Zkpilot
Topic Author

Rnzaf Aermacchis May Be Returned To Service

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:28 am

The new Government may look at bringing the air force's decommissioned Aermacchi jets back into service.

The 17 Aermacchi jets and the air force's combat wing of 17 Skyhawk fighter bombers were axed by the Labour government in 2001.

The Skyhawks have been in storage since then waiting for a buyer but the Aermacchis have been regularly flown to keep them operational.

An American company bid to buy the aircraft for $155 million was blocked by the American State Department.

New Defence Minister Wayne Mapp's office was asked by NZPA under the Official Information Act if there was a move to restore the Aermacchis to operational service to work with the army and the navy.
source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10545947

I think this would be an excellent thing for New Zealand to do.
Currently New Zealand has no combat air air, basically the only armed aircraft are the Navy's SuperSeasprites and arming the P-3s for anti-shipping.

Whilst the Aermacchi wouldn't really stand a chance against other fighter aircraft, it is the idea aircraft to use in New Zealand conditions against shipping, for ground support of the Army, and in a defensive role (ie against 9/11 style attacks). Not to mention it provides a training capability for pilots and support people as well as keeping the option open for a future return to having fighter aircraft should the future need arrive.
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

kc135topboom

RE: Rnzaf Aermacchis May Be Returned To Service

Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:44 am

This would be a great first step for the RNZAF.  bigthumbsup 

TSV

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:24 am

They could have two more fighters by putting sidewinders on the 757s ...
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

ferrypilot

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Thread starter):
The new Government may look at bringing the air force's decommissioned Aermacchi jets back into service.

I'd like it if the new government would prevent the closure of Wigram which is currently going to happen in Feb 2009.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Colin Hunter

OD720

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:23 pm

If Lebanon can do it with the Hunters, sure New Zealand can as well.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vatche Mitilian

TSV

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 3):
Wigram

Do they still hold Motor Racing there?

TSV

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:13 pm

ferrypilot

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting TSV (Reply 5):

Do they still hold Motor Racing there?

It is one of the nicest airfields I have ever flown out of and I think it is a great shame that it is closing.

ferrypilot

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Quoting OD720 (Reply 4):
If Lebanon can do it with the Hunters, sure New Zealand can as well.

Just saw your website Vatche. ..."Quite intriguing for anyone who is interested in the Hawker Hunter"

Kent350787

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:43 pm

Would the Macchis be based in NZ, or in Australia as the Skyhawks were? It would be nice get fixed wing movements back to Nowra/Jervis Bay!

Kent

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:19 am

John Key has said no to bringing back the Aermacchis, what he would prefer is more transport planes, I agree.

Nz Herald article:
John Key shoots down return of air strike capability
4:00AM Tuesday Dec 02, 2008

The Government has no plans to restore the Air Force's strike wing, and it is "extremely unlikely" that any jet training capability will be maintained, Prime Minister John Key said yesterday.

"I would have thought the Defence Force has much greater priorities," he said when asked about comments by new Defence Minister Wayne Mapp.

Dr Mapp indicated the Government might look at bringing the decommissioned Aermacchi jet trainers back into service.

The Labour Government axed the 17 Aermacchi jets and the combat wing of 17 Skyhawk fighter bombers in 2001.

The Skyhawks have been in storage since then waiting for a buyer, but the Aermacchis have been regularly flown to keep them operational.

An American company's bid to buy the aircraft for $155 million was blocked by the American State Department.

Dr Mapp's office was asked under the Official Information Act if there was a move to restore the Aermacchis to operational service so they could work with the Army and the Navy.

He responded that a defence white paper to be completed next year would "provide a process to consider whether it is desirable to retain some level of jet training capability".

But Mr Key was clear at a press conference: "There are no plans to restore the Skyhawks and the air strike wing," he said.

Mr Mapp said the sale process for the Skyhawks was continuing.

"Two companies are bidding for US Department of Defence contracts for air training support, which would require the use of ex-RNZAF aircraft.

"If either of these companies is successful, the US State Department and the US Department of Defence have undertaken to fast-track approval for the sale of the aircraft," Mr Mapp said.

- NZPA