Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Airwolf -

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Airwolf

will there ever be a hellicopter like this one for real ? Is it even possible to build ? Has anyone tried ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf

supersonic and armed helicopter

In the show, Airwolf was an armored, stealthy aircraft. It could perform impossible maneuvers and stunts, including traveling at mach speeds (the theoretical maximum speed of a helicopter is significantly below Mach 0.5, or half the speed of sound), flying upside down, and flying into the stratosphere. Some of these impossible capabilities are explained in the show by such features as auxiliary jet engines (visible at the roots of the landing gear sponsons), rotor blades that can be disengaged for supersonic flight and a lifting body fuselage.

checksixx

RE: Airwolf -

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:45 pm

And just where are you going to put the disengaged rotor blades? How do you control the helicopter then? Its never going to happen...buy the show on DVD and leave it at that.

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Created by Donald P. Bellisario? No wonder Harmon Rabb became such a realistic superman  Wink

Blackprojects

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:40 pm

When the Rotors disengaged they do not fold up they act like an Auto Gyro so their is no need to put them any where.

Still it will probably never happen for real as it"s a Gas Guzzler and DR Moffats are thank fully few and far between.

I prefer Blue thunder for Local flights that 20MM Canon is a real Equaliser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM-PY8NWfkQ&feature=related

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Quoting Checksixx (Reply 1):
And just where are you going to put the disengaged rotor blades? How do you control the helicopter then? Its never going to happen...

No reason to take that tone...

60 years ago, people did'nt think we could walk on the moon either...

LY744

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
will there ever be a hellicopter like this one for real ? Is it even possible to build ? Has anyone tried ?

Apparently we're talking about a helicopter that can fly M2.0 at 90,000ft. This is something that only a handful of fixed wing aircraft ever achieved.

Is it possible to build? Yes, in the sense that one cannot absolutely guarantee that it's NOT possible.  Wink

Has anyone tried? Safe to say that no, no they haven't.

Will they ever build one? Probably not, because there's no point building a helicopter if you want it to do the job of a fixed wing aircraft. Think of this thing as an F-15E with VTOL capability, what's the point?

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

Mortyman
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 5):
Will they ever build one? Probably not, because there's no point building a helicopter if you want it to do the job of a fixed wing aircraft

One of the other ideas with airwolf, was that it basically looked like an odenary civilian hellicopter. It's armournment was hidden inside the hellicopter. It was a wolf in sheeps clothing... Would be nice to have...  Smile

TheSonntag

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:31 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 4):

And 39 years afte we did it, many stupid kids think the exact thing again  Sad

jetjack74

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:37 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 7):
many stupid kids think the exact thing again

Many kids don't know we've walked on the moon
Made from jets!

Nicoeddf

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 8):
Many kids don't know we've walked on the moon

Thats his point  Wink
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

checksixx

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 4):
And just where are you going to put the disengaged rotor blades? How do you control the helicopter then? Its never going to happen...

No reason to take that tone...

What 'tone'?? You asked a question and I posed some problems/questions. Don't like it, then don't ask in the first place.

zak

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Quoting LY744 (Reply 5):
Think of this thing as an F-15E with VTOL capability, what's the point?

an F-15E capable plane with full VTOL capability is about the wet dream of about every military planning staff. with this i dont mean the obvious naval and amphibious aviators, but your ordinary average army looking for the most efficient use of resources to defend ones country.
if you all of a sudden have "the whole package" of an air superiority and strike capable craft with all weather capability etc wrapped into a package that does not need an airport anymore, you tip over about a thousand domino pieces that can be used more efficiently or are not required anymore at all.
the implications a fully capable all vtol airforce would have are staggering and would likely result in a vastly different even on the strategical approach of a conflict, not only tactically.
10=2

MissedApproach

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting LY744 (Reply 5):
Apparently we're talking about a helicopter that can fly M2.0 at 90,000ft.

The real question is, could it take off from a conveyor belt?  Yeah sure

I seriously doubt that a supersonic helicopter is possible, since at transonic speeds, the advancing blade would be supersonic & the retreating blade subsonic. How would supersonic shockwaves affect the rotor dynamics?
Can you hear me now?

2H4

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
flying upside down

Certain helicopters can already fly upside-down. I watched one do so yesterday.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Mortyman
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:04 am

Quoting Checksixx (Reply 10):
What 'tone'?? You asked a question and I posed some problems/questions. Don't like it, then don't ask in the first place.

I though this comment was a bit unessesery:

buy the show on DVD and leave it at that.

You seem to have a problem with me asking:

And just where are you going to put the disengaged rotor blades? How do you control the helicopter then?

L-188

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:39 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 6):
One of the other ideas with airwolf, was that it basically looked like an odenary civilian hellicopter. It's armournment was hidden inside the hellicopter. It was a wolf in sheeps clothing... Would be nice to have...

Hey it worked for the EM-50 in "Stripes"

The basic armament concepts of airwolf are sound, however the "Boosted" supersonic flight is not, at lead not with that rotor configuration. Disengage the rotor blade and run on the turbines and all you end up with is a autogyro, hardly suitable for supersonic flight.

I know in the early 1980's the Navy and NASA where experimenting with a helicopter that had a very short wide cord blade that would lock down but it also had a fixed wing and was not supersonic.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LY744

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:47 am

Quoting Zak (Reply 11):
an F-15E capable plane with full VTOL capability is about the wet dream of about every military planning staff

Somehow I made it sound much more appealing than I intended.  Wink

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

L-188

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:30 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 16):
Quoting Zak (Reply 11):
an F-15E capable plane with full VTOL capability is about the wet dream of about every military planning staff

Somehow I made it sound much more appealing than I intended.

Sounds like that one book I can't remember the title of, it was written by the same guy who wrote, "Flight of Old Dog"

The concept was about as realistic also, but F-15 based.

Blackprojects

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:48 am

The Book your thinking of was Day of the Cheetah and the Super secret machine was Called Dream Star but it has more to do with the X-29 as it had forward swept wings.

http://www.megafortress.com/08.htm

old 

checksixx

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:30 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 14):
I though this comment was a bit unessesery:

buy the show on DVD and leave it at that.

I meant it in that we most likely won't ever see anything like that, so buy the show on DVD, which is available now...all the season's I think, and enjoy it that way. You take my words WAY to seriously.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 14):
You seem to have a problem with me asking:

And just where are you going to put the disengaged rotor blades? How do you control the helicopter then?

You didn't ask those questions, I did. If you notice, you even quoted me. The questions are valid. If you did build an aircraft like that, where would you store the disengaged rotor blades? Further, how would the helicopter be controlled after doing that? Very simple questions. Apparently you pose the question, but don't want any answers? If thats the case, please let us know.

flexo

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:52 pm

The problem with going fast in a helicopter is always the retreating blade. At a certain point its AoA will become too great and it will stall. Now, going much faster than this stall speed will be great enough to use the retreating blade "backwards".

But it is the speed in between those two that is impossible (or I guess I should say challenging) to bypass right now.

HaveBlue

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 15):
I know in the early 1980's the Navy and NASA where experimenting with a helicopter that had a very short wide cord blade that would lock down but it also had a fixed wing and was not supersonic.

That would be the Sikorsky S-72 RSRA.

L-188

Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 21):

That would be the Sikorsky S-72 RSRA.

That's the one.