Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

'2 US Aircraft Carriers Headed For Gulf'

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:58 am

Moderators: please feel free to move this thread if not posted in the right place.

I am quoting two articles. First article talks about two US aircraft carriers heading to the Gulf zone. The other article provides more details about the fleet.

'2 US aircraft carriers headed for Gulf''

Two additional United States naval aircraft carriers are heading to the Gulf and the Red Sea, according to the Kuwaiti newspaper Kuwait Times.
Currently there are two US naval battle groups operating in the Gulf: one is an aircraft carrier group, led by the USS Abraham Lincoln, which carries some 65 fighter aircraft. The other group is headed by the USS Peleliu which maintains a variety of planes and strike helicopters.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...3164&pagename=JPArticle%2FShowFull

Massive US Naval Armada Heads For Iran

The US Naval forces being assembled include the following:
Carrier Strike Group Nine
Peleliu Expeditionary Strike Group
Carrier Strike Group Two
USS Springfield (SSN761) nuclear powered hunter-killer submarine
IWO ESG ~ Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group
USS Hartfore (SSN768) nuclear powered hunter-killer submarine
Carrier Strike Group Seven

Also likely to join the battle armada:
UK Royal Navy HMS Ark Royal Carrier Strike Group
French Navy nuclear powered hunter-killer submarines (likely the Amethyste and perhaps others), plus French Naval Rafale fighter jets operating off of the USS Theodore Roosevelt as the French Carrier Charles de Gaulle is in dry dock, and assorted surface warships
Various other US Navy warships and submarines and support ships.

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/20...s-naval-armada-heads-for-iran.html
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Blackbird

RE: '2 US Aircraft Carriers Headed For Gulf'

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:09 pm

I just hope there's not going to be a draft. We have very little troops to sustain Iraq, let alone Iran... I'm worried about my brother, and I actually think they'll draft women too (And I don't want to risk my neck for Bush and his deranged wars)

I think we should just let Israel do their own dirty work. They want to kill Ahmadinejad -- let them do it and leave us out of it!

Blackbird

Beaucaire

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:21 pm

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7011874353

I don't think they want to do the job themselves..
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:27 pm

My opinion is that we should all leave Iran alone.

They have not attacked anybody. I would understand that there be retaliation in case they attack Israel but other than that I don't see any reason to attack them pre-emptively.

Israel will be the aggressor if they go in first. If they launch an attack on Iran (along with the US armada as a backup) we will be in deep trouble.

This "Iran has nukes and wants to annihilate Israel" is still not in perspective. At least not yet. If Pakistan has nukes with proper launch missiles (and so does Israel) then why shouldn't Iran have them?

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 3):
I think we should just let Israel do their own dirty work.

Beaucaire

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:35 pm

If Nethanyahu gets the PM job,it's a go for sure ..
They don't care about the rest of the world- coudn't care less about the resulting chaos worldwide !
I don't think Russia or China would just stand by and watch silently..

gsosbee

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:04 pm

I believe this is in response to Iran's threats to close the waterway if the world does not get off their backs on the nuclear issue.

Unlike Iraq before the invasion, Iran is not systematically murdering its own population.

csturdiv

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:05 pm

(And I don't want to risk my neck for Bush and his deranged wars)

I was wondering how long it would take for the loons to come out in this thread...three replies...not bad, but I had my money on an earlier appearance. Is it that hard to make a post about something without any politico bashing?
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

DeltaGuy

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 5):
At least not yet. If Pakistan has nukes with proper launch missiles (and so does Israel) then why shouldn't Iran have them?

Maybe because we have a psycho running the show over there, and we can stop him from having them before he gets the chance to use them?

We win wars for a reason, so we have the ability to say who's going to have the power in the future. You want it, you start winning wars I say.

Deltaguy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Seems that he is not running the show alone.

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 11):
Maybe because we have a psycho running the show over there

Is it not that Ahmadinejad has to report to the leading Ayatollah (sorry but I forgot his name) before he makes any decision on such serious matters?

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Gsosbee (Reply 9):
Unlike Iraq before the invasion, Iran is not systematically murdering its own population.

Since when was that ever a concern or a reson for the war in Iraq?

Ken777

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Bush/Cheney have 165 days left in office. I was hoping that we'd get through the final days without something like this happening.

If this is a blockade there might be some time for things to cool down. China is hosting the Olympics right now and won't want problems impacting that. Russia is somewhat tied up with Georgia - maybe they'll maintain a single focus.

At least the British & French are involved and might be able to keep Big George & Little Dick under control to some degree.

gsosbee

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
At least the British & French are involved and might be able to keep Big George & Little Dick under control to some degree.

We are were we are on Iran now because the European's continued appeasement. One would have thought Chamberlain's folly in 1938 would have taught the world a lesson on dealing with wackos with weapons.

[Edited 2008-08-08 14:08:36]

CX747

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Why on earth would China hosting the Olympic games have anything to do with where and how we operate our carriers and air wings? While the Reagan and Roosevelt are in route, I highly doubt that the Lincoln will stay much longer. They are already pulling double duty.

The published intent of these groups is Iran, but has anyone thought about the possibility that they are also there to increase our presence in Afghanistan? Eight more squadrons of Rhinos and Legacy Hornets can put a crunch on the strengthening Taliban.

Our forces are stretched pretty thin at the moment but allowing Iran to have nuclear weapons is not an option. Whether or not I like it, we must push forward.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 pm

me thinks the already existing nuclear weapons are in much worse hands with some of those who already have them (and are threatening to use them) than in Iran where they are only something purely speculative at this point in time.

Quoting CX747 (Reply 16):
Our forces are stretched pretty thin at the moment but allowing Iran to have nuclear weapons is not an option. Whether or not I like it, we must push forward.

MCIGuy

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Quoting Gsosbee (Reply 9):

Well I don't know, they do a lot of executions. They have no problem executing women and children for "crimes against Islam". Maybe not today, or even tomorrow, but these brutal theocracies will eventually be swept aside in the name of progress, maybe even by their own populations.
Airliners.net Moderator Team

LY744

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:48 pm

I think we should just let Israel do their own dirty work.

That's funny. Replace 'Israel' with 'U.S.' and you've got the general sentiment in Israel.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 6):
If Nethanyahu gets the PM job,it's a go for sure ..

Because that's what he did last time he was PM eh?

Quoting Flighty (Reply 7):
Maybe we should stop letting Israel control the world's largest and most powerful Navy?

Right after rescuing NYC from the grip of that gang of deranged dinosaurs.

(hint: both are equally non existent problems)

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

studedave

Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:47 am

I think everyone is forgetting something that happens every 4 months or so!!!

A change of the watch is all this is I'll bet...
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:29 am

It would be a good idea that we keep this thread on topic, i.e. carriers, fighters, naval/aerial forces and other army/navy equipment in the Gulf region.

I would not want this thread to be moved. Thanks.

hercppmx

Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:11 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
Russia is somewhat tied up with Georgia

Georgia is trying to recall it's 2000 troops home from iraq to help in the fighting with russia. Of course the US is going to beef up there presents. 2000 troops leaving Iraq and the fighting in the stan is getting worse... hmmmm... maybe there just there to reinforce the troops already fighting two fronts. And Remember this is coming from the media... the same people who always get flamed on a.net because they have the wrong information or blow little things out of proportion. Quit assuming that the ships are there for Iran unless you can support it.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

Boeing4ever

Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Talk about a thread based on pure speculation.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 17):
It would be a good idea that we keep this thread on topic, i.e. carriers, fighters, naval/aerial forces and other army/navy equipment in the Gulf region.

With all due respect your thread is little more than speculation without proper justification. We have operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. We also rotate our ships. Nuclear powered they may be, but that doesn't mean the human element can sit on station indefinately.

The presence of foreign ships in this rotation also quashes the Iran theory. I don't think the UK is foolish enough to follow Bush on another Marlboro mission. And the French especially won't hear of it...even if they're more on our side about Iran than Iraq. In fact, the presence of the French ships pretty much rules out Iran or even reinforcing Iraq, it looks like Afghanistan is in for some heavy operations, especially with fighting actually getting worse there.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

LY744

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Quoting HercPPMX (Reply 18):
Georgia is trying to recall it's 2000 troops home from iraq to help in the fighting with russia

That's an interesting story too. IIRC it's the Georgian 1st Infantry Brigade that's deployed to Iraq right now (probably minus Mech/Armoured battalion and Artillery component). The story today is that Georgia intends to recall half, i.e. 1000, of their troops. How quickly that can be done is to be seen. A question that comes to mind is, how are they going to get these troops home? Surely the USAF isn't going to let them hitch a ride on its own aircraft, don't want to be seen as taking an active part in the conflict. Georgia has none of its own airlift. Chartering a Russian (Polet/Volga) An-124-100 also seems unlikely, and the Ukraine will probably not allow ADB An-124s to be used either, for the same reasons as the U.S.

LY744.

Beaucaire

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:36 pm

They might ask their friends in Kiev for a lift..

LY744

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 21):
They might ask their friends in Kiev for a lift..

I don't think the Ukraine wants to fuel the Russian propoganda machine any more for now. They've gotten enough shit for one week (have you heard the one about Ukrainian SA-5s shooting down that Tu-22M? It's the latest craze).

LY744.

Kiwirob

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Quoting CX747 (Reply 12):
but allowing Iran to have nuclear weapons is not an option.

If that's the case then someone had better stump up the guts to remove them from Israel as well.

Beaucaire

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Quoting LY744 (Reply 22):
(have you heard the one about Ukrainian SA-5s shooting down that Tu-22M? It's the latest craze).

Why would the Georgian's need Ukrainian missiles ? They have their own air-defense stockpile using basically the same gear as Ukraine,including SA 5's ?

jgarrido

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 1):
I actually think they'll draft women too (And I don't want to risk my neck for Bush and his deranged wars)

You're too funny. Women aren't even allowed to register for the draft, let alone required. I think you're safe for the rest of the current President's term in office.

Quote:
THE LAW
Selective Service law as it's written now refers specifically to "male persons" in stating who must register and who would be drafted. For women to be required to register with Selective Service, Congress would have to amend the law.

https://www.sss.gov/FSwomen.htm

osiris30

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):

If that's the case then someone had better stump up the guts to remove them from Israel as well.

checkmark 

Nuff said really. Whether or not someone is a nut job all depends on your perspective. Israel has been allowed to get away with bloody murder (literally) over the years. (And not I'm not excusing the actions of the Palestinians either, but they are condemned for it, while Israel is patted on the back for it).

All the problems the US has today with Islamic extremists is a direct result of their support of Israel. You can argue with me all you want on this one but it won't change my opinions. If the US had kept their nose out of Israel, then the largely backwoods, uneducated Islamic populations that sign up for terror missions would have no reason to do so. (Further note: I'm not saying Islamic people are uneducated, but rather, large populations of uneducated Islamic people exist).

As for executions in Iran, let them execute however many Iranians they want. Eventually societies like that crumble. Oh and on that point, PS: Witch burning anyone?? I mean seriously, WTF is wrong with people's perspective these days :/
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

LY744

Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:39 pm

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 26):
You can argue with me all you want on this one but it won't change my opinions

ME debates on a.net in a nutshell right there.

LY744.

osiris30

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:22 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 27):
ME debates on a.net in a nutshell right there.

Hey, at least I'm honest enough to be upfront about it. And since we are all pontificating here I figured I would toss in my 2 cents.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

Mike89406

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:42 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 19):
With all due respect your thread is little more than speculation without proper justification. We have operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. We also rotate our ships. Nuclear powered they may be, but that doesn't mean the human element can sit on station indefinately.

I have to agree here this is just a normal cyclic ops of carrier battle groups I have heard nothing to suggest otherwise. When I was delpoyed to the gulf in 1998 they had the USS Independence & Nimitz on station in the Persian Gulf and my ship the USS John C Stennis relieved the Independence asthey were going back to the states to switch crews to the USS Kitty Hawk by the time we got to the gulf anthe other two ships left and it was just us there. Of course Osama Bin Laden was being watched back then.

Mike

CX747

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:45 am

The Lincoln is the only carrier on station. With the fire on the Washington, things have been flipped around slightly. The Roosevelt will be "additional" presence if you will. It would seem that once either Teddy or Ronnie show up, then Abe can head home.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

silentbob

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 26):

All the problems the US has today with Islamic extremists is a direct result of their support of Israel. You can argue with me all you want on this one but it won't change my opinions.

It's one of the reasons the extremists don't like us but it's nowhere near the sole cause of the problems. Given your ostrich-like position and overly simplistic views, it's not really worth the time and effort to document the wide variety of issues they have with us. The more accurate one phrase over-simplification would be; "All of the problems the US has today with the Islamic extremists is a direct result of the fact that we tolerate different beliefs."

CX747

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:10 am

Let's try to keep the post on topic.

Is this anything more than an equipment swap for the Lincoln? If so, why are both the Roosevelt AND Reagan heading to the area? Normally there is a 1 for 1 change over.

Mike89406

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:12 am

Quoting CX747 (Reply 32):
Let's try to keep the post on topic.

Is this anything more than an equipment swap for the Lincoln? If so, why are both the Roosevelt AND Reagan heading to the area? Normally there is a 1 for 1 change over.

Pretty much a equipment swap. Chances are one carrier will turnover with the Lincoln the other might operate in a different area unless there is a elevated threat then the second carrier would stay within a close enough proximity if needed but probably operate in another area for the time being . Chances are once the Roosevelt relieves the Lincoln, later on they will swap duties in the Gulf once the Roosevelt has been on station long enough.

studedave

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting CX747 (Reply 32):
Is this anything more than an equipment swap for the Lincoln?

See reply # 16 please... (and the updated story in the OP's link)

All I have to add is that if Reagan is indeed heading toward the Gulf, I doubt it'll stay long- that boat is covering for the Kitty Hawk / George Washington swap happening now in a port near me...

747400sp

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 am

Quoting StudeDave (Reply 34):
All I have to add is that if Reagan is indeed heading toward the Gulf, I doubt it'll stay long- that boat is covering for the Kitty Hawk / George Washington swap happening now in a port near me...

It is funny, I used to think the Reagan was going to be just a show ship that just went on deployment every now and then, but she has prove her self very well, to be a hard working carrier. She has been on deployment every year since 2006. Her an the Big E crew has been pushed hard, annd they got my respect.

johns624

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 35):
It is funny, I used to think the Reagan was going to be just a show ship that just went on deployment every now and then

You don't build Nimitz-class CVN's just for "show". Why would you think that? You're in the Navy, you should know better.

osiris30

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:55 am

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 31):
It's one of the reasons the extremists don't like us but it's nowhere near the sole cause of the problems. Given your ostrich-like position and overly simplistic views, it's not really worth the time and effort to document the wide variety of issues they have with us. The more accurate one phrase over-simplification would be; "All of the problems the US has today with the Islamic extremists is a direct result of the fact that we tolerate different beliefs."

Allow me to rephrase: What I stated earlier is the reason that the US is the most popular target of the extremists... There are lots of other places they don't like, but the US just made it real easy to be public enemy #1 by sticking their noses into places that one could argue they didn't/don't belong.

studedave

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:28 am

eyepopping   scratchchin   shhh 

We almost made it back to the topic at hand...

Yeah sure  banghead   duck 

baroque

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:27 am

Quoting Gsosbee (Reply 11):
One would have thought Chamberlain's folly in 1938 would have taught the world a lesson on dealing with wackos with weapons.

Do you actually know what Chamberlain's strategic position was in 1938? Do you know how he viewed the dangers of the US policies with regard to Japan at a time when Britain was not ready for war? How do you suppose the RAF still with biplane fighters would have gone against the Luftwaffe newly returned from Spain? The delay from early 1938 to mid 1940 made an enormous difference whatever you think of not so Nifty Nev.

snehnath

Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:23 pm