Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJAF

RE: Saudi Arabia Buys 72 Eurofighters

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:56 am

I would never really envisage Saudi Typhoons firing in anger. I believe the next threat to them is from within. May be some cheaper COIN aircraft would be more of need.

Lumberton

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting RJAF (Reply 100):
I believe the next threat to them is from within.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why would they buy a very expensive air superiority platform? They must see some kind of an external threat? It would be far cheaper to buy more AH-64s if internal dissent was their primary worry (which it very well may be....).

[Edited 2007-01-22 22:15:06]

art

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 101):
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why would they buy a very expensive air superiority platform?

Iran? Iraq descending further into civil war only to emerge as a radicalised state?

I imagine Saudi Arabia is not short of dollars after last year's hike in the price of oil, so why not buy an expensive twin engined air superiority platform (with A2G capability, when it arrives)?

L410Turbolet

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
Saudi Arabia has confirmed it is to buy 72 Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft from the UK

Great! Who's next? Iran? China? NK?

RichardPrice

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 103):
Great! Who's next? Iran? China? NK?

Wow, trying to be inflamatory or something?

Whats wrong with selling to Saudi Arabia, apart from the fact that you personally dont like them?

TaromA380

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:28 pm

Fondamentalist country ?

RichardPrice

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting TaromA380 (Reply 105):
Fondamentalist country ?

I think you mean 'fundamentalist'. And so what if they are, as a country they havent threatened to attack anyone and indeed within the past 15 years they have been very helpful to the western world.

L410Turbolet

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 104):
Whats wrong with selling to Saudi Arabia

Hmmm, lemme see... Maybe because they are the most backward, intolerant, fundamentalist theocracy with horrible human rights record?  Confused

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 106):
within the past 15 years they have been very helpful to the western world.

If being the most hypocrite, double-faced regime means "helpful" in your vocabulary, then they've certainly been helpful.  Yeah sure

RichardPrice

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 107):
Hmmm, lemme see... Maybe because they are the most backward, intolerant, fundamentalist theocracy with horrible human rights record?

And? In 1991 we put a worse dictatorship back in control of their country, this is nothing.

L410Turbolet

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 108):
And?

Because human rights is major reason for EU arms emargo on China so not selling arms to China on one hand and selling them to Saudis is just utter hypocrisy and double standards.

In 1991 we put a worse dictatorship back in control of their country

That was Kuwait. Different country.

RichardPrice

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 109):
Because human rights is major reason for EU arms emargo on China so not selling arms to China on one hand and selling them to Saudis is just utter hypocrisy and double standards.

World isnt black and white, sorry.

China is a different country, yet you try to use it as an example of hypocrisy and double standards.

atmx2000

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:32 am

And? In 1991 we put a worse dictatorship back in control of their country, this is nothing.

Indeed, and I don't really understand. Kuwait is one of the more Westernized countries.

Agreeably, that is a somewhat poor reason to not sell to China if you sell to the others. The reason not to sell to China is that a) China will reverse engineer things more easily with access to the hardware and b) China is a threat to the democratic nations of the Pacific Rim but no one is a threat to China.

TaromA380

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 106):
I think you mean 'fundamentalist'. And so what if they are, as a country they havent threatened to attack anyone and indeed within the past 15 years they have been very helpful to the western world.

A country with an official theocratic doctrine extremely hostile to the modern world as we know it ?

(I don't use the terms "backward", "horrible human right" because they are relative, muslims consider the islamic rule as normal, as a benediction, and their meaning of human right differs from ours)

However, what really does matter is their hostile attitude, extremely intolerant doctrine and all the details of that doctrine which are in conflict with western way of life and that I spare you now.

Fortunately, they cannot be a military threat right now, in the opposite case you would have seen what their doctrine really means. However, helping them to be more and more a military power, doesn't make me glad at all.

Unfortunately, in the international bussiness, that details doesn't care too much. Democracy or not, if US doesn't sell, UK will sell. If UK won't sell, France will sell. If France refuse to sell, Russia will sell. Money is money and corporation profits doesn't always converge with paper texts about tyranny, human right, fundamentalism.

So, I think neither western country is clearly guilty of anything in this weapon trade, it's just a fatality. However, I cannot feel good knowing these things. I would prefer anytime to know the fundamentalists are rambling in the desert, mounted on camels, and not in 4th generation fighter jets.

The chock of the modern world with islamic fundamentalism (already a pleonasm) is just at the beginning, and the future isn't bright at all.

art

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:07 am

I think I would dislike living under a very extreme religious regime (eg taliban style, Al Qaida) more than I would dislike living in Saudi Arabia. Since Saudi Arabia is opposed to Al Qaida, I grudging support the Typhoon sale.

GDB

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:23 pm

I do not think that anyone in the West, 'likes' the Saudi regime, however, they know the likely alternative is something even worse.
However much our distaste, haven't we made things so much worse in the region by thinking that WE knew best what sort of government Iraq should have?

Saudi was for a long time in denial about Islamist terror, including in their own country, a bomb attack would be passed off as an ex-pats turf war about illegal drink sales, even to the point of locking up innocent UK citizens.
Not any more, the wave of devasting attacks by Al-Queda related groups in 2003 ended this charade for good.

They've had to get real, I'd suggest this has likely had an effect on Islamist fund raising, by members of that vast, rotten Royal Family, since if the Islamist terror groups caused a general uprising, all those Royals would be the first to be killed.

It was one of Bin Laden's main aims to overthrow the Saudi Royals, I also think it was deliberate that so many Saudi citizens were involved in Sept 11th, with the hope that this would drive a wedge between the West, the US in particular, and Saudi Arabia, in the hope of speeding their demise.

L410Turbolet

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 114):
I do not think that anyone in the West, 'likes' the Saudi regime, however, they know the likely alternative is something even worse.

Then why supply them with state-of-the-art technology? Eurofighter is anything but useless to combat terrorism (I dobt Saudi AF will use Eurofighters to attack houses of those Saudi royal family memebers who funnel money to god knows what terrorist school... I mean madrasa in Pakistan).
Didn't Iran's F-14s prove how stupid and shortsighted selling arms to anyone in this area is?
Who can guarantee that Iran's scenario with F-14s will not repeat itself next week, next year in 3, 5 years in Saudi Arabia?

TaromA380

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:19 pm

Nobody.

However, a country X (name US, UK, Fr etc) can make the deal, or refuse the deal, knowing very well other country will make it. So nothing to lose, only to win.

Bilions dollars deals doesn't rose on trees, it's for sure. Saudis will finally find a seller for fighter jets is for sure too.

Btw, same thing applies to China. Fortunately there is no major religious hostility, nor even ideological (they doesn't want to communize the world - anymore, just the regime to survive), China is just a big country who will naturally became a big power with it's own pretentions. I prefer that than other freacking fundamentalist conflict, much harder to counter, because islamists doesn't care if the world finishes in ashes (russians, chinese, americans etc does), they care only to get the reward from Allah.

GDB

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:17 am

Why supply Saudi with this weaponary?
Look at the local geopolitical map.
Iran, who want the be the local power, not great friends with Saudi, Syria-what would happen if the Baathist regime fell/imploded?
These Typhoons will serve for at least 20 years-what will Iraq be like then?
Indeed, what will the world be like by then?

Devilfish

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting TaromA380 (Reply 116):

Bilions dollars deals doesn't rose on trees, it's for sure. Saudis will finally find a seller for fighter jets is for sure too.

And it seems it's Eurofighter after all.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...arabia-back-on-after-uk-fraud.html

Quote:
"With a UK investigation into past BAE Systems deals abandoned, Saudi Arabia is close to signing the biggest export order for the Eurofighter Typhoon"

cloudy

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 101):
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why would they buy a very expensive air superiority platform? They must see some kind of an external threat? It would be far cheaper to buy more AH-64s if internal dissent was their primary worry (which it very well may be....).

Iran is the main one, as mentioned above. Israel is another. Or suppose Egypt fell to a fundamentalist coup. With its holy sites and oil, Saudi Arabia is always going to be a juicy target for somebody. They don't have the population to create a massive army like Iran has. Only a small portion of the population will submit to effective military training in peacetime. Thats why they need sophisticated defenses - they overcome numbers with tech and training.

As for counter insurgency aircraft - I don't see many predicting any prolonged insurgency in Saudi Arabia. What the Saudi royal family fear is a fundamentalist coup like what happened in Iran. No weapons can stop that. What the Saudis do is buy the radicals off by funding radical schools in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere. The royal family gives the radicals control of the next generation in order to keep themselves in power. If this sounds scary that is because it is. But it is a touchy problem and it is hard to see how we could do better in their place....

CF188A

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 7):
Clearly the IDF and the JASDF will buy F22's and in large quantities.

RAAF/CAF are marginal on the issue because of the $$ involved, even though the RAAF seems to be swimming in $$$ at this moment.

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 7):
The F22 is ideal for Canada--twin engine, long range--unfortunately Canada currently does not have a threat (any emerging threat would be covered by the USAF) and the Liberal government has a history of nor buying what the troops need, but what the civilians think that the troops need. So I don't see the maple leaf on an F22.

I laughed when I read this. Nothing personal just Canada will never finance a fleet of fighters which are 200mil + per unit. What the hell do we need F-22s for? To be honest.... what DOES THE US ... need F-22s for ... lol? Maybe if a full scale war breaks out with China or Iran... they yeah maybe, but the F-22 really is not necessary for the Canadian mission. Even if we had 500 bil just laying around, we would probably go with the Eurofighter. I believe Canada is making a mistake with the JSF, and I think the Euro would be the better fit. Canada has always been fond of twin powerplant fighters, so it will be interested to see what happens with the JSF. Alot of money for technology we do not necessarily need.

PADSpot

Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Reuters reports that the final contract has been sent to King Abdullah for signing. It seems that the deal for 72 EFs finally materializes. Good news for all the EF nations.

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/..._L07690756_RTRIDST_0_BAE-SAUDI.XML

Devilfish

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:01 am

Looking more and more like a done deal.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...k38AAAEAAFRR2loAAAAN&modele=jdc_34

BAE to seal 20-billion-pound Eurofighter deal with Saudi Arabia: report

AirRyan

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:04 am

Good buy for the Saudi's and a good deal for the EuroFighter program as a whole; 72 Typhoons flying in the Arabian desert will be a good test and benchmark for Western technology for the future of the region.

jutes85

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:10 am

I know this story is old, but why the hell do they need Eurofighters and more importantly, who is gonna fly them? Saudi Arabia knows how to buy, I just hope their spending skills is just as good as the pilots who will fly these.

Quoting CF188A (Reply 120):
I laughed when I read this. Nothing personal just Canada will never finance a fleet of fighters which are 200mil + per unit. What the hell do we need F-22s for? To be honest.... what DOES THE US ... need F-22s for ... lol? Maybe if a full scale war breaks out with China or Iran... they yeah maybe, but the F-22 really is not necessary for the Canadian mission. Even if we had 500 bil just laying around, we would probably go with the Eurofighter. I believe Canada is making a mistake with the JSF, and I think the Euro would be the better fit. Canada has always been fond of twin powerplant fighters, so it will be interested to see what happens with the JSF. Alot of money for technology we do not necessarily need.

It looks like Canada's main two choices will be either the JSF or Eurofighter, not because they are the best two choices, but because these will be the only two aircraft in production in 2012 when the Canadian government has to decide what to buy. We already sunk half a billion dollars into the JSF program so it's not that hard to see what will the obvious choice will be. The F-22 is a completely useless airframe for Canada.

AirRyan

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 124):
It looks like Canada's main two choices will be either the JSF or Eurofighter, not because they are the best two choices, but because these will be the only two aircraft in production in 2012 when the Canadian government has to decide what to buy. We already sunk half a billion dollars into the JSF program so it's not that hard to see what will the obvious choice will be. The F-22 is a completely useless airframe for Canada.

F/A-18F block II's just like Australia, mark my words. As the JSF prices become more evident of their inevitable escalation, the AESA powered Super Hornets combined with the EA-18G's will become a highly competitive cost alternative to the JSF.

jutes85

Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:03 pm

Sure the Superhornet would be nice to work on, but in the end, why does Canada need a carrier bird?

PADSpot

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:58 pm

The F-22 is a completely useless airframe for Canada.

Notwithstanding whether the US is going to export the F-22 at all, but why would it be useless? If the price is ok and Boeing adjusts it more to be a true multi-role aircraft it will be a great choice for Canada

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 126):
Sure the Superhornet would be nice to work on, but in the end, why does Canada need a carrier bird?

What makes a carrier bird inappropriate for Canada? I think the reasons why one could reject the F/A-18E/F are not so much related to it being a carrier bird. I would more complain about low air frame performance and lower survivability compared to true 4th and 4.5th generation aircraft. But the concept itself is great for smaller air forces who want only one type for all missions.

HanginOut

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting CF188A (Reply 120):

Jutes85, I don't think it matters how much we've put into the project so far, if the costs escalate beyond a certain point there's no way we'll buy the F-35. Besides, I'm sure the Europeans would be happy to come to a similar arrangement as we have with the JSF if it meant that they would supply Canada with the Eurofighter. Moreover, I agree with CF188A, I think that the Eurofighter would be an excellent fit for the CF. Also, a lot will depend on who the government of the day is and upon other strategic considerations as well (eg. it might be a good idea to diversify away from US aircraft) before any decision is made on which fighter to buy. Lastly, I completely agree with CF188A, there is now way that Canada will ever buy the F-22 (it's just too expensive).

GDB

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 am

I see the well worn 'it's only for air to air' a few posts up, again. (Yawn).

Anyway, another report;
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,2169908,00.html

What do they need them for? To replace Tornados (and maybe some of their early F-15's perhaps), that are getting on for 20 years old.
Though many updated IDS Tornados will carry on, many of them are much newer anyway-built in the 1990's.

Would the same argument been going on if France won out with Rafale, or the US with something-not that they are not providing aircraft, or even some latest SU-30 version?
Hey, the UK did not supply dozens of fighters, 100's of tanks/armoured vehicles, 1000's of guided weapons, to Saddam's Iraq, but aside from Russia (or the USSR as it was), one Western nation did.
(Iraqi requests for Jaguar strike aircraft were turned down in 1977, the same with Hawk trainers a decade later).

FighterPilot

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 127):
What makes a carrier bird inappropriate for Canada?

Lack of carriers?

Cal  airplane 

hunterson

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:48 am

A quick update on this story for anyone who is interested.
Both the British Ministry of Defence and the Saudi Government today announced that the contract has finally been signed.
The deal covers ( as expected ) 72 Eurofighter Typhoons, in both single and two seater versions( but they have not announced the exact split between the two versions yet ), and it is valued at 4.4 billion sterling pounds ( some 9 billion US dollars ).
The new fighters are intended to replace the existing Saudi Tornado-ADV fighters, and perhaps some of the tonado-IDS strike aircraft which the RSAF currently operates. The Saudis received a total of 96 Tornado-IDS and 48 Tornado-ADV from the UK under the Yamamah programmes between 1985 and 2005. Some of the IDS aircraft are being upgraded and modernized by BAe in Britain at the moment, and are expected to remain in service till about 2020. The ADVs on the other hand ( which the Saudis never really liked ) will be completely phased out and replaced by the Typhoons when their deliveries begin around late 2008 or early 2009.

PADSpot

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 130):
Lack of carriers?

A carrier needs carrier-airplanes, but a carrier-airplane does not necessarily need a carrier.

Devilfish

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:37 am

Whatever the issues, it's now official.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...HX8AAAEAAHfWyOoAAAAK&modele=jdc_34

Quote:
“a contract was signed by the two governments on Tuesday, 29/8/1428 AH for purchase of the mentioned planes at a cost of 4, 430 million sterling pound.

“It is worth mentioning that the price of one plane is similar to the price of the plane when it is sold to the Royal British Air forces.”

hunterson

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:18 am

The interesting question now is what will the Saudis select to replace their remaining F-5E Tigers ( some 60 or so ) ?

Now that they have signed the deal with the UK for their 72 Eurofighter Typhoons, will the try to keep the US happy by ordering some F-16/Block60s, or perhaps go the "French Way" and order the Rafale?

GDB

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:29 am

Saudi AF Tornado IDS aircraft, have been exercising with RAF 617 Sqn GR.4's, in Scotland.
The first overseas deployment for them.
Aside from honing inter-operatability, it is thought that as the Saudi aircraft are getting upgraded in a similar manner to the RAF GR.4's, integrating new weapons might be a part of it too, such as Storm Shadow, as the RAF aircraft now have the Brimstone air to ground weapon now too, this might be a factor as well as avionics and recce pods.

PADSpot

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 135):
it is thought that as the Saudi aircraft are getting upgraded in a similar manner to the RAF GR.4's

They probably get ASSTA2 + an updated FLIR from GR.4 + customized weapon and LDP integration. The GR.4 basics are almost 15 years old already. GR.4 avionics have been further developed to ASSTA 1 in 2000 and has since been integrated in all remaining German Tornadoes. Since 2005 ASSTA 2 is being installed on Italian and German Tornadoes, which is again a further developed ASSTA 1 main computer + display upgrade + defense aid computer (with much technology from DASS system of the EF) + link16 preparation + lots of new weapons.

That way the Saudi IDS could really become the most advanced Tornado, putting together the advantages of the uk-made airframe and the latest avionic standards. In case they want to do something good, they could buy them new Mk.104 engines from the ADV Tornado. That would be a nice fighter bomber then.