Traindriver

RE: Just Launch The Friggin' Shuttle!....

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:05 am

I'm down here in Fla. on the Space Coast. We just watched the Shuttle
fly over the house. Impressive sight like always, really lights up the sky.

UAL Bagsmasher

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 am

I just saw the shuttle from here in Wilmington, Delaware. I saw it about 6 minutes after it launched. It stayed in view for about a minute and a half or so. It looked like a bright orange light moving from south to north really fast at about 30 degrees above the horizon. I had the radio broadcast going and when they announced main engine cutout, I saw several flickers followed by darkness. I saw the external tank fall away as a seperate small light. I then saw several thruster rockets firing repeatedly before the shuttle finally disappeared from view for good. Quite a sight! Smile

Boston92

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:30 am

Big version: Width: 210 Height: 210 File size: 9kb

Nice.

sprout5199

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Saw the launch from here in South Florida. GREAT

Night launches are alway great.

Dan in Jupiter

Thorny

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 30):
Something I don't get is they have a multi billion dollar space program with all the technology yet they have to wait for a few clouds to get out of the way??

Yes. Look up the launch of Apollo 12 to find out why.

Quoting Pope (Reply 25):
Do you know what the absolute saddest part about this Space Shuttle mission is? The reason why the launch window closes on the 18th is that NASA is not sure that the Shuttle's computers could handle a year end roll over while in space. That's right, the US space agency still has a Y2K problem!

The Shuttle's computers are the most reliable in the world, but they weren't designed to go from Day 365 to Day 1. NASA could have put that fix in the software, but it would have cost money and NASA generally doesn't fly the Shuttle over the holidays (mainly to give all of its employees time to be off with their families) so the Year End Rollover (YERO, not Y2K) mod was never done. The solution to the YERO problem is to reboot the computers. But rebooting all of the Shuttle's five computers is not something NASA wants to do in flight unless it has to. So NASA officially said that Dec 17-18 was the last day they could launch this year. Unofficially, they would probably have gone ahead and launched later and just rebooted the computers. But its a moot point now.

Quoting Pope (Reply 31):
Hey don't get me wrong. I'm all for a fully funded space program. I love space exploration and think that we need to spend more NOT less on it. But the shuttle program is literally 40 year old technology.

No, it is definitely 1970s technology, not 1960s. Look at the aforementioned computers, for example. See also the Main Engines, a generation newer than the engines used on Saturn V in the 60s. There are also the RCC panels and silica tile thermal protection system, both born in the 1970s.

Quoting Pope (Reply 31):
It was built by the lowest cost bidder.

No, it wasn't. Rockwell was chosen based on a combination of cost, technical merit, and timetable. Rockwell (North American) had previously built the X-15 and Apollo. The 'space program is from the lowest bidder" idea is a good joke, but it's just a myth.

ebj1248650

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 25):
Do you know what the absolute saddest part about this Space Shuttle mission is? The reason why the launch window closes on the 18th is that NASA is not sure that the Shuttle's computers could handle a year end roll over while in space. That's right, the US space agency still has a Y2K problem!

You HAVE to be kidding!
Dare to dream; dream big!

Boeing4ever

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 55):
You HAVE to be kidding!

That's just how it is...too many un-educated myths about the space program. This is why technology can get hampered...over-zealous media, ignorant public, and the morons in Congress to pander to both.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers  

[Edited 2006-12-11 01:04:02]