Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blackbird
Topic Author

Korean-War Jet-Fighter Question

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:10 pm

This is kind of an outgrowth of the WW-II Fighter Question thread.

What kind of G-loads could (jet) fighters of the Korean War withstand? Was it about the same as WW2 piston powered fighters? Or was it less?

Blackbird

moo

RE: Korean-War Jet-Fighter Question

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:47 pm

You do realise you can google this sort of stuff? Its all over the web, just takes a teeny little bit of work...

Blackbird
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:15 am

Moo,

This is an aviation forum... a place where you go where you want to talk about aviation, ask questions that are aviation-related...

I figured going through lengthly searches on Google typing in various queries until I finally find what I need would be rather silly when I'm a member of an aviation forum

Blackbird

sovietjet

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:37 am

The Mig-15 is limited to 5g.

hunterson

Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 am

Great answer by Sovietjet for an equally great question by Blackbird !!!

I do find it odd ( and rather tedious ) that some contributors to this forum prefer to refer to Google, everytime someone raises a serious, or interesting or even plain curious matter for discussion and debate. Why not just close the whole thing down, and let all of us Google everything we want to know about the universe and the human race ?

The whole idea about this forum, is to talk about a subject that we all ( presumably) love and enjoy., with the added bonus of perhaps learning something new every now and then.

So, please, give us a break, and get on with the business !!

As for the original question, i agree with Sovietjet that the MiG-15 was " officially " cleared for 5 G , but I can recall numerous conversations with Egyptian and Syrian pilots making claims that they were easily taking their MiG-15s and MiG-17s up to 7.5 G ( during certain manoevers at low and medium levels ), claims which were in fact later supported by several Israeli pilots who encountered those Arab jets in their Mysteres and Super Mysteres , and even Mirages, during dogfights in the 1960s and 70s.

i am not sure about the F-86 Sabres, and other western types of the Korean War era, but I know for sure that Lebanese and Jordanian pilots were routinely putting their Hawker Hunters under up to 7.5 G forces during that period.

f4wso

Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:28 am

I believe the Korean Conflict was the toughest arena/era to get an aerial victory for US pilots. They had the solve the high velocity of closure (Vc) and the relatively short range .50 cal. Missiles and cannons were in their infancy. The MiGs had gone to a longer range munitions with more throw weight.

As to Google and forums. Google is good for searching numbers. The forum is good for opinions from individuals who may or may not have a depth of knowledge of their pontifications. In any case, it is often interesting reading.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Stealthz

Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:51 am

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):
You do realise you can google this sort of stuff? Its all over the web, just takes a teeny little bit of work...

As much as I agree with this, and I often counsel people to try Google (in my last job it was much easier to find official company material with Google than using the internal "knowledge management system") and as much as I shake my head at some of Andrea's questions. I have learnt a lot from the responses.

So Andrea keep asking and folks keep responding!

Cheers