Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CTR
Topic Author

Sikorsky Management Get A Suprize Visit

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:38 pm

Suppose you are a two star USMC General.

You and your staff need to visit Sikorsky headquarters in Stafford Conn for a program review on the status of the new CH-53K.

How do make an impression on Sikorsky management they will never forget?

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 31kb
V-22 Ospreys Pay Sikorsky a Suprize Visit 081408

Arrive in style in two Bell/Boeing V-22 Ospreys!

The General told Sikorsky management that the Marines will continue to use helicopters, but that (referring to the parked Ospreys) is the future of Marine Aviation.

Have fun,

CTR
Aircraft design is just one big compromise,,,

Revelation

RE: Sikorsky Management Get A Suprize Visit

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:46 am

Quoting CTR (Thread starter):

You and your staff need to visit Sikorsky headquarters in Stafford Conn for a program review on the status of the new CH-53K.

How do make an impression on Sikorsky management they will never forget?
Arrive in style in two Bell/Boeing V-22 Ospreys!

I know rank has its privileges, but isn't there anything more important for two Ospreys ($220M worth of aircraft) to be doing than transporting generals and their staffs to program reviews?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

bhmbaglock

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:48 am

I can hear P.X. Kelly's Hooaah! from here.

Having worked on the V-22 early on this made my day.
Where are all of my respected members going?

JohnM

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:56 am

The picture says it all. V-22 for show, the real workhorse is flying in the background.

LY744

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting JohnM (Reply 3):
The picture says it all. V-22 for show, the real workhorse is flying in the background.

Surely you're not implying the USMC high-ups had to ask the Army for a ride?  Wink

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

LMP737

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:26 am

Quoting CTR (Thread starter):
The General told Sikorsky management that the Marines will continue to use helicopters, but that (referring to the parked Ospreys) is the future of Marine Aviation.

The General needs to make up his mind. If the V-22 is the future then why are they ordering the CH-53K?

Quoting Revelation (Reply 1):
I know rank has its privileges, but isn't there anything more important for two Ospreys ($220M worth of aircraft) to be doing than transporting generals and their staffs to program reviews?

I guess it could be called cross country training. However as tax payer I hope next time they fly commercial and rent a car.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

sasd209

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:24 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 5):
The General needs to make up his mind. If the V-22 is the future then why are they ordering the CH-53K?

Well, it's probably the same old thing: Different aircraft for different missions. V-22 may very well be the future, but for now conventional rotary-wing A/C do just fine for their missions.

Oh, and OP: I'd be real careful posting those pics, assuming you took them. I assume you did since no credit was given to any other source. UTC as a whole and SAC in particular have a rather harsh policy of taking pics on their property. As a matter of fact, it's expressly forbidden as you'd probably see driving in each day. Just my $0.02.

SASD209

[Edited 2008-08-14 23:30:06]

XT6Wagon

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 am

Quoting SASD209 (Reply 6):
Well, it's probably the same old thing: Different aircraft for different missions. V-22 may very well be the future, but for now conventional rotary-wing A/C do just fine for their missions.

The V-22 is just the first gen of tilt-rotors. The first helicopters sucked, and now they are a mainstay in all military arms. The Tilt-rotor needs to get time, money, and development before it starts to shove other aircraft out of thier roles.

I think its only a matter of time before they move up to kick out C130 sized cargo planes, and down to smaller helicopter operations that require more speed/range.

That said they will NEVER take over all helicopter operations since they cost more, and just can't do many missions as well as a helicopter by thier basic design trade-offs.

CTR
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:44 am

UTC as a whole and SAC in particular have a rather harsh policy of taking pics on their property

Point taken. I do not work for UTC. But I have friends that do. Once the V-22s were sited Sikorsky employees quickly spread the news to friends and family. Many peolple showed up OUTSIDE THE GATES with cameras hoping to catch a glimpse or photo of this historic site.

Before the V-22s departed, selected Sikorsky employees were given the opportunity to take a close up inspection of their competitions handy work.

Have fun,

CTR
Aircraft design is just one big compromise,,,

Curt22

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:59 am

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 7):
The V-22 is just the first gen of tilt-rotors. The first helicopters sucked, and now they are a mainstay in all military arms. The Tilt-rotor needs to get time, money, and development before it starts to shove other aircraft out of thier roles.

Good point and good memory...early helo's were junk compared to what they can do today and someone said...the H-60 is a workhorse...One size in life does not fit all. We need small helo's and large ones and there is room for "Tilts" as well.

hercppmx

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:21 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 5):

The V-22 is currently Replacing the CH-46E which is the USMC's medium lift helo, The CH-53K is an upgrade/replacement of the CH-53D/E models which currently fulfill the USMC's Heavy life helo.

These are just a few of the projects as right now almost all of the USMC aircraft are being replaced or upgraded minus the E/A-6B(afaik)
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

Devilfish

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Quoting LY744 (Reply 4):
Quoting JohnM (Reply 3):

Surely you're not implying the USMC high-ups had to ask the Army for a ride?

What else could fly like a plane and do this?.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gabriel Widyna

Transformer, anyone?  Wink
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield