ikramerica
Topic Author

Stealth Bomber Circling Pasadena

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02 pm

Today (December 7th) a Stealth Bomber did a few low flying laps around the city of Pasadena, CA.

We had no events going on today, and nobody who had stopped to watch it knew why it was here. Were they doing a dry run for the Rose Parade in a few weeks? And if so, do they often do dry runs like this?

Either way, it's a very interesting plane to watch fly at low levels.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

vikkyvik

RE: Stealth Bomber Circling Pasadena

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:06 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Thread starter):

We had no events going on today, and nobody who had stopped to watch it knew why it was here. Were they doing a dry run for the Rose Parade in a few weeks? And if so, do they often do dry runs like this?

That would be my guess. I was watching TV a few days ago, and they were talking about past Rose Parades; they mentioned that the B-2 had flown over one of them before, a few years ago I assume.

Seems weird that they'd be doing a dry run 3.5 weeks in advance, though.

How low was it flying?

EDIT to add:

I've seen various fighters do a dry run the day before they were to fly over a stadium at the end of the national anthem.

[Edited 2008-12-07 19:08:38]
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ikramerica
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:49 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 1):
Seems weird that they'd be doing a dry run 3.5 weeks in advance, though.

How low was it flying?

They started setting up bleachers 6 weeks in advance. The Tournament of Roses doesn't mess around!  Wink

As for how low, I have no idea. I don't know how big it's supposed to look, having never seen one before. The sky was grey, and the plane is grey with no reflective surfaces, so there was no way to get a feel for it. At first it seemed like a grey kite someone was flying, as it was so graceful and seemed to just hang there (first saw it banking, since you don't hear the plane until after it's already over you).

The reason I thought it might be doing a Parade dry run is that it seemed to fly down Colorado Blvd, then loop back around to the south, then do it again. That would be where the Parade goes.

And yes, i remember it doing a fly by on TV a few years ago. I guess I'll have to look up on January 1 and look for it now that I live here!
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Stitch

Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:29 pm

USAF operational reasons might have meant this was the most convenient time to perform the flight. Or perhaps RBP staff requested it early to check sighting lines or somesuch.

drexotica

Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:57 pm

I've always found watching the B-2 flyby down Colorado Blvd. to be one of the highlights of the Rose Parade. Sure hope they're doing it again this year.
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Spacepope

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Ahh, makes sense. We get these a lot for funerals of former Generals, USAF academy staff, and a few Tuskegee airmen. You can always tell the funeral flyovers as they buzz us on the west side of my house (headed for the chapel) instead of the east side (football stadium).
The last of the famous international playboys