Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MastaHanky
Topic Author

Air Force One Ground Ops, Etc.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:45 am

I had a few questions about Air Force One.

First off, I was curious if any special operations are taken by ground control when Air Force One is taxiing. Are any movements by other aircraft in the area brought to a halt, or is it pretty much business-as-usual?

Secondly, is Air Force One given any special ATC handling? Does it receive more spacing between aircraft between normal civilian aircraft?

BatonOps

RE: Air Force One Ground Ops, Etc.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:08 am

All ground movements are halted 10-15 minutes prior to AF1's arrival. Same applies on departure. Normally once AF1 lands it will not talk to ground control. The AF1 advance team has already mapped out the aircrafts taxi route and given that to the pilots. Again, the same applies for depature...but they will call for takeoff clearance.

I'm sure that ATC gives AF1 special handling once in the air. I wouldn't be surprised if they get cleared direct to its destination once airborne.

FutureFO

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:52 am

The airport literally shuts down for the time that the plane is arriving, and then again after it is ready to depart.

Sean
I Don't know where I am anymore

Cory6188

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:59 am

On that note...I was wondering about the below-wing service for AF1. As far as fuel, a tug, maintenance, anything that the aircraft would need while on the ground, do they have contracts with the local FBOs or one of the major carriers, do they bring a crew with them wherever they go...how does it work?

BatonOps

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 3):
On that note...I was wondering about the below-wing service for AF1. As far as fuel, a tug, maintenance, anything that the aircraft would need while on the ground, do they have contracts with the local FBOs or one of the major carriers, do they bring a crew with them wherever they go...how does it work?

Having worked the arrival/departure of AF1 numerous times during the last election I can give you some first had details.

At MDT we (Air National Guard) handled most of the ground support for AF1. If we didn't have something (like stair trucks) the advance team would coordinate with the nearest Air Force base to have the equipment brought in. For example the stair trucks would normall come from Andrews, Dover, or McGuire Air Force Base.

If AF1 goes to a civilian field with no military support the advance team will contract with an FBO to handle the aircraft.

AF1 also carries its own maintenance personel to work any issues with the aircraft.

FutureFO

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:11 am

They bring a whole freakin crew to do all of the groundwork. What do you thing the Air Force is there for.

Sean
I Don't know where I am anymore

JayDavis

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:44 am

We were waiting one day for Air Force One, which as you know is ONLY called Air Force One when the President is on board, come in for a landing at Dallas Love Field.

The President had been in ABQ before coming to DAL and was running late. The arrivals were coming in from the south and landing to the north. We kept looking and looking and looking to the south waiting for it to line up for the runway and glide path etc......

Well, we were standing next to a building and all of a sudden that beautiful 747-400 is just hauling buns from west to east and makes a HUGE banking turn and makes a short final approach into DAL. It was incredible !! I'm sure they (the pilots) were trying to knock some minutes off the arrival since they were running late but you would NEVER see a commercial aircraft do the exact same type of hard, banking turn. It was just too cool to see that !! Just wish I had had my camera ready at that time !! Darn-it !!  Smile

ntspelich

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting JayDavis (Reply 6):
Well, we were standing next to a building and all of a sudden that beautiful 747-400 is just hauling buns from west to east and makes a HUGE banking turn and makes a short final approach into DAL.

Too bad it's a -200.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Maiko Lews

United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

JayDavis

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:13 am

Yeah, but it certainly is a BEAUTIFUL 200 series aircraft.

I wonder if they have thought about putting winglets on it? I wonder how much fuel savings that would be? That also has to be one of the CLEANEST aircraft ever flown..............

JBo

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:15 am

Shouldn't this be in Military Av?
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

TinkerBelle

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting JayDavis (Reply 8):
Yeah, but it certainly is a BEAUTIFUL 200 series aircraft.

I wonder if they have thought about putting winglets on it? I wonder how much fuel savings that would be? That also has to be one of the CLEANEST aircraft ever flown..............

I bet they don't give a rat's ass how much fuel they save. It's your tax $$ they're burning. They might as well purchase the AC A340's huuh!  duck 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

JayDavis

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:47 am

It is your tax dollars as well...............

Bobster2

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:01 am

I once listened to ATC communications while AF1 was at the local airport. A FOD (foreign object debris) check was performed to make sure the runway was clear for takeoff, and after that point nobody was allowed to move until AF1 actually took off because they didn't want to have to repeat the FOD check. Some of the airline pilots were using obscenities in their ATC communications when they were told the reason why they couldn't move. I never heard airline pilots talk like that before.  

[Edited 2006-08-28 04:05:55]
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

CALMSP

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:08 am

UAL has handled AF1 before in GRR, and we have used our own equipment and personnel to drive our equipment when AF1 has visited DEN due to Buckley being closed. In GRR, the tower personnel talked directly with AF1, no "special" controllers were brought in regarding only them being albe to talk to them.

lincoln

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:10 am

I was working at CLE a few weeks ago when President Bush and Air Force One came to visit (doing the programming for an AV automation system in the Anthony Hopkins room, a window in the prefunction area stares right into the flight deck of any aircraft parked at gate A1A).

I was expecting a lot more "excitement" -- all in all, all I saw was the C17 parked on the NASA ramp; I never even saw AF1 (I did have my head stuck in an equipment rack when I heard a very loud rumble that I -suspect- was AF1, but I never actually saw it). No visible security presence around the terminal, and every time I looked everything was operating "normally".

Kinda a disappointment, but oh well. The dire predictions about things being "locked down" proved to be an overreaction so I guess I shouldn't complain.

LIncoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ABpositive

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:31 am

Are same procedures followed when AF1 visits non-US destinations? They can't demand the same sort of treatment there as they don't have the authority.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:34 am

When Al Gore was running for president I was working at the fuel farm at SAN. AirForce two came in. Before it landed we had secret service come into our facility with bomb sniffing dogs, banned our operations for a period of time and also had sharpshooters at the top of the ATC Tower at San. We couldn't do anything for a two hour period. We couldn't have anyone leave or come to our facility. At least I was still getting paid.

Same thing when baby Bush came in on his 727 before he was president.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:36 am

One more thing that was also before 9-11. I'd hate to see it now. They probably have everyone against the wall at gun point.

FlyDeltaJets

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 13):
UAL has handled AF1 before in GRR, and we have used our own equipment and personnel to drive our equipment when AF1 has visited DEN due to Buckley being closed. In GRR, the tower personnel talked directly with AF1, no "special" controllers were brought in regarding only them being albe to talk to them.

Any cans in the cargo hold. If they are what airline are they for. That would be a way to raise money for the govt. Carry freight.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

CALMSP

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:49 pm

no, not that i know of..............i dont recall seeing any cargo doors on the bottom portion. thats b/c you typically only see the left side when Bush walks out of the door.

ntspelich

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 12):
I never heard airline pilots talk like that before.

You've obviously never heard them when they get in early and find out that they don't have a gate to park at.
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

airfoilsguy

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 2):
The airport literally shuts down for the time that the plane is arriving, and then again after it is ready to depart

It also shut down while waiting for a certain president to get a hair cut.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:42 am

All the things about AF1's special handling are true, but it is not limited to the POTUS. However, not unique.

About 20 years ago while I was in Toronto working on a BA Tristar. The president of Egypt, Hosui Mubarak, made a official state visit to Canada. The entire Air Canada maintenance hanger was cleared out and no one was allow on the apron. Everyone had to go to interior rooms. We ended up in an an engineering office on the second floor, where we had a great view of the dog and pony show. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) had guards in the roofs, and roving patrols. After some time a C-130 arrived, followed by a 707. The official party got out of the 707 were greeted by lots of people in suits and then got in to a limousine unloaded from the C-130. That limousine and about ten others drove off surrounded by a bevvy of MCMP cars. After all the limousines were gone we were allowed to go back to work. We took the Tristar out of the hanger for an engine run and were parked right next to the Egyptian 707, which was guarded by several RCMP. I started talking to one of the guards and ended up trading a Tristar tie-tack for his RCMP tie-bar, with the RCMP crest on it. I still have that tie bar.

gh123

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting Ntspelich (Reply 7):
USER PROFILESEND INSTANT MSGADD TO RESP USERSSUGGEST DELETIONQUOTE SELECTED TEXT

Ntspelich From United States, joined Aug 2003, 756 posts, RR: 2
Reply 7, posted Mon Aug 28 2006 02:57:25 UTC+2 and read 681 times:

Quoting JayDavis (Reply 6):
Well, we were standing next to a building and all of a sudden that beautiful 747-400 is just hauling buns from west to east and makes a HUGE banking turn and makes a short final approach into DAL.

Too bad it's a -200.

laughing  thats funny!

Quoting JayDavis (Reply 8):

Cleanest, I'd try the Dubai Air Wing - look at the 747-440 747sp and 737BBJ.
They are the definition of clean, and they are white. AIR FRANCE - LOOK AND LEARN!

Boeing Nut

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 5):
They bring a whole freakin crew to do all of the groundwork.

Far from accurate.

Quoting Ntspelich (Reply 7):

Too bad it's a -200.

I have absolutely nothing against the -200 but man I'd love to see it in a -400 platfrom.

Modified Airliner Photos:
Click here for bigger photo!
Design © N. Khawaja
Template © N. Khawaja

I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.