Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cannibalz3
Topic Author

The Mechanics Of International Excercises?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:03 pm

There are so many pictures on Anet of international exercises.....the Indian Sukhois in France, American F-15s in Thailand, EU member nation aircraft all over Europe.

I was wondering how these exercises are put together. Who initiates them? Who plans them out? Who pays?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jan Jorgensen
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tom Sunley

ebj1248650

RE: The Mechanics Of International Excercises?

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:54 am

I suspect ... and frankly I'm guessing here ... that these things are initiated outside of military circles, though prompted by military commanders at the highest levels. Thus the government of France, for example, would send diplomats to explore the possibility of a joint exercise, to be conducted in India. While the diplomat may not come right out and say this, the Frence commanders want to know how their planes would fair against the best the Indian AF is flying. The government of India, for its part, finds the idea interesting, at the least, and government heads enter into discusstions with military heads to give thought to lessons to be learned, security risks, etc. These talks concluded, the government then advises the French that further talks should take place and that there is the "possibility" such an exercise could take place. Further talks lead to an agreement to conduct the exercise and still further talks iron out the details.

Details would be quite different when your talking US/Thai joint exercises since the US had ... and may still have ... bases in Thailand and joint exercises may be common but not spoken about much.

Let those who know what really happens and are able to shoot holes in my theory begin loading their weapons. Meanwhile, I'm going to practice ducking bullets ... or anything else that comes flying my way!  Smile
Dare to dream; dream big!

cannibalz3
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Come on, anybody? I know some of you have participated in these things

wrighbrothers

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:25 pm

Quoting Cannibalz3 (Thread starter):
I was wondering how these exercises are put together. Who initiates them? Who plans them out? Who pays?

International Exercises are usualy between politically and historically connected countries (so for example the UK armed forces have big exercises in Germany, partly because of us being part of NATO, partly because of us having bases over there and past cold-war military tie ups which still remain).

They are put together by the high up officers of each countries military and they liase with each other about dates, plans, budgets etc and finnaly come to an agreement.

Who pays ? the tax payer ofcourse !

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..