't great but you get the idea.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread171725/pg1

This, BTW, is also confirmed on Northrop Grumman's website as well.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

NightHawk117

RE: YF-23 To Reborn As A Bomber?

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:02 am

It won't happen for a while, if at all. For one, it is hard enough to continue to secure funding for the Raptor. And, Lockheed has the proposed F/B-22 (which I don't think will happen, either)

Second, as far as bombers go, I see us going the way of UCAVS (Boeing's X-45/47), instead of spending $ on another, very costly manned bomber.

IMHO  Wink
Team Stealth...when it absolutely, positively HAS to be taken out overnight!

petertenthije

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:12 am

The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

CX747

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:53 am

This was one of several designs shown to the government not to long ago. The USAF is looking for a 2 pronged attack. 1 aircraft would be designed now for the short term using present technology while the 2nd aircraft would be designed and built years from now using future technologies. Designs range from manned aircraft to unmanned aircraft. In my opinion, I believe the Air Force will choose a 2 man crewed aircraft. It will have the capaiblities of the B-1 but a lower operating cost. Think of it as the perferct mix of a F-15E and a B-1.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

CX747

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:38 am

I did a little bit more research on this program and there are some really neat ideas out there. The FB-23 design is really neat along with one of Boeing's entries. It is called the B-1R. It would look like a B-1 but have F-22 engines, updated avionics, improved stealth etc.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Jaws707

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:16 am

On this topic for the next bomber, I was thinking why doesnt the airforce just try to get Northrop to build 10-20 more B-2 bombers. There would be pretty much no R&D expense, so assuming all of the tooling isnt destroyed this shouldnt be too expensive. I would imagine the B-2 being just as capable as any YF-23 or YF-22 bomber with more payload capacity.

ruger11

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:25 pm

They probably wouldn't want 10-20 more B-1's simply because they will want updated technology, impoved stealth features, who knows what... Heck I'd agree with you, just build a dozen+ more B-1's and be done with it. But that's not typical thinking for these guys... so in the end we'll have a handfull of really capable planes for billions of dollars.

cloudy

Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:53 pm

Quoting Jaws707 (Reply 5):
On this topic for the next bomber, I was thinking why doesnt the airforce just try to get Northrop to build 10-20 more B-2 bombers. There would be pretty much no R&D expense, so assuming all of the tooling isnt destroyed this shouldnt be too expensive. I would imagine the B-2 being just as capable as any YF-23 or YF-22 bomber with more payload capacity.

From what I understand - the B2 is very expensive to operate. It was built for a cold-war mission.

Also, If we still have the capability to build them without major restart expenses that would be unusual. Most of the time production stops on a complex military plane it cannot be economically restarted. The problem is not only in finding or rebuilding the production tooling. Building this kind of plane requires rare, specialized, irreplaceable skills. Even if you have the right tools you also need the right people. This is not only true in final assembly but all the way down the supply chain. Building more B-2's may end up being more expensive then a new version of the F/A-22 or F-23.

keesje

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:23 am

I think modern ammunition / press camera´s running everywhere have limited the required load of bombers.

Perhaps B1/B2 sized transporters have become to expensive, hard to hide and overseized.

Looking at recent conflicts fast medium bombers seem more important then air superiority fighters.
https://www.airliners.net/discussions/military/read.main/28648

The Tornado IDS will survive the ADV
The F15E will survive the F15C

This one comes close, it even has a lav & mini galley for long patrol missions and is more then able to defend itself, however it comes from the wrong side.

This one also had the right dimensions, however different mission, time and technology.

http://prototypes.free.fr/a5/nouv/a3j_04.jpg

And of course this one. The Aussies can find no real replacement.

I think the militairy requirements are changing. Lockheed feels it..

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway