Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

Why No USN Heritage Flights?

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:41 am

At USAF air show, they have Heritage fly by where retired USAF fighters flies with current fighters over the crowded and some times do stunts. Why the USN do not do this. With the F-14 being retired, it would be a great ideal to have the Tomcat fly in formation with F/A-18-E+F, F-4, F-8 and F-35 in the future. It would be a real crowed pleaser so why the USN do not do heritage flights?

FlyUSCG

RE: Why No USN Heritage Flights?

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:51 am

They do. They used F-14's on occasion in the past but it is now F-18's (both older and super hornet versions). The other aircraft I have seen in the formation were F6F Hellcats, F4U Corsair's, F8F Bearcats and a Hawker Sea Fury.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

HaveBlue

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:09 pm

I've seen an F-14 do a tight formation fly by with a Grumman F-7F Tigercat, and even got a picture as they flew a loop with the Tomcat above the Tiger where the complete shadow of the 14 lay on the back of the F7. It was sweet.

vzlet

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:24 pm

There is a Navy version, the "Legacy Flight".

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dariusz Jezewski "FotoDJ Photography"

The below shots are from LegacyFlight.org

"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

dc8jet

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:31 am

There will be an interesting Legacy Flight at this years Thunder Over Michigan. The Collings Foundation TA-4J will fly with a FG-1D Corsair. In the early 1990s the Kalamazoo Air Zoo had the Cat Flight in which their Wildcat, Hellcat, Bearcat and Tigercat flew with an F-14 Tomcat. Saw the Tigercat do a routine with the Tomcat that was out of this world. To this day I still think it was the best airshow performance I have ever seen.

DeltaGuy

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:09 am

Good to see the Collings foundation got that TA-4J going....they certainly have an impressive collection and seeing their old iron grace the skies is really a neat treat....it's unfortunate that there's not more groups like that in the US.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

dc8jet

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:26 pm

I saw the Collings F-4 last year and it was fantastic. There was also an F-104 flying at the same show. Aside from the high costs is the fact that the US Government is not too keen on private persons flying jet fighter aircraft. I had heard that the Collings Foundation had to go thru tons of red tape in order to operate the F-4.