Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tugger
Topic Author

Carrier - The PBS Series

Thu May 01, 2008 5:31 am

So PBS is currently running a 10 part series called "Carrier" which as one would expect a series about the life on an aircraft carrier. It could be considered similar to a "reality" series but it is vastly more honest and accurate. It still plays to a certain level of drama of course since it trying to convey a compelling story that gathers veiwers but still it is very good.
Now you might winder why the post for it but I was just watching an episode with a segment on "pitching deck" flight ops and it was very good and intense. And I just got to wondering if anyone else had seen them and enjoyed them too. The rest of the series is good but its only the parts on flight ops that really interest me. Watching the reactions of the pilots, their superiors, the flight controllers, etc. was interesting.

You can actually go and watch the whole thing, segment by segment (each one focuses on a different topic or part of the life on board) here: http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/full_episodes.htm

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

VonRichtofen

RE: Carrier - The PBS Series

Thu May 01, 2008 8:13 am

It's a great series. Really shows you what life on a carrier is really like vs. the hollywood version. PBS in my opinion has the best documentaries on cable TV bar none.

TedTAce

Thu May 01, 2008 9:14 am

I just watched the first episode, cool stuff.

Mel Gibson/Icon Interesting  Smile
This space intentionally left blank

curlyheadboy

Thu May 01, 2008 11:30 am

Very interesting documentary, watched all the internet-released episodes, great footage! As an aviation nut I just have to complain about the fact that they focus mainly on the crew's personal lives rather than showing details of the OPS... but I guess that's what the mainstream public is interested in, let alone disclosing classified information. Also, looking at the flightdeck.... jeez, how I miss the Tomcats...  cry 
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

zanl188

Fri May 02, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting Tugger (Thread starter):
Now you might winder why the post for it but I was just watching an episode with a segment on "pitching deck" flight ops and it was very good and intense.

Yeah the pitching deck sequence was pretty amazing. A ship that big with the deck moving that much... well I was getting queasy just watching it....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

comorin

Fri May 02, 2008 1:09 am

Kindly use the word 'Amazing' when describing this series  praise  I watched it in HD last night and couldn't get enough of it. I loved the mix of Ops and Human stuff - just right. That pitching deck at night - pilotage of the highest order. I can now see the basis for BS 'Galactica' and it's crew!

osiris30

Fri May 02, 2008 4:55 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 5):
Kindly use the word 'Amazing' when describing this series I watched it in HD last night and couldn't get enough of it. I loved the mix of Ops and Human stuff - just right. That pitching deck at night - pilotage of the highest order. I can now see the basis for BS 'Galactica' and it's crew!

Agreed. Frankly, (as I've told numerous folks) this is possibly the best thing I've ever seen on PBS. To call it a masterpiece I don't think is an overstatement. The 'reality' of it all is what made it great for me, sure the jets are fantastic, but it's watchable for more than just us pure aircraft geeks and that makes it great.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

phxplanes

Fri May 02, 2008 6:33 am

I watched every episode and just like everyone else is saying I thought it was a great series, very interesting. Personally I think everyone in the US should watch it to see what the people in the Navy go through out their.

comorin

Fri May 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Question - I presume those were Hornets and not Super Hornets? - thanks.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 8):

Super Hornets have been aboard the Nimitz for about 5 years now. In fact I believe they were the aircraft doing the tanking duty in the show.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20030401/ai_n14549546

Quote:
The Nimitz, which is expected to arrive in the Gulf early this month, carries about a dozen of the F-series Super Hornets and is the first of the Navy's 12 active-duty carriers to deploy with the new aircraft.

There are even pics of the Super Hornet's in A.net (Courtesy of Carsten Bauer):
https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...y/Grumman-EA-6B-Prowler/0942335/M/
https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...vy/Boeing-F-A-18E-Super/0943356/M/

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 4):
Yeah the pitching deck sequence was pretty amazing. A ship that big with the deck moving that much... well I was getting queasy just watching it....

That was what first caught my eye while flipping the channels, watching the horizon move soo damn much. The crew were all commenting on how they just don't often feel the sea move the ship that much. And it looked to be nice weather.
My favorite part was the end when the "old dog", the senior pilot who had taken the tanking aircraft (actually pulled the standing pilot from the plane just before duty) because he knew how tough it was and because he was retiring after this deployment and wanted a last time doing it. He was the last aircraft to return and all the other pilots and controllers were watching him making bets he would bolter but then he just nailed it perfectly.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

curlyheadboy

Fri May 02, 2008 5:22 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 9):
My favorite part was the end when the "old dog", the senior pilot who had taken the tanking aircraft (actually pulled the standing pilot from the plane just before duty) because he knew how tough it was and because he was retiring after this deployment and wanted a last time doing it. He was the last aircraft to return and all the other pilots and controllers were watching him making bets he would bolter but then he just nailed it perfectly.

Absolutely, loved it! The man is amazing, he's so calm and sober in his statements, loved when they watch "Top Gun" on TV, the difference between the redneck pilots that the movie depicted and the real ones is huge!
Also found very touching the part when that other pilot has problems refuelling over Iraq and has to divert to Baghdad, blows a tire on landing and he's punished. I really felt for him, can't imagine how bad he must have felt...

Oroka

Fri May 02, 2008 6:12 pm

I have cought a few episodes of it, it is really well done. You can buy the whole series for $40 on DVD! If they offered it on blu-ray, I would be all over it.

KBOS

Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 pm

One thing I noticed while watching the series was the large number of airplanes on the Nimitz that had NH on the tail. Are all those planes from the New Hampshire Air National Guard or is there a different meaning? All and all it was must see TV for me all week.
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

comorin

Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 pm

It was pretty awful watching our seaman return home to his pregnant girlfriend and get dumped. Do you think the baby was his, even though the g/f insists so?

curlyheadboy

Fri May 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Quoting KBOS (Reply 12):
One thing I noticed while watching the series was the large number of airplanes on the Nimitz that had NH on the tail. Are all those planes from the New Hampshire Air National Guard or is there a different meaning?

Think they're from Strike Fighter Squadrons 14 and 41 (VFA-14 and VFA-41), they both have NH tail markings on their jets. AFAIK, ANG aircrafts don't operate from carriers, just USN and USMC.

UltimateDelta

Fri May 02, 2008 9:50 pm

I've watched a couple of episodes, and because of that I am considering buying the DVD set eventually. It is very well done.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

studedave

Fri May 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes, this has been a most interesting series to watch. I think I'm really gonna miss all that stuff when I retire this August!!! Or maybe not. It shows just how much 'fun' can be had on Cruise. Way back in the day it was worse then what you see- we didn't have email!!! I'm thinking I need to get the DVDs so I can sit my family down and make them watch what it is I've been through during my six deployments. Just seeing what they'll see onboard the xUSS Midway isn't going to cut it.

Quoting CURLYHEADBOY (Reply 14):
Quoting KBOS (Reply 12):
One thing I noticed while watching the series was the large number of airplanes on the Nimitz that had NH on the tail. Are all those planes from the New Hampshire Air National Guard or is there a different meaning?

Think they're from Strike Fighter Squadrons 14 and 41 (VFA-14 and VFA-41), they both have NH tail markings on their jets. AFAIK, ANG aircrafts don't operate from carriers, just USN and USMC.

'NH' would be the code for all of Nimitz's current AirWing- CAG 11. If the Squadron changes Air Wings, they'll change tail codes. It happens every now and then...
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

Mike89406

Sat May 03, 2008 5:15 am

Quoting StudeDave (Reply 16):
Quoting KBOS (Reply 12):

'NH' would be the code for all of Nimitz's current AirWing- CAG 11. If the Squadron changes Air Wings, they'll change tail codes. It happens every now and then...

Yep It seems IIRC NH's, NK, or N's in general are west coast deployed carrier groups. WHen I used to deploy on the carrier I was on east coast deployed carriers which had the A designation (AE, AG. AA etc..)

I can't remember what the N or the A designation actually stood for.

VonRichtofen

Sat May 03, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 13):
It was pretty awful watching our seaman return home to his pregnant girlfriend and get dumped. Do you think the baby was his, even though the g/f insists so?

I'd totally be asking for a DNA test if I was that guy. That chick seemed like a total flake. God knows who's kid it is. Might even be his roomates LOL.

KBOS

Sat May 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 17):
Yep It seems IIRC NH's, NK, or N's in general are west coast deployed carrier groups. WHen I used to deploy on the carrier I was on east coast deployed carriers which had the A designation (AE, AG. AA etc..)

I can't remember what the N or the A designation actually stood for.

Thanks!

I didn't think they had anything like that tooling around New Hampshire. I would have had to made a trip up there!
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

comorin

Sun May 04, 2008 2:47 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 18):
Quoting Comorin (Reply 13):

I'd totally be asking for a DNA test if I was that guy. That chick seemed like a total flake. God knows who's kid it is. Might even be his roomates LOL.

I don't think he really wanted to find out - hopelessly hanging on....

ulfinator

Sun May 04, 2008 7:20 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 8):

They were both...From the Carrier Webpage:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/air_wing_11.htm

VFA-14 "Tophatters" F/A-18E Super Hornet (Single Seat)

VFA-41 "Black Aces" F/A-18F Super Hornet (Two seater)

VFA-94 "Mighty Shrikes" F/A-18C Hornet

VMFA-232 "Red Devils" F/A-18C Hornet

For those that don't know there is a really easy way to tell the Hornet from the Super Hornet.

Look at the Intakes:

Hornet has rounded intakes:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Anthony Osborne

Super Hornet has rectangular intakes:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Neil Jones - Angels-20

CX747

Sun May 04, 2008 9:53 pm

This is definitley some of the best t.v. I have ever seen. One has to feel for the "ordie" who is trying to do the right thing with his pregnant g/f but ends up getting the boot. Tough break there. Some of the best footage was the "Bolter" scene with VFA-41's skipper taking the tanker aircraft from a nugget. When one realizes what was on the line, you have to respect the heck out of him. I wish there were more bosses out there that would put their ass on the line rather than yours.

One thing that is frustrating is the lack of bomb dropping etc. The Air Wing shows up to the AOR and doesn't drop a single munition for their entire stay.

Does anyone know the reason why VFA-14 "Tophatters" have little or no coverage? It seems that VFA-41, VFA-94 and VMFA-232 get all the coverage. The directors also seem to forget that there was an EA-6B Prowler squadron, E2-C squadron and SH-60 squadron deployed on the boat.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

comorin

Mon May 05, 2008 12:23 am

Quoting Ulfinator (Reply 21):

Thanks for pointing it out! I didn't look up the site as I haven't seen the whole series.

One more question, please - What exactly is the role of the Marines on a Carrier? - they also seem to have their own aircraft. I thought Marines were 'soldiers on ships' and took part in amphibious assault - right?

DeltaGuy

Mon May 05, 2008 2:46 am

ANG guys wouldn't be caught dead on the boat! It's merely an airwing tailcode!

Quoting Comorin (Reply 23):
One more question, please - What exactly is the role of the Marines on a Carrier? - they also seem to have their own aircraft. I thought Marines were 'soldiers on ships' and took part in amphibious assault - right?

The marines have always had a presence with the boat, for years...with the demise of the A-6 community, the Marines came aboard every air wing to replace that loss. It's only A or C model squadrons.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Mike89406

Mon May 05, 2008 4:06 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 23):

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 24):
The marines have always had a presence with the boat, for years...with the demise of the A-6 community, the Marines came aboard every air wing to replace that loss. It's only A or C model squadrons.

DeltaGuy
The Marines have a an Air Force of they're own as well although smaller than the Navy they have operated F-18 legacy models, EA-6B Prowlers that do deploy on carriers. The Pilots, Commissioned Officers, Maintenance Technicians go to the same basic schools with the Navy but they have some Marine Air Bases and some Marines are stationed in Navy squadrons as well as Navy personnel are also assigned to some Marine Squadrons so you can say we work closer to the Marines than some people realize, and they also have land deployable aviation squadrons as well.

They do operate some other Aircraft that are just for Marine operations though (Helo's C-130's. AV-8 Harriers etc.) But yeah the main mission of Marines is soldiers besides the aviation units,
https://www.airliners.net/search/phot...truecount=false&engine_version=6.0

[Edited 2008-05-04 21:11:38]

ulfinator

Mon May 05, 2008 3:21 pm

So last night I was watching and notice something interesting about the Hornet catapult launches. When a Hornet goes off both rudders are deflected inboard. You want see it in the below picture.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Neil Jones - Angels-20

Anyone know why it does that? I assume that it is something the avionics does automatically during as part of the hands off launch but I am not sure why. Perhaps it is a way of making sure yaw is neutralized on launch?

desertjets

Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 pm

I've only caught bits and pieces of the series, so I have not had the opportunity to watch it in its entirety. But I found it thus far to be really interesting. Particularly the very differing personal feelings that the aviators and sailors have about the war, their mission, and the fact that were not dropping any bombs.

I was glad that they took sometime to highlight the mission of the other ships in the strike group (the Princeton, Chafee, and I forgot the 4th ship). While a CSG is still mainly tasked with providing air power its ability to provide sea presence is pretty impressive.

Though I do wonder what happened to the young F/A-18E pilot that got low on gas and had to divert to Bagdad. Seems after that incident he had very little to do.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

vzlet

Mon May 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting Ulfinator (Reply 26):
When a Hornet goes off both rudders are deflected inboard.

Because the vertical stabilizers angle outward, deflecting the rudders in functions like a small additional amount of "up" elevator, helping to raise the plane's nose.
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

ulfinator

Mon May 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Quoting Vzlet (Reply 28):
Because the vertical stabilizers angle outward, deflecting the rudders in functions like a small additional amount of "up" elevator, helping to raise the plane's nose.

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks.

kmh1956

Mon May 05, 2008 10:40 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 18):
I'd totally be asking for a DNA test if I was that guy. That chick seemed like a total flake.

I felt so bad for that kid....21 years old, ready to step up and take responsibility, seemed to really love the g/f...I wanted to smack her during the final episode. (Along with the husband who had to be taken to court to allow his kids to go on the Tiger cruise with mom)

I watched the whole series twice.....Rocky Mountain PBS re-ran it on Saturday and Sunday afternoon (don't know why we're getting Rocky Mountain PBS in BDA, but I ain't complaining). I thought the series fascinating and very well done and was delighted to see it was NOT a 10-part recruitment film!! Showing the human side of things really puts into perspective what these people have to deal with on a daily basis...
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Mike89406

Tue May 06, 2008 5:34 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 30):
I felt so bad for that kid....21 years old, ready to step up and take responsibility, seemed to really love the g/f...I wanted to smack her during the final episode. (Along with the husband who had to be taken to court to allow his kids to go on the Tiger cruise with mom)

Its unfortunate this happened, and that he was trying be a father. It's hard for these young men that have a lot of responsibilty at work and want to have a better life. Some of those devious women have no business being mothers in my opinion. But I have seen some really cold hearted women during my time in the service and what they have done to co-workers or people I knew, and it makes me glad I waited to have a family I consider myself very fortunate that I have a wife who understands my job and sticks with me.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 30):
I thought the series fascinating and very well done and was delighted to see it was NOT a 10-part recruitment film!! Showing the human side of things really puts into perspective what these people have to deal with on a daily basis...

I know this isn't the first time that carrier ops has been filmed I know when I was on cruise a Discovery Channel film-crew came onboard to do the same type of films, Even though I worked around aircraft on a carrier everyday on deployment it never gets old seeing this footage. You get to see how demanding and skilled you have to be a Naval Aviator and the movie Top Gun definately doesn't do it justice. It seems to be pretty popular anyways but I know the Discovery Channel likes showing military aviation, however I was quite impressed with PBS's presentation.

[Edited 2008-05-05 22:59:03]

flybulldog

Tue May 06, 2008 5:56 pm

I knew that she didn't want anything to do with him. You could hear it in her voice on the phone.

Does anyone know what happened to the pilot who was put on probation for having to land in Baghad because he ran out of gas due to not being able to get the refuling boom?

bingo

Wed May 07, 2008 5:28 am

First off, for those of you who missed an episode or the whole series. http://www.pbs.org/carrier has the full episodes posted online for free.

Secondly, Chris Altice has posted some video blogs on you tube about the show and what finally happened with the baby. The video blogs are very well done and help fill in the gaps of "what happened". Here are the links of the first 4.

Blog #1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qvbmMiWZPPM

Blog#2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwFED9uzAo8

Blog#3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UD1HmFcmK_U

Blog#4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-w_Gu-YiBhw

Overall this is an amazing series. PBS has truly outdone itself again. Bravo!

UltimateDelta

Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 am

In relation to one of the episodes I missed a part of, why did the guy run around on the deck when an F-18 was landing? I mean, what was his reason? I missed the part where he explained it.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Mike89406

Thu May 08, 2008 2:34 am

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 34):
In relation to one of the episodes I missed a part of, why did the guy run around on the deck when an F-18 was landing? I mean, what was his reason? I missed the part where he explained it.

I don't remember that actual part however I know that if someone runs across the landing area during recovery operations thats a big no no. Usually they have to explain to the Air Boss what happened which is usually a one way conversation.

Venus6971

Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Quoting Ulfinator (Reply 21):
For those that don't know there is a really easy way to tell the Hornet from the Super Hornet.

Look at the Intakes:

Hornet has rounded intakes:
Super Hornet has rectangular intakes:

Another way to tell at night at a distance is the strobes, an Super bug red strobe on the vertical stab blinks red 3 times quick with a 3 second delay between flashes blink,blink,blink 1,2,3, blink,blink,blink, the smaller faster hornet is a continous blink, also the SH is bigger and has a over engineered crew broading ladder.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

bingo

Thu May 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 34):

He said he wasnt paying attention. They were saying that once they turned away from the Gulf everyone got complacent and he realized what he had done when it was too late. At that point he figured that in the event they didnt see him that he might as well keep running.

DeltaGuy

Thu May 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 36):
also the SH is bigger and has a over engineered crew broading ladder.

Gotta support that NFO's weight somehow  Wink

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

flybulldog

Wed May 14, 2008 1:05 am

I saw this update on two of the pilots from the series:

Lieutenant commander Kevin McLaughlin has served in the Navy for 19 years and has participated in four deployments. During the deployment featured in CARRIER, he served as safety officer and maintenance officer and F/A-18 pilot for Strike Fighter Squadron 94 (VFA-94), also known as “The Hoboes.” Currently, he is the organizational policy officer working at NORAD and US Northern Command in the plans, policy and strategy directorate. He was raised in California and currently resides in Colorado.

Lieutenant Alex Dietrich has served in the Navy for seven years and has participated in two deployments. During the deployment featured in CARRIER, she served as a lieutenant, junior grade, but was promoted during that deployment to lieutenant. Her combat experience during her second deployment earned her an Air Medal and she hit the milestones of a thousand hours of flight time and one hundred night traps. She is currently on “shore tour,” working as the aide to Vice Admiral Harvey, a three-star admiral who serves as the chief of naval personnel in Washington, D.C.

Is it common for pilots to end-up in shore duty? I would think that they would not be allowed to leave flight duty due to the cost to train them.

CX747

Wed May 14, 2008 1:35 am

After spending 3 years "On Deployment" you are assigned a 3 year shore tour. Glad to see Lt Dietrich stayed in the cockpit for her shore tour. 1,000hrs and 100 traps should have given her a shot at VFA-122 etc. Nothing like checking off the box "Pilot" on your way up the ladder and away fromt the pointy end of the spear. What should I expect from someone who only wanted to drop "Practice Bombs" because they were fun.

Pilot's Typical Carrer

2-3 years training.
3 years in a Deployable Squadron
3 year "Shore Tour" aka flight instructor, test pilot school, Admiral's Aide.
etc
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

flybulldog

Wed May 14, 2008 1:50 am

So what does an "Admiral's Aide" do? It sounds like it's an "intern", but I'm guessing it's a lot more prestigious.

CX747

Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 pm

An Admiral's Aide is where you go when you want to become a paper pusher and meeting attender. Basically, you work on behalf of the Admiral writing memos etc. The point of the matter is, she is no longer flying. In my opinion, her jet slot should have been given to someone who wanted to be a pilot, not grind their way through one tour and jump ship to the shoe clerk side of the house with a nifty resume builder or been there/ done that.

Mike89406

Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 am

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 39):
Lieutenant commander Kevin McLaughlin has served in the Navy for 19 years and has participated in four deployments. During the deployment featured in CARRIER, he served as safety officer and maintenance officer and F/A-18 pilot for Strike Fighter Squadron 94 (VFA-94), also known as "The Hoboes." Currently, he is the organizational policy officer working at NORAD and US Northern Command in the plans, policy and strategy directorate. He was raised in California and currently resides in Colorado.

SInce LCDR McClaughlin has somewhat of a nifty resume he did a tour as a Maintenance officer which is considered a Dept Head slot and 3rd in command behind the XO and CO his next step would be to get promoted to Commander while at NORAD may I add is a high profile and visibility position . He could of just as well accomplished the same by doing a tour in DC , and eventually become an Executive Officer (XO). He has served enough time on Sea Duty to be groomed for bigger management potential.

Having said that Is his sea time over? Of course not. When or if he becomes a XO and serve time he will serve time at sea again that is if he wants to continue getting promoted. There are several different ways he can accomplish this. He can become a XO at a small shore or sea command then CO then XO at a large command then the next step is usually work back on shore duty in Washington DC under the CNO VCNO etc.. (all the big wigs in the navy) or possibly take on CO of a Carrier, Air Boss etc... by that time he should have pinned on eagles (Captain in the Navy) then groomed for a star that is in a perfect world. If he puts on a star the most likely route of faster promotion is to become a battle group or carrier group commander where he can get possibly reach 2 stars. Of course not everyone goes this route but it is the most ideal way to rise up the ranks for the Naval Aviator.

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 39):
Lieutenant Alex Dietrich has served in the Navy for seven years and has participated in two deployments. During the deployment featured in CARRIER, she served as a lieutenant, junior grade, but was promoted during that deployment to lieutenant. Her combat experience during her second deployment earned her an Air Medal and she hit the milestones of a thousand hours of flight time and one hundred night traps. She is currently on "shore tour," working as the aide to Vice Admiral Harvey, a three-star admiral who serves as the chief of naval personnel in Washington, D.C.

She may be good pilot but I don't know her enough to make a judgement but I have to believe the PBS series helped her gain visibility at the rate she is going she'll put on gold oak leafs at a decent time-frame. Sometimes rising up the ranks and being a women can benefit them by default she may or may not stay long enough to rise up high enough but if she does she will go back to sea sooner or later.

I can't help to wonder though if the TV show punched their tickets for the bigger and better.

flybulldog

Thu May 15, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm still shocked that after all the time and money spent training them to fly jets that they would let them go do something else.

Mike89406

Thu May 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 44):
I'm still shocked that after all the time and money spent training them to fly jets that they would let them go do something else.

In Lieutenant Commander Kevin McLaughlins case 19 yrs which he probably spent mostly on deploy-able duty or sea duty but not all Navay Aircraft deploy on carriers so it depends they have more than reaped enough from him to eventuallu work him in to a command position.

Like I said earlier maybe they felt like grooming these two for future duties. The Military doesn't send everyone overseas all the time In my case I have been on shore duty when I should have been on seas duty but most people go on deployments at some point if you stay in the military. Contrary to popular belief the Navy doesn't always utilize everyone for the exact schools they attended in the enlisted field they keep me in my aviation maintenance field but there were a few times that I was assigned to a different shop. In a officers case its more likely that you will be doing everything you were schooled for.

NoUFO

Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 pm

Quoting Bingo (Reply 33):
First off, for those of you who missed an episode or the whole series. http://www.pbs.org/carrier has the full episodes posted online for free.

I saw episodes 1 through 8 online, now I wanted to watch the last two episodes, but "due to contractual reasons" I can't watch them here in Germany. That sucks. Maybe I'll try to connect to the website using an American proxy.
I support the right to arm bears

curlyheadboy

Fri May 16, 2008 9:45 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 46):
I saw episodes 1 through 8 online, now I wanted to watch the last two episodes, but "due to contractual reasons" I can't watch them here in Germany. That sucks. Maybe I'll try to connect to the website using an American proxy.

See the bright side, it likely means that they intend to air the series on TV in Germany!  Smile

flybulldog

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Quote:
Pilot's Typical Carrer

2-3 years training.
3 year "Shore Tour" aka flight instructor, test pilot school, Admiral's Aide.
etc

How long does it take someone to go from a 'shore tour' to deployable? I would imagine that there would be a lot of re-training.

Mike89406

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 am

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 48):
How long does it take someone to go from a 'shore tour' to deployable? I would imagine that there would be a lot of re-training.

A shore tour is usually 3 years, however most junior and middle ranked officers usually stay in flight status regardless of being on a shore tour as mentioned it is necessary as many taxpayers dollars are spent on them and the Navy believes in reaping the rewards of all that training from individual avaitors.

Having said that they have to maintain so many minimum flight hours while on shore tuors and even get the opportunity to go on short detachments at sea to maintain carrier qualifications IIRC unless your in the low percentile that gets an admin tour, and even then they still get some flying time eventuually depending on your duty station.

Shore based squadrons go on land and sea detachments for training purposes because shore based squadrons are generally labeled as "training squadrons".

As far as the re-training goes unless you have been away from flying that long you generally have to requalify once back in flight status to get the rust off some more time and some less. It doesn't require starting from scratch like pilot school you're already somewhat experianced in flying a type of aircraft if you know what I mean.