Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dragon6172
Topic Author

Chinook Vid

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Did a search and could not find if this had been posted before. Rather interesting I would say. When we had helo's with missing struts we would put them down on mattress's piled up.

HaveBlue

RE: Chinook Vid

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Just saw this the other day, nice video and glad they got it down ok.

UH60FtRucker

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:46 am

A good friend and coworker of mine, was involved in a mid-air collision between a UH-60 and OH-58A/C (he was in the OH-58). While flying at night, they collided on approach into an LZ, and the UH-60's main rotor severed on of the OH-58's landing struts.

Both aircraft remained airworthy, but because it was at night he did not know that his landing strut had been severed. Every time he attempted to land, the aircraft would severely lean to one side. So he brought it over to a slope, and landed the aircraft on the slope to compensate for the missing strut!

---------------------

Or in another scenario, what do you do when your nose gear doesn't come down? Have some grunts pull it down!

-UH60

arluna

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:28 am

A great video!!!

I spent 18 months in Viet Nam as a crew chief on a Chinook and the only time I saw an attempt to use mattresses resulted in the mattresses being blown all over the ramp and the helo landing on it's belly anyway.

My main concern in the above situation would be the hook going into ground resonance on the final touchdown.

J

dragon6172
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Quoting Arluna (Reply 3):
I spent 18 months in Viet Nam as a crew chief on a Chinook and the only time I saw an attempt to use mattresses resulted in the mattresses being blown all over the ramp and the helo landing on it's belly anyway.

I guess us Marines thought of that, we always strapped our mattresses to the ground.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 2):
Or in another scenario, what do you do when your nose gear doesn't come down? Have some grunts pull it down!

I do not think those flight line mechanics would appreciate being called grunts.

jgarrido

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:55 am

My supervisor, a former jar, said he watched a ch46 pilot convince a squad of grunts that the helo, their ride back to base, needed to be "push started". After they got it rolling the pilot gave the APU a start and the grunts patted each other and back and piled back in.

UH60FtRucker

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:27 am

Quoting Jgarrido (Reply 5):
My supervisor, a former jar, said he watched a ch46 pilot convince a squad of grunts that the helo, their ride back to base, needed to be "push started". After they got it rolling the pilot gave the APU a start and the grunts patted each other and back and piled back in.

Ehhh... he probably was just recycling an old story. That story has been around since Viet Nam. The truth is, just as almost every helicopter pilot has heard those stories, so has almost every grunt! So it's pretty futile to try and get them to play along.

Whether it's pushing starting the helo, or making them pump the APU (and when they slow down out of exhaustion you drop the collective and watch them find new strength!) they're all urban myths now. Kinda like trying to convince the new guy to go get a bucket of prop wash, or recharge the slime lights... no one is dumb enough to play along, any more.  Sad

-UH60

jgarrido

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 6):
Ehhh... he probably was just recycling an old story. That story has been around since Viet Nam. The truth is, just as almost every helicopter pilot has heard those stories, so has almost every grunt! So it's pretty futile to try and get them to play along.

Could be, but we are talking 25+ years ago. I still like to think he saw it happen, even if I never will.  Sad

jarheadk5

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 am

Thread revival!

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 6):
Whether it's pushing starting the helo, or making them pump the APU (and when they slow down out of exhaustion you drop the collective and watch them find new strength!) they're all urban myths now.

I did the pumping-the-APU deal with some new Grunts in 2002. Great fun, and NOT an urban legend! Marine aircrews have been doing that sort of stuff forever, and likely won't ever stop. The Grunts would definitely repay the favor if the right situation presented itself...

BTW - buckets of rotorwash/propwash, xxFt. of flightline, exhaust samples, gust lock keys, pneumatic fluid, K9P, ID-10T and BA-1100N forms, etc... they're all alive and well in some communities. Tradition, you know...

dl767captain

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:11 pm

That's amazing piloting! I don't even know how you could remain that steady while hovering, especially the second vid!!!

fumanchewd

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Where is the guy in the hot pants at @ 2:02 going? Back to Reno?

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 10):

lol... those "hot pants" are standard issue PT (physical training) shorts! He's also wearing the standard issue PT coat, and a kevlar helmet.

lol, I guess I never really considered how ridiculous we might look to people outside the military!

-UH60

Curt22

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:17 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 11):
those "hot pants" are standard issue PT (physical training) shorts! He's also wearing the standard issue PT coat, and a kevlar helmet.

lol, I guess I never really considered how ridiculous we might look to people outside the military!

I used to think the old tan colored UDT issued shorts and a black tee-shirt with boots was a fashion statement (back when I could still fit into them), and was surprised the wife (and come to think of it, all the other women I've known) didn't see it that way!

ah64Dmech

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:35 am

Quoting JarheadK5 (Reply 8):
BTW - buckets of rotorwash/propwash, xxFt. of flightline, exhaust samples, gust lock keys, pneumatic fluid, K9P, ID-10T and BA-1100N forms, etc... they're all alive and well in some communities. Tradition, you know...

Yes indeed, just did the exhaust sample the other day to some new guy, quite hilarious seeing someone trying to fill a garbage bag with APU exhaust. My personal favorite.