KAUST
Topic Author

Did Armstrong Really Not Care About Being 1st Out?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:38 pm

I had read somethings that stated how he really just wanted to have a good mission, and a successful Moon landing, and could have cared less if he were first or not.

On the other hand, a lady at my church states he was a bully on it the issue, and even pulled rank on Buzz in order to be first out.

I would think Deke Slayton would have the final say, anyways.

So, what say you? Is Neils reputation as a very pleasant, easy-going guy still well earned?
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

zanl188

RE: Did Armstrong Really Not Care About Being 1st Out?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:30 pm

My understanding is that Armstrongs focus was really on the landing - the EVA was gravy.

The hatch was hinged on Aldrins side making it much easier for Armstrong to go out first.

Aldrin was the one campaigning to go out first, citing the precedent from Gemini where the Commander always stayed inside during EVA....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:36 pm

He had no say in who was first out, all that was established before the mission was ever launched.

NASA like the US military does things as a team and has no time for someone that is looking for personal glory.

GDB

RE: Did Armstrong Really Not Care About Being 1st

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:10 am

Reading the biography First Man (highly recommended), Armstrong does not come across as any kind of bully.
Not that the book glosses over Armstrong as a person.

As stated, the internal design of the LM meant that when suited up, whoever was standing in the CDR position, would really have to exit first, otherwise much awkward swapping around with those bulky backpacks just waiting to bust a C.B. or even hit a switch.

I believe him when he says what counted was that both were first on the Moon simultaneously, as the LM touched down.
One of the reasons we see so little of Armstrong, is his strict rationing of public appearances, he has a distain for anything he sees as 'hucksterism'.
Really, given the inevitable pressure his fame has brought, he's been pretty smart about this.

There is apparently a movie planned about Armstrong, (incredible one has not already been made).
In the running is Brad Pitt, but hopefully, another in the running, Viggo Mortesen (SP?), will get it, aside from looking a lot like Armstrong, as an actor, he has that quiet presence of Armstrong, a stillness I think they call it in the acting game.

Poor old Buzz got flak about his pressing the issue prior to launch, but that's just him, in that he had a intensity about him.
Really it was about certainty in his own mind, after all, he admitted he would be very uncomfortable with the fame, really he'd have preferred a later mission, with more science and a lot less public attention.

drexotica

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:24 pm

I was never a big fan of Buzz, but I must admit that my respect for him skyrocketted when he punch that schmo in the face that called him a coward and a liar for claiming to have actually walked on the moon.

Classic.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/123520/buzz_aldrin_sucker_punch/

[Edited 2008-07-31 10:25:06]
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

PGNCS

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:03 pm

I just have to ask: why and how would "a lady at [your] church" know anything about the crew dynamics of the Apollo 11 astronauts? Maybe reading "First Man" would be a good first step in your research.

YWG747

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:36 am

To bad they didn't end up going to the moon.

DeltaGuy

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Too bad they did, on six different missions. Twelve different lucky men.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan