Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sinlock
Topic Author

Transformers F-22.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:32 am

The wife and I decided to watch Transformers again last night and during the end of the movie she said something that my heart swell with pride. "That dogfight was lame" Pointing out that when we saw the F-22 at the airshow it was much better.

Anyone else think the fight between Starscream and the USAF F-22s was lacking? The part where Starscream cheats and starts pulling off their wings was cool, but I'd have liked to see the 22's give him a run for his money.

checksixx

RE: Transformers F-22.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:01 pm

I tend to seperate fiction with reality...if it had been a regular dogfight that showed the F-22's get totally wasted, then I might speak up about it.

CX747

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:49 pm

I'm just dissapointed that they made Starscream a F-22. He was and should be a F-15C just like a few of his buddies.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

lehpron

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:11 pm

I'll agree not all the decipticons got their asses handed to them, in fact three of them got off scott free (or not destroyed) and the ending gave me the impression of a sequel, which I would welcome. As of overlaping scifi with reality, how would we know a real F-22 would kill Starscream? The F-22's weren't fitted with Sabot rounds and didn't know about Starscream until the last minute over the city. Why and how could we expect a dogfight? As we saw during the ending credits, he left the planet.

Quoting CX747 (Reply 2):
I'm just dissapointed that they made Starscream a F-22. He was and should be a F-15C just like a few of his buddies.

Yes and bumblbee should have been a chick car  Yeah sure ...if you expected anything from this movie, then that's your problem.  Wink

This was the only movie in my life that I've seen twice in the theaters and since buying the DVD on tuesday, seen it over 14 times (skip ahead to the robot scenes). I'm not a transformers fan, though when I was 5yrs old I did watch the original cartoon and I had the original Starscream and Optipus prime transformer toys, which I've long since lost. But nothing since, so I wasn't expecting anything, and Optimus Prime was the only name I remembered.

You bet if they make a live action version of Thundercats, I'm going to see it, it's good that I barely remember any of those characters.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Zkpilot

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting Sinlock (Thread starter):
The wife and I decided to watch Transformers again last night and during the end of the movie she said something that my heart swell with pride. "That dogfight was lame" Pointing out that when we saw the F-22 at the airshow it was much better.

Anyone else think the fight between Starscream and the USAF F-22s was lacking? The part where Starscream cheats and starts pulling off their wings was cool, but I'd have liked to see the 22's give him a run for his money.

Yeah it was pretty lame just a bit of side to side movement but nothing much... no pulling right back on the speed or sharp turns around buildings etc.

They didn't stand a chance as they didn't have those high-temp rounds... be interesting what effect a missile would have tho.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

opso1

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:24 am

You all do know that it is a fiction movie, not a documentry?  Big grin

Devilfish

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:34 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 3):
But nothing since, so I wasn't expecting anything, and Optimus Prime was the only name I remembered.

Well, no doubt you're aware of these latest aspirational morphing toys.....  Smile

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...changing-uav-morphs-in-flight.html

Quote:
"NextGen Aeronautics has completed the first autonomous flights of a morphing unmanned air vehicle. The MFX-2 technology demonstrator UAV is capable of independently varying wing area and sweep.

The tests are part of a US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency-sponsored demonstration of morphing technology for a hunter-killer UAV combining the loiter endurance of a surveillance platform with the high-speed dash capability of an attack aircraft.

[.....]

An articulating structure and flexible skin enables a 40% change in wing area, 73% change in span and 177% change in aspect ratio, says NextGen. Unlike conventional variable-geometry wings, morphing allows area and sweep to be varied independently to optimise the configuration for multiple flight regimes.

[.....]

One goal of the DARPA programme is to demonstrate fast morphing for aggressive manoeuvring, and NextGen says the turn-radius ratio between extreme configurations was well above two, meaning that morphing more than doubled the turn performance."

Quoting Opso1 (Reply 5):
You all do know that it is a fiction movie, not a documentry?

Although this DARPA production is located in California, it's not being shot in Hollywood.  Wink
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

grandtheftaero

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting Sinlock (Thread starter):
I'd have liked to see the 22's give him a run for his money.

Really?

F-22 = Early 1980s ideas executed with late 1990s technology.

Starscream = Autonomous transforming alien robot.

I'd put my money on Starscream anyday.