Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dandy_don
Topic Author

Pilots Losing Multiple Planes

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 am

My question relates to John McCain. I, of course, am aware that he "lost" a plane in the Forrestal incident and than another when he was shot down. I was not aware until recently that he was involved in 3 previous non-combat events that lost planes.

His political opponents are beginning to use this info to imply that he actually wasn't a very good pilot.

My question is this. Was it (is it) unusual for a pilot to be involved in multiple "accidents" that result in a lost airframe? And is this a reflection of a pilot's skill level?

bhmbaglock

RE: Pilots Losing Multiple Planes

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:38 am

Quoting Dandy_don (Thread starter):
Was it (is it) unusual for a pilot to be involved in multiple "accidents" that result in a lost airframe?

Unusual, yes. Unheard of, no. I personally know two people who have lost three airframes each. I've never flown with one as he left flying long ago and went to the dark side(lawyer). The other is as good as they come and in his defense, two were combat losses in Vietnam, first a Huey, second a Chinook.

And is this a reflection of a pilot's skill level?

Not necessarily.

WarRI1

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:03 am

I think the old saying comes into play here " I would rather be lucky than good" I do not know how good an aviator John McCain was, but he is a lucky man all in all, most do not get that many chances. He did pay a heavy price for that luck, but, he is alive.

bingo

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 am

I googled the loses and man there are a good number of people who dont think too highly of this guy. His personal wikipedia entry says "He survived two airplane crashes and a collision with power lines". It doesnt say anything about 5 crashes. It really sounds like a good number of people have an axe to grind with him. Since all the information appears to be tainted...Unless someone credible flew with him, I guess no one really has a leg to stand on in judging his abilities.

My own personal thoughts are that if he did survive that many things...he's either really lucky or really good.

moriarty

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 am

The two crashes that Jas 39 Gripen had during its testphase was piloted by the same person both times. And of course this raised some questions, especially when both crashes involved problems with flight control software and how the pilot handled it.

curlyheadboy

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 am

I personally know a former F-104 pilot here in Italy that ejected twice. The first time he had an engine failure and bailed out over the sea, he was rescued without major injuries, the second he had a split-flap condition upon landing and punched out at a very low altitude, he hit the tarmac hard and sustained serious injuries to his back and legs that ended his flying career.

CaptOveur

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:38 pm

His political opponents are beginning to use this info to imply that he actually wasn't a very good pilot.

That right there should tell you all you need to know.

With all his years in politics previously, nobody accused him of being a bad pilot. Now he is running for President, and it comes out.

As some other people on this thread have said, unless someone who has actually flown with him can say he was a bad pilot, I would say it is all bull. He may not have been a *great* pilot, and being Navy royalty might have helped him getting into the Naval Academy and a lot of other things.. I just don't think anyone bends the rules on who gets to fly very expensive airplanes. If you are the son of someone important and a doofus, you get a job on an admiral's staff.

One was a loss to a rocket while still on the deck- I hardly call that his fault.

The second was being shot down- It happened to a lot of very good pilots, including the Navy's first Ace in Vietnam.

Does anyone have details on the other 3 incidents?

gsosbee

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:47 pm

There were pilots in Viet Nam who lost multiple aircraft in one day. Neither democratic candidate can say anything - they did not serve.

MDorBust

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting Gsosbee (Reply 7):
There were pilots in Viet Nam who lost multiple aircraft in one day

And were given the CMoH for doing so.