Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RacingGreen07
Topic Author

RAF Navigator Ejects Over Norfolk

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm

Quote:
A search operation to find a navigator who ejected from an RAF Tornado fighter plane over Norfolk has been called off.

It is understood the aircraft landed safely at its RAF Marham base after the incident and the ejector seat was found near the Sandringham estate.

They called the search of pretty quick. Maybe because they knew that it was a slim chance he was alive. After all he did eject upside down. Do Tornado ejector seats have any kind of propulsion system that could turn the seat upright? Maybe the G-Force of that would be too high...

Well anyway there will be a press conference from the MOD at 2000GMT. I fear the worst yet I will pray for the best.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7095214.stm

UPDATE: Sky news reports the navigator has been found dead. My condolences to the family...

[Edited 2007-11-14 11:35:13]
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

PADSpot

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Thread starter):
Do Tornado ejector seats have any kind of propulsion system that could turn the seat upright?

No, the Tornado's Martin Baker Mk10A can't do that, but it's anyway something you only need when at really low altitudes. Once you have a certain altitude and the seat deceleration chute deploys gravity and drag will do the rest. The Russian K-36 is somewhat unique in that regard.

highlander0

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:08 pm

Sad news.
Link to BBC News

More news on pprune.

ua935

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:16 pm

This is a very sad and unfortunate incident.

It is reported that the seat did not fire, it came away from the rails when the aircraft was inverted.

An RAF armourer was called to the scene where the seat was found to make it safe.
Live every second like you mean it

PADSpot

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:21 pm

Strange. No indication on why he actually ejected and why the parachute apparently did not deploy. Sounds almost like ... no I better don't say that. We better wait until tomorrows press conference.

RIP

edit:typo

[Edited 2007-11-14 12:22:12]

flipdewaf

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting UA935 (Reply 3):

Does that mean (in laymans terms) that it might have just fallen out? Was this a BAe systems plane or an RAF one?

Fred

RacingGreen07
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting Flipdewaf (Reply 5):
Does that mean (in laymans terms) that it might have just fallen out? Was this a BAe systems plane or an RAF one?

Well it was some kind of test flight...maybe a valuable piece of equipment failed. But surely test flights have checks which are more stringent seeing as how they are experimental.
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

opso1

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:24 pm

RIP- we'll raise a glass to you in the Mess...

OPSO1

7LBAC111

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Flipdewaf (Reply 5):

I believe it was an RAF plane being flown by BAE Systems test crew. I need to double check, but I think the aircraft left here (BAE Systems in Warton where I work) around 2.30 yesterday. Very sad indeed - I watched it leave.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

a5ecretagenda

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:30 pm

Very very sad news.

I work at BAE Systems Warton and we recieved an email from our Communications department saying that the Tornado was being flown from Marham. It would have been a test flight following maintenance under the ATTAC contract we have with the RAF.

Bongodog1964

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:04 pm

As ejection is purely a method of exiting from a stricken aircraft; something is obviously not quite right about the whole thing; and I feel that speculation as to the circumstances isn't really fair at present to any of the involved parties.

redflyer

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 4):
No indication on why he actually ejected

Wouldn't an "eject" in one seat also activate the ejection firing sequence in the other occupant's seat as well?

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 4):
Sounds almost like ... no I better don't say that

Go ahead, say the obvious...
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

PADSpot

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 11):

Wouldn't an "eject" in one seat also activate the ejection firing sequence in the other occupant's seat as well?

The Tornado has got a "Command Ejection Lever" in the front cockpit which can be set to either "Both" or "Rear". When set to "Both" either occupant can pull the handle and both are ejected (rear first, then front). When set to "Rear" the rear occupant can only eject himself, but the pilot still ejects both. The latter setting is usually used when flying with non-professional passengers.

It's a bit different on other aircrafts, the F-4F has got a similar lever, but a different logic ...

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 11):
Go ahead, say the obvious...

No I don't want to speculate on a suicide here. That would be disrespectful. But when someone in the rear cockpit ejects himself without obvious reason and is later found dead while not been seen attached to a chute, then it is one obvious option that comes to mind.

But anyway ... ejecting from a fighter jet bears in any case a relatively high risk of not surviving it. There are lot of other things that could have happened.

[Edited 2007-11-16 00:04:40]

F27Friendship

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:28 pm

but wasn't the seat still armed?

high_flyr69

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:43 pm

The idea of suicide should be put to rest, as the crew were professional it is almost certain the command eject lever was set to both, therefore the pilot would have been punched out as well. I believe it is very likely that one of the many sub systems in the seat relating to the rails could have failed. There is alot of lockwiring in ejection seats and one breakage could lead to any number or screws coming loose.
Condolences to his family, the RAF and BAe on this sad occasion
cheers
high_flyr69
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggy' until you find the shot gun

PADSpot

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 13):
but wasn't the seat still armed?

How would the seat separate from the aircraft then?

Quoting High_flyr69 (Reply 14):
The idea of suicide should be put to rest, as the crew were professional it is almost certain the command eject lever was set to both, therefore the pilot would have been punched out as well.

I really hope it is not, because it could only indicate additional hardships that were suffered before. Nothing happens without reason ...

I don't know the qualification of the backseater and what the rules are concerning the setting of the lever.

Quoting High_flyr69 (Reply 14):
believe it is very likely that one of the many sub systems in the seat relating to the rails could have failed. There is alot of lockwiring in ejection seats and one breakage could lead to any number or screws coming loose.

That does not explain why he was apparently not attached to a parachute, even if the seat accidentally ejected ...

F27Friendship

RE: RAF Navigator Ejects Over Norfolk

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 15):
How would the seat separate from the aircraft then?

that would be my next question, but please re-read the quote below

Quoting UA935 (Reply 3):
It is reported that the seat did not fire, it came away from the rails when the aircraft was inverted.

An RAF armourer was called to the scene where the seat was found to make it safe.

seams it didn;t fire..